NAME the POPULARITY that you never GOT or UNDERSTOOD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: NAME the POPULARITY that you never GOT or UNDERSTOOD

Post by Neiloler » Fri May 27, 2011 6:02 pm

jackincaves wrote:I may regret saying this, but Hendrix. As a songwriter I think he's great (but not THAT great) and as a guitarist he just doesn't do it for me.

I'll get my coat.
I feel this way about him. I often times dig John Mayer's renditions of his songs more than his originals. ;)

The Beatles sometimes. I'm coming around to getting over their universality and digging their stuff. ;)

I thought this thread was going to be about those kids in high school we all thought were jerks but were so popular. Now I have nowhere to vent all this emotional angst. ;)

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Fri May 27, 2011 6:23 pm

Ooh vent away Neil, I think we can all join in there :D
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri May 27, 2011 6:28 pm

Haha, well, there was this one kid who loved Pearl Jam. I wasn't big on their tunes, and if I ever mentioned that, he'd just go off on me or anyone else like we had tried to say with a straight face that eating dung was pleasureable without major mental problems. He was just amazing, one of the biggest tools I've ever met. I've since talked to him on facebook, debated on telling him he was, but figured if he hasn't figured it out, then he probably never will.

I thought it was sad, because since I've come to enjoy some of Pearl Jam's stuff, at least to the point where I'm at peace with the band and can more easily separate my dislike for fan boi from band's efforts as artists.

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri May 27, 2011 6:33 pm

You know what I never understood the popularity of?

Internet threads where all people do is bitch about what they dislike, hate or just "don't get".

Really? There's not enough other negative sh!t going on in your life or in the world that you've got to come here and wallow in more morass? Sad. very sad.
Greg

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri May 27, 2011 6:40 pm

Neiloler wrote:Haha, well, there was this one kid who loved Pearl Jam. I wasn't big on their tunes, and if I ever mentioned that, he'd just go off on me or anyone else like we had tried to say with a straight face that eating dung was pleasureable without major mental problems. He was just amazing, one of the biggest tools I've ever met. I've since talked to him on facebook, debated on telling him he was, but figured if he hasn't figured it out, then he probably never will.

I thought it was sad, because since I've come to enjoy some of Pearl Jam's stuff, at least to the point where I'm at peace with the band and can more easily separate my dislike for fan boi from band's efforts as artists.
Profound.

And btw, to those of you who don't get why pop artists and rappers are so big (I think Kesha and Little Wayne were mentioned in here?), how don't you get it??? I mean think about it. Look at the audience. All they care about is what they perceive to be cool at the moment. It's marketed by record companies. It's presented in a pretty package. And most of all, the choruses are singable and memorable. All else matters not. Do you think that the majority of people who listen to those artists or the last passing fads took any time to learn the lyrics or find out what the song meanings were? Doubtful.

I knew a kid once. Devout religious type. He absolutely love A Perfect Circle. One day I explained to him that the majority of their songs are anti religion, christianity in specific. He was literally hurt. And he wanted to find a way to continue liking the music!

Mass appeal isn't about appeal at all. It's more like brainwashing. If you can get 10 people to like the chorus of one song, and they each talk about it to 10 more people, or other people see them enjoying it, it's instanly got appeal. It's called social proof. It doesn't have to be good, it just has to be PERCEIVED as good.

Anyway most of the artists that people on here enjoy are far to intellectual and or substantial to be understood and liked by the public..

/rant
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Fri May 27, 2011 6:42 pm

Neiloler wrote:Haha, well, there was this one kid who loved Pearl Jam. I wasn't big on their tunes, and if I ever mentioned that, he'd just go off on me or anyone else like we had tried to say with a straight face that eating dung was pleasureable without major mental problems. He was just amazing, one of the biggest tools I've ever met. I've since talked to him on facebook, debated on telling him he was, but figured if he hasn't figured it out, then he probably never will.

All the 'popular' kids liked Simple Minds & U2 (shudder) when I was in the sixth form. They had it on the stereo all the time, drove me nuts tbh!
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri May 27, 2011 6:47 pm

hellagnar Brosevelt wrote:...I will back up the Guns and Roses but only because I dont get the Slash hype. Songs are great. His playing I find mediocre at best yet he gets labeled along with all the greats all the time...
Slash is not real. I guess your parents haven't told you about Vunter Slaush yet?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri May 27, 2011 6:49 pm

Norrin Radd wrote:You know what I never understood the popularity of?

Internet threads where all people do is bitch about what they dislike, hate or just "don't get".

Really? There's not enough other negative sh!t going on in your life or in the world that you've got to come here and wallow in more morass? Sad. very sad.
Wow, that's a really negative way to look at it :lol: .

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Fri May 27, 2011 7:02 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
Norrin Radd wrote:You know what I never understood the popularity of?

Wow, that's a really negative way to look at it :lol: .
You're too negative about the negative, Randy!

Wait!! That makes you positive!!

I just don't get you, man.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

Emilio Estevez
Tiny Terror

Post by Emilio Estevez » Fri May 27, 2011 7:06 pm

Music is overrated

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Fri May 27, 2011 8:00 pm

So is chocolate.
Monty

Emilio Estevez
Tiny Terror

Post by Emilio Estevez » Fri May 27, 2011 8:04 pm

Ddjembe Mutombo wrote:So is chocolate.
And what about Condom ?

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri May 27, 2011 8:39 pm

Emilio Estevez wrote:Music is overrated
Say it with a smile! :)

Emilio Estevez
Tiny Terror

Post by Emilio Estevez » Fri May 27, 2011 8:42 pm

Neiloler wrote:
Emilio Estevez wrote:Music is overrated
Say it with a smile! :)
:wink:

cheezewiz

Post by cheezewiz » Fri May 27, 2011 8:57 pm

ScottyDanger wrote:
cheezewiz wrote:If there is a soundtrack in hell, it's Nickelback.

Of the "classic rockers", I never got Bruce Springsteen or the Grateful Dead. I find them both incredibly boring, and Springsteen takes himself way too seriously.
If you think the Dead are boring, then you're probably listening to their studio records, and I agree. What was special about them was their improvised live shows and the whole way they ran their band. They also basically invented the gigantic PA system. There's a lot of really special stuff about the band, but jam music is definitely an acquired taste, and they're not the easiest to get into. Being born in the early 60s and smoking lots of pot will help a lot with appreciating them. That said, I'm 21 and don't listen to them at all, but I listen to their contemporaries.
I was born in the 60's and smoked lots of pot in the olden days. :)
http://www.allieandtherockers.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rustyvinyl.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;