NAME the POPULARITY that you never GOT or UNDERSTOOD

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Re: NAME the POPULARITY that you never GOT or UNDERSTOOD

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu May 26, 2011 4:26 am

OU818 wrote:This is a stupid topic, sorry guys but it is.

Let's all rag on music that we didn't like but others did.

Taste is subjective. If this is still news to you guys then maybe you should just give up on music now and become a critic.
What's this? A voice of reason here on the Orange forum?!?!? :wink:

I should have realized you were a bright lad when I saw RV50 MK1 in your sig. Best amp in the world! : 8)
Greg

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Thu May 26, 2011 6:50 am

what the hell is the appeal of kesha and lady gaga? i mean, it's awfully progressive of us americans to be so accepting of drag queens, but what drugs are people on that they've convinced themselves those creatures are even remotely listenable?

i really just don't understand the current pop charts in this country. fxck the arcade fire, justin bieber looks like a 22 year old lesbian, and lil wayne is a terrible rapper and completely talentless drug addict. gahd, i'm moving to the moon to get away from all this shite music.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu May 26, 2011 12:38 pm

jackincaves wrote:I may regret saying this, but Hendrix. As a songwriter I think he's great (but not THAT great) and as a guitarist he just doesn't do it for me.

I'll get my coat.
I get what your saying about Hendrix, but I think the important thing with Hendrix is that he was a pioneer of the way electric guitar and rock is played. He did alot of things nobody heard come out of a guitar before and if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have alot of the great players / bands we have today.

Captain Wedge
Rocker

Post by Captain Wedge » Thu May 26, 2011 1:01 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:what the hell is the appeal of kesha and lady gaga? i mean, it's awfully progressive of us americans to be so accepting of drag queens, but what drugs are people on that they've convinced themselves those creatures are even remotely listenable?

i really just don't understand the current pop charts in this country. fxck the arcade fire, justin bieber looks like a 22 year old lesbian, and lil wayne is a terrible rapper and completely talentless drug addict. gahd, i'm moving to the moon to get away from all this shite music.
Hopefully classic rock will make a comeback in the next decade.
One person who is talented is Brad Paisley. I saw him in March and it was great.
He is a good songwriter and a great guitar player.
Fender Stratocaster || Les Paul || Garrison Acoustic
Orange Dual Terror

Emilio Estevez
Tiny Terror

Post by Emilio Estevez » Thu May 26, 2011 2:19 pm

Hendrix is a good musician, a agood guitarist... I just don't get it...why this guy got the ''god status'' ... IMHO, SRV is 100 times better guitarist (tighter and by far most constant) than Hendrix and a lot less known...

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Thu May 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Taste is subjective. If this is still news to you guys then maybe you should just give up on music now and become a critic.
+1

And as a critic I say limp bizkit, korn, stained and all that nonsense.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Emilio Estevez
Tiny Terror

Post by Emilio Estevez » Thu May 26, 2011 2:43 pm

Icarus wrote:

+1

And as a critic I say limp bizkit, korn, stained and all that nonsense.
Old Korn deserve some repesct in their ''genre''. If you don't like that kind of music, of course you'll hate Korn. But I think Korn sounds like a more agressive version of Primus (ok their are not as good musicians... but you get the point)

They changed a lot of thing in the 90's sound. at least, their 4 first albums was good.

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Thu May 26, 2011 3:25 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:justin bieber looks like a 22 year old lesbian
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't get the Lady Gaga/Ke$ha thing at all - okay, they may be marketing geniuses, but I don't really buy that. They are just Madonna ripoffs aligning with the "80s Culture Comeback" bullsh!t, IMO.

Music is subjective, everyone has their own opinions - even if they are wrong (as in the case with all this dissing on Hendrix). :D
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Thu May 26, 2011 3:39 pm

A lot of these older bands need to be taken into context of when they first blew up, like Hendrix and the Beatles and stuff like that. Sure, by today's standards, they're noting impressive and their lower-fi recordings don't do much to help them in today's world, but these guys pioneered music as we know it. I'm on 21, I wasn't there, so I'm not that old guy insisting that today's music sucks, I'm just putting things in the proper perspective.

