OT: The one and ONLY beer thread!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:35 am

So many beers and so little time... I like most good quality ales, and there are so many in the UK that it's impossible to list them. Badger Champion / Golden Glory, Coniston Bluebird, Harviestoun Bitter 'n' Twisted, Black Sheep, Deuchars IPA, Wadworth Summersault, Newcastle Brown... those would probably top the list of ales I like.

As far as mainstream lagers go, I only drink premium export stuff. Can't stand cheap tat. Oh, Smo is correct on Fosters. They just don't have the stuff in Oz! And it's no loss, believe me. Other than that, i'll go for Grolsch, Kronenbourg, Carlsberg Export and other European export lagers... although not Stella. Found a great beer in Bosnia that translates as "Nectar", but this forum hasn't got Cyrillic characters so I can't type its proper name.

Different beers suit different situations, and there IS a beer for every situation.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

peter6toy
Orange Expert

Post by peter6toy » Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:18 am

Guys guys guys ... Andy will back me up here ... The best beer of the world is found in Belgium!

1. DUVEL
2. CHIMAY
3. WESTVLETEREN
peter
AD200B-MKII (#083/090) / OBC810 (199x) / OBC410 (2006) / OD120 (1976) / ORANGE 'TOASTER' Micro-amp

filip
Tiny Terror

Post by filip » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:02 am

this is something for me:)! I am from Czech Republic -country where pilsner lager was born and than spread over the world. Even Germans love to visit Czech for beer. Pilsner Urquel is NO. 1, if you would like to find out what real beer means and how it taste, you must go to PRAGUE, I am sorry to say that, but Fosters, Millers and all US beers taste very synthetic:x:x:x and has nothing to do with good beer. You must drink it to believe it:D
filip

filip
Tiny Terror

Post by filip » Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:08 am

Belgian beers are not bad I agree. At least you can drink it...:) It is very individual depending on everyones taste, but I think that US beers are good for shoe polishing... US guys, please don't take it personaly!!! I am just kidding:)

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by peter6toy</i>
<br />Guys guys guys ... Andy will back me up here ... The best beer of the world is found in Belgium!

1. DUVEL
2. CHIMAY
3. WESTVLETEREN

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
filip

littlefred
Rocker

Post by littlefred » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:02 pm

Ah, beer! My other main interest apart from music! I'm a member of a beer-tasting (and drinking) group and we've tried about 530 kinds of beer so far. Number one at the moment is Young's Double Chocolate Stout. I tend to like most ales and stouts and real pilsner, mostly British, Irish, Belgian and Czech brews in other words. However there's no denying that a cold Corona with a slice of lime on a hot summers day is fantastic... If you want to check out our not-so-serious beer list, go to www.hoshis.org/hashish
Joe

Magnus Pettersen
Orange Master

Post by Magnus Pettersen » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:23 pm

+10 to Joe for the Grolsch and the Kronenburg! Great beer that is!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:41 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tango</i>
<br />Not too much beer drinking going on here either, tho I do drink Bud sometimes when I'm out.

Real Bud from Czech Republic or American Bud from God knows where...?

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:41 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bclaire</i>
<br />Well, maybe not necessarily Guinness since that Irish not English.

Oh, I know that, but I thought if there were such a gathering, we would be required to have Guiness in honor of Joe (Irish_Admiral), since he DOES lead the whole forum in posts! ;)

Plus, don't think there is another beer I like as much as a good Black and Tan.:)
Greg

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:45 pm

But Joes about as Irish as George W Bush!

That is to say he is certainly not full Irish, I dont even think hes half Irish.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:52 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ECWeagles</i>
<br />But Joes about as Irish as George W Bush!

That is to say he is certainly not full Irish, I dont even think hes half Irish.

What!?!?!? Scandal!!!! If true, I believe he has to change his screen name. I can't go for that kind of misrepresentation. ;)
Greg

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:38 pm

My latest beer love is Smithwicks. mmm mmm good. And when I feel like really splurging Samuel Smiths is unbelievably good. We have some local brews in Maryland also worth getting especially off a good tap- Backfin and DogfishHead (actually from Delaware).
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

mistyfog
Orange Hero

Post by mistyfog » Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:51 pm

Yeah Smithwicks is very nice. I love a good pint of guinness. Ive recently only learned of Corona extra and i really like it... mhh waht else, i drink bud on tap alot, you guys dont like it??? whats bad about it, fill me in!!! Ive grown to hate cider and Bulmers(irish cider) is the only thing people seem drink here these days. Red bull and vodka is also extremely popular, as are fat frogs(a mix of orange bacardi, smirnoff ice and blue wicked, the thee colours turn green when mixed)

Me on a night out, Jameson(fab bitter irish whiskey, stick your sweet tastin Jack Daniels where the sun dont shine) on the rocks to start and then i vary between guinness and jameson with club lemon(just a mixer).

Ive kind of wandered off into the whole spirits territory now....

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:20 pm

Well you can work out how Irish I am... dad born in Dublin, to an Irish mother and English father, but moved to England when he was quite young. So he's either wholly, half or possibly 3/4 Irish. You can work out the percentages for what I am...

... and no Guinness in my honour. Can't stand the stuff.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

mistyfog
Orange Hero

Post by mistyfog » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:25 pm

Yeah there is alot of Bu*****t surrounding guinness, people drinking it for the name, bloody tourist yanks make me laugh when the're in the pubs. A half pint of guinness and the face on them when there tasting it, youd swear they were biting a lemon!!!

shzbard
Orange Master

Post by shzbard » Thu Aug 04, 2005 5:47 pm

Fullers London Pride Hondeydew beer...
No wait a second, I've never drunk beer in my life.. Far too young for that.. >_>

Good idea Magnus!
crusha