NAME the POPULARITY that you never GOT or UNDERSTOOD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Re: NAME the POPULARITY that you never GOT or UNDERSTOOD

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu May 26, 2011 8:43 pm

I don't think sid was going negative on us, but the thread went that way. There are things I don't understand the popularity of:

SUVs in cities that are flat and don't get snow

Leisure suits (yes, they were popular when I was in high school)

Led Zepplin (I always thought of them as a Cream-wannabe band) - not saying that they were not good, but the worship they have engendered does not seem deserved

Cell phones - if I didn't require one for when I am on call, I wouldn't own one. When I don't want to be available all the time.

Nearly all rap and hip hop

The Beasty Boys - who are banned for life in our house

I understand Madonna's appeal. She is very smart, very savvy, and managed to bring some life and emotion to electronic music. Ke$ha and Lady Gaga are just rip offs of Madonna.

The question is whether some of the things I don't get is because I am too old, too stupid, an arrogant snob, or because as Frank Zappa once put it: "Most people wouldn't know good music if it came up and bit them in the …"
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Powderman

Post by Powderman » Thu May 26, 2011 8:52 pm

SUVs for sure, I dont hate alot of things but this is one of them.

I hate excess, like when someone buys a truck cause he needs to tow a trailer twice a year and then just ends up using it to drive to work by himself idling away in rush hour traffic. that really harshes my mellow. whats worse is they are the ones demanding cheap fuel without any understanding that their own wasteful excessive behavior is the reason.

Emilio Estevez
Tiny Terror

Post by Emilio Estevez » Thu May 26, 2011 8:54 pm

You are hard with those Beastie Boys !

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Post by leopoldbloom » Thu May 26, 2011 9:20 pm

Pink Floyd - They always have been on The Wrong Side of the Spoon for me, while almost everyone I know enjoys their music
The Clash - How can they rate as punk?
SRV - He should have remained unknown. All people who have been listening to hair metal, now worship SRV, it doesn't fit
Last edited by leopoldbloom on Thu May 26, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu May 26, 2011 10:05 pm

I've never heard any of the SUV's music, but the Leisure Suits were pretty good :wink: .

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu May 26, 2011 10:27 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I've never heard any of the SUV's music, but the Leisure Suits were pretty good :wink: .
Finally, something that makes sense.

To understand Hendrix, you need to be old enough to understand it. There was no one in the mainstream doing what Hendrix melded together. And try to learn Castles Made Of Sand and get back to us...

SRV would not have existed without Hendrix.

Van Headache would not have existed without Montrose.

Poison, Motley Crue, Hanoi Rocks, etc etc would not have existed without the New York Dolls.

The New York Dolls would not have existed without doo wop and blues...

Most other rock bands wouldn't have existed without The Beatles.

The Beatles wouldn't have existed without Eddie Cochran, Elvis, and skiffle.

etc etc....

All opinions are subjective, but an opinion that someone will value has to have some real knowledge behind it to demonstrate that the person with the opinion has a true understanding of the opinion.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu May 26, 2011 11:43 pm

Ugg boots! WTH?!?! I never understood the need for sweaty feet......

And lap dogs in clothing! COMMON!!!!

Yeah, I'm not going to touch the music topic of this thread.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Thu May 26, 2011 11:50 pm

and yet no one has explained bjork.

didn't she star in that "horsebic" video?
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Fri May 27, 2011 1:01 am

Borderline Productions wrote:Led Zepplin (I always thought of them as a Cream-wannabe band) - not saying that they were not good, but the worship they have engendered does not seem deserved
I'm not the only one who doesn't really get LZ? I'm glad to hear that, I thought something was wrong with me for not really being able to get into them...

I do say, the Beastie Boys are fun though!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

drinkercope

Post by drinkercope » Fri May 27, 2011 1:08 am

bassdrop wrote:Wow. I can say that I disagree with most of what is posted on this thread. Why not try opening your minds to music that is both popular and not? Because honestly, if you don't "get" the Beatles, Hendrix, Guns N Roses, Dave Matthews, or Bob Marley I feel sorry for you, because that's just sad.

I'd rather talk about music that isn't popular but should be. How about Danny Gatton, Fela Kuti, MMW, Le Chat Noir- you guys rock!, the list goes on. I'd rather be positive than negative, so f this thread.
Aw come on, its all in good fun. I don't think anyone is attacking anyone else. I don't think it needs to be taken so seriously. I didn't when I responded.

I'm pretty new around here, but I like this forum and it is the only one I ever post on. I don't feel the need to stick my nose everywhere but I come here because it's relevent to me and the negativity and flame wars are kept to a minimum. You can get a lot of different points of view from people all over the world with all kinds of experience united by a common interest. I only post when I feel I have something relevent to add. Even if it's a silly joke.

Yeah, this thread is pretty "stupid," but who cares? I don't think anyone who dislikes it immensely has to participate. What's wrong with having a stupid discussion every now and then? My bandmates and I do it several times a weekend while drinking after practices. It's a great way to unwind.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri May 27, 2011 1:20 am

bclaire wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:I've never heard any of the SUV's music, but the Leisure Suits were pretty good :wink: .
Finally, something that makes sense.

To understand Hendrix, you need to be old enough to understand it. There was no one in the mainstream doing what Hendrix melded together. And try to learn Castles Made Of Sand and get back to us...

SRV would not have existed without Hendrix.

Van Headache would not have existed without Montrose.

Poison, Motley Crue, Hanoi Rocks, etc etc would not have existed without the New York Dolls.

The New York Dolls would not have existed without doo wop and blues...

Most other rock bands wouldn't have existed without The Beatles.

The Beatles wouldn't have existed without Eddie Cochran, Elvis, and skiffle.

etc etc....

All opinions are subjective, but an opinion that someone will value has to have some real knowledge behind it to demonstrate that the person with the opinion has a true understanding of the opinion.
and none of the above would have existed without Hank Williams

and Van Halen wouldn't have existed without Skynyrd
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri May 27, 2011 1:21 am

leopoldbloom wrote:The Clash - How can they rate as punk?

if all you've heard is rock the kasbah then i'd let this slide - - but the fact that you need to even ask this question terrifies me

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri May 27, 2011 1:26 am

bassdrop wrote:Wow. I can say that I disagree with most of what is posted on this thread. Why not try opening your minds to music that is both popular and not? Because honestly, if you don't "get" the Beatles, Hendrix, Guns N Roses, Dave Matthews, or Bob Marley I feel sorry for you, because that's just sad.
Dave Matthews?

oh please....

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri May 27, 2011 2:21 am

I wasn't under the impression that having an open mind means having to like everything you hear, but I'll keep an open mind about it :D .

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri May 27, 2011 2:55 am

myboss57 wrote:
Borderline Productions wrote:Led Zepplin (I always thought of them as a Cream-wannabe band) - not saying that they were not good, but the worship they have engendered does not seem deserved
I'm not the only one who doesn't really get LZ? I'm glad to hear that, I thought something was wrong with me for not really being able to get into them...

I do say, the Beastie Boys are fun though!

the beastie boys are excellent - and consistently excellent

their latest album hot sauce committee is great - and the 29 minute short film that accompanies the album is the funniest thing i have seen in ages

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evA-R9OS-Vo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;