As far as an artist that I never understood the appeal of, I'm going to have to say Dave Matthews Band. I'm pretty sure they're just music for co-eds who wants to drink light beer in public and pretend they appreciate good music.

Also, as far as popularity goes, I do NOT know how Adele got so freaking famous. Yeah, she's great, but she's not special enough in my opinion to have this superstar level of popularity. Shows you how starved the world is for someone with talent nowadays. You can also replace Adele with 'Bruno Mars' in the same statement and it's true as well. I own all of their records, and listen to them occasionally, but I don't know how they're so freaking popular.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

Emilio Estevez
Tiny Terror

Post by Emilio Estevez » Thu May 26, 2011 3:46 pm

ScottyDanger wrote: As far as an artist that I never understood the appeal of, I'm going to have to say Dave Matthews Band. I'm pretty sure they're just music for co-eds who wants to drink light beer in public and pretend they appreciate good music.
How the hell do you know my crazy ex-girlfriend ?

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu May 26, 2011 3:58 pm

Well said. One thing I've always liked about the Orange forum is it tends to be a bit more positive than others. Sure, I get sucked into these threads too sometimes and they can be hilarious if people manage to stay in good spirits, but too many threads of 'pick your worst...' can quickly turn a useful forum into an immature flame fest....
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

BadMonkey
Tiny Terror

Post by BadMonkey » Thu May 26, 2011 4:16 pm

I know loads of you hate metal..... I love it :mrgreen:

it's making a huge comeback in popularity :D

I CAN see why many people dislike it....

one thing I don't get is why so many people like all this new cheesy pop stuff, true some of it sounds cool but, i just can't dig it :?
many people who like it say that metal isn't music it's just raging noise, that can be true for some metal song/bands but IMO that modern pop stuff isn't music because, there usually aren't any instruments and a lot of the time the star/s can't actually sing (black eyed peas for example...)

that is just my opinion though
:D :) :( :o :shock: :? 8) :lol: :x :P :oops: :cry: :evil: :twisted: :roll: :wink: :!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen:

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu May 26, 2011 4:38 pm

ScottyDanger wrote:... like Hendrix and the Beatles and stuff like that. Sure, by today's standards, they're noting impressive and their lower-fi recordings don't do much to help them in today's world...
I think that the Beatles' music is very hifi and made all the more impressive by today's standards, which have sunk to an embarrasing all-time low. I think you are confusing hifi and "compressed the living sh!t out of until it all sounds the same and has no dynamics left except for quiet followed by blow your head off". A little tape hiss or buzz from the guitarist's amp never disturbed me if I was getting a realistic, higly dynamic reproduction of a performance. Hifi stands for High Fidelity, a faithfull reproduction of the original, not a studio wizard's wet dream.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Thu May 26, 2011 8:16 pm

Wendigo wrote:
ScottyDanger wrote:... like Hendrix and the Beatles and stuff like that. Sure, by today's standards, they're noting impressive and their lower-fi recordings don't do much to help them in today's world...
I think that the Beatles' music is very hifi and made all the more impressive by today's standards, which have sunk to an embarrasing all-time low. I think you are confusing hifi and "compressed the living sh!t out of until it all sounds the same and has no dynamics left except for quiet followed by blow your head off". A little tape hiss or buzz from the guitarist's amp never disturbed me if I was getting a realistic, higly dynamic reproduction of a performance. Hifi stands for High Fidelity, a faithfull reproduction of the original, not a studio wizard's wet dream.
Nah man, I'm an audiophile! I get it, trust me. I'm talking about people who think the Beatles are overrated, they would perceive the recordings as being of lower quality.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Thu May 26, 2011 8:21 pm

Wow. I can say that I disagree with most of what is posted on this thread. Why not try opening your minds to music that is both popular and not? Because honestly, if you don't "get" the Beatles, Hendrix, Guns N Roses, Dave Matthews, or Bob Marley I feel sorry for you, because that's just sad.

I'd rather talk about music that isn't popular but should be. How about Danny Gatton, Fela Kuti, MMW, Le Chat Noir- you guys rock!, the list goes on. I'd rather be positive than negative, so f this thread.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact