Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Question?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Question?

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu May 26, 2011 6:25 pm

Hello Everyone,

This has nothing to do with Orange but I'm sure tons of people on here have experience with this amp.

So I was playing my friends Hot Rod Deluxe yesterday, and switched over to the drive channel (which he has never used). Anyhow, when ever I switched the amp from dirty to clean there was a loud pop, and roughly a 1 second delay before the clean channel engaged.

I have been checking some of the fender forums, and it appears that the pop is normal. I have not however found anything regarding the channel switching lag.

Is this normal for this amp?

Thanks,

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Question?

Post by Neiloler » Thu May 26, 2011 6:43 pm

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Thu May 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Let me start by saying i have no experience what-so-ever with this amp(good start eh? :wink: ) but i did get the same thing with my old triple rectifier. To remedy this i had to switch the amp on as usual to standby then before switching to 'on' i would switch channels a few times going through the(many) buttons on the footswitch, once i did this the popping was gone as was the slight delay in switching.

I'm thinking the fender has a different footswitch jack than the din connector on the mesa and probably a different switching method but as i said, i know nothing about this amp and its a nice and easy fix if it works for you.

EDIT: Doh, just seen neil posted a thread on it.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu May 26, 2011 7:43 pm

Hey man, that's practical advice, way better than a link. :)

I know it's basically caused by the relays building up some sort of charge or something and not reacting quickly. One of the solutions I believe was to switch it a bunch so the relay would electronically "acclimate" to the right coil charge (not sure...) levels? Not sure.

If it were me, I'd want to fix it so I didn't have to do that. I believe the Unofficial Hot Rod Users' Manual details fixing it. It's been a while since I looked at it myself (been a while since I owned a Hot Rod :)), but seriously, that site is AWESOME for Hot Rod owners of all makes and models.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu May 26, 2011 8:34 pm

I used to have one, didn't like it very much for the drive. Nice clean tones though. However, those amps seem to be full of malfunction. I've read tons of complaints on them. Things like, the channel switching failing, the pops, bad pots, tube failures and lots of solder joints actually weakening and breaking when the amp gets hot and vibrates.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Thu May 26, 2011 11:14 pm

tell yr boy to switch the HRD for a silverface and a good fuzzbox. you get the great cleans, better reverb, tremolo and you don't have that shite sounding drive channel to muck up the amp.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Fri May 27, 2011 2:15 am

chinese fork tie wrote:tell yr boy to switch the HRD for a silverface and a good fuzzbox. you get the great cleans, better reverb, tremolo and you don't have that shite sounding drive channel to muck up the amp.
one of the worst I ever heard in a tube amp
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Cordboard
Tiny Terror

Post by Cordboard » Fri May 27, 2011 5:21 am

Neiloler wrote:It's covered here: http://www.justinholton.com/hotrod/
Glad to see that this website has come back to life! It has been a while...

You can always hot rod your hot rod and make it a cool amp. I have a 4x10 I bought new in 96, changed the tubes, experimented with a little bias fiddling and play it whenever I get the chance to go for power tube distortion on a 60W amp! That is, not often...

All jokes aside, it makes for a great pedal platform.

ESBlonde
Orange Master

Post by ESBlonde » Fri May 27, 2011 12:51 pm

The HRD is Fenders longest running production run and biggest (unit) selling combo ever. So there are a lot of amps out there and you can expect a lot of failures although proportionally they are very tiny (otherwise Fender would be bankrupted with warranty claims).

The more drive is possibly a bit OTT but the drive (up to about 4) is very usable. It makes a good platform for a guitar setup at a price thats just right.
Here we go; three, four...

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Fri May 27, 2011 1:11 pm

I have a HRD and never noticed any popping or lag sound when channel switching, cause well to be totally honest, I have only ever used the drive channel once, maybe twice. I don`t like the sounds it is capable of, to my ears anyways, I find the clean channel absolutely amazing when used with a touch of chorus, but the drive is lacking in all departments for my tastes.

But if you want to run pedals they are a great amp, for the money.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Fri May 27, 2011 3:01 pm

Finally... The Unofficial Hot Rod Owner's Guide is back!
What a painful year w/o.
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