It's official: I've sold out

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Re: It's official: I've sold out

Post by tadaitstyler » Mon May 23, 2011 8:15 am

I'm still intrigued by their "line 6 link" with the new DT50 and an HD500. Seems like it has potential to sound good. And hauling that setup around would be a breeze. Not to mention no pedal dance whatsoever.

rufus
Tiny Terror

Post by rufus » Mon May 23, 2011 8:16 am

I've bought the hd300 in november, since then i sold my pedals and my rocker 30.
I only play at home and the HD with a monitor gives me all the tones i want at volumes neighbours can live with, haven't felt sorry that i sold the rocker and it's been 3 months now.
If i would play in a band it would be a whole different story, but for home use this is a very good sounding versatile unit.
You get 22 amp models that sound good, period. Lots of effects, a tuner wahwah/volume pedal and a usb interface to record.
For the price of 2 boutique pedals :D .

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Mon May 23, 2011 9:30 am

The times I played at church I was the happiest when I played my tech21 liverpool into the board (plus a delay of course ;D). My amps always sounded wrong at church volume and they were too heavy for 5 songs.

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Tue May 24, 2011 5:40 pm

Our guitarist has played a Line 6 POD for years through a Mesa 20/20. It does sound way better than it has any right to. I've heard plenty of guys playing Line 6 gear that sounds awful, but it does sound substantially better through a clean tube amp. Lately the Mesa's been on the fritz so he's been playing it through his Dad's '66 Princeton. That sounds even better. So much so that he's considering reworking the entire rig around that amp or one very much like it. A M13 or M9 would probably be involved.

I don't have any doubt that many good tones can be had from modeling gear, it just takes patience to set it up and tweak it until it sounds good.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:03 pm

irish_admiral wrote:Myboss - the HD500 has the M13 family of effects on it. I like the delays and reverbs: they're really good. The overdrives aren't bad - certainly much better than they used to be - but still not up to the standard of my better pedals. The Coloursound drive and the tubescreamer sound pretty good and realistic to my ears though.
Thanks for the info! I haven't been to a music store in ages, but I have a few pedals (based on some of my posts here a few weeks back) that I'll need to check out, and the HD500 has been added now! I don't plan on using any of the overdrive or distortion models - the Orange tones on that front are precious to me! But I want something that I can layer with delay/verbs/spacey ambience sounds...

I'm going to need a full Saturday to do this all I think... :lol:
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue May 24, 2011 9:02 pm

Interestingly enough, the Orange AD30 tone that was on the old Pod X3 Live seems to have been one of the most favoured tones on the board. It hasn't made its way onto the HD500 though... maybe they'll model it at some point and add it on.

Having played with it for another week or so, i'm getting to like it more. The overdrives are fairly decent. The coloursound one is a good low to medium gain box, and the tubescreamer sounds like a tubescreamer but without the bass loss. They didn't sound good at first as I hadn't worked out how to move them around the signal chain. I put them 'in front of' the amp and all of a sudden it sounded fine.

You can still run external effects through the HD500 as well, and choose where you want to put them. So if you have a favourite G2D creamtone or something, you can insert it in front of the amp model. Or if you have a favourite delay, you can park it after the amp model.

The Vox AC30 model on this thing is really really good... i've been enjoying it with my Tele this afternoon whilst the neighbours were out...

Myboss, if you do get round to trying one, i'd try to actually buy one from a place that lets you return it within 30 days if you don't like it... it took me a little while to work out how to tweak things on it and the stock patches they have on there aren't great. If you use it in a shop you won't really get a feel for it.

I plugged it into my computer speaker system as it sounded better through that than headphones, and gives a better representation of what it would be like through a PA direct. Once i'd worked out how to edit things, I started dialling in some good tones.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Tue May 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Yes, that's a good point on the return. I think GC has that sort of policy (and that's likely the place I'd be going to try and compare some of these Line 6 models anyways). I'd definitely want the chance to check it out with the band and see how it holds up with that!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

colfaxrev
Orange Expert

Post by colfaxrev » Tue May 24, 2011 9:47 pm

i thought you got a paid gig in a pop rock band with a girl fronting it, i guess i was wrong
http://animalbeast.fm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed May 25, 2011 2:10 am

colfaxrev wrote:i thought you got a paid gig in a pop rock band with a girl fronting it, i guess i was wrong
I'd gladly sell out in that context :D .

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu May 26, 2011 9:08 am

Ha... no... just a weekend warrior...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...