Finally got some tracks recorded of the new band

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

Finally got some tracks recorded of the new band

Post by Wired » Sun May 01, 2011 8:13 am

We have been doing live off the floor demos using a BR1600 and a pair of SM57's room micing every practice. Been getting okay results, and thought I would share a few of them.

These are all just guitars and drums. Seeing as how we don't got a vocalist or bassist yet.... :)

http://soundcloud.com/issacbhi/evansburntearth-apr22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
EvansBurntEarth:
Guitar 1: Gretsch Power Fire Jet, Vox AC30, Mesa Transatlantic, Crowther Hot Cake, Maxon AD999, POG2
Guitar 2: Les Paul BFG, Fender amp, Marshall JCM900 50w dual reverb, Maxon 808

http://soundcloud.com/issacbhi/dumbpuppet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dumb Puppet
Guitar 1: PRS Custom 24, Vox AC30, Transatlantic, Emma Reezafratzitz, Diamond Compressor, POG2, Retrosonic Phaser
Guitar 2: Les Paul BFG, Fender, Marshall JCM900, Maxon 808, Marshall Echo Head, Crybaby, Boss ME70

http://soundcloud.com/issacbhi/portal-apr22-cut" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Portal (p.s. this one is strange)
Guitar 1: PRS Custom 24, Vox AC30, Transatlantic, Dr. Scientist Tremoloessence, Vox Time Machine, Line 6 DL4, Diamond Compressor, POG2, Emma Reezafratzitz
Guitar 2: Strat, Fender., JCM900, Maxon OD808, EHX Freeze, Marshall Echohead, Boss ME70

http://soundcloud.com/issacbhi/unfamili ... s-april-22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Unfamiliar Ceilings
Guitar 1: Gretsch, Vox, Transatlantic, DL4, Hot Cake, Xotic AC Booster, Retro Phaser, Malekko Ekko 616, Diamond Compressor
Guitar 2: Les Paul BFG, Fender, JCM900, EHX Freeze, Marshall Echohead

Comments if you got them please! We're pretty excited about what we have written so far. 2 more songs to go and then we will start looking at booking studio time. (we will play bass and do our own vocals for pre-production until we can find permanent members for those roles)
Last edited by Wired on Thu May 05, 2011 11:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

myboss57
Orange Master

Re: Finally got some tracks recorded of the new band

Post by myboss57 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:07 pm

I really look forward to hearing the final studio cuts! I like the dissonant chords here and there in the first track! Sounds nice!

What style are the vocals going to be? I could really hear a lot of different things here; screaming, singing, mix of both, etc.

Nice work!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sun May 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Thanks!

We wanna find a very melodic singer with a good range. I hear a lot of Fall of Troy or Tool vocal style in there. But you never know until we get into it. Right now I've been writing temporary vocal parts with aid of the drummer. I was gonna record some this weekend, but its the wifes birthday... so had to put my attention elsewhere. :)
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:06 pm

Yeah, I could definitely hear either one of those kinds of vocals in this. Definitely post more when you get it recorded!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon May 02, 2011 5:16 pm

kinda disapointed.... lots of listens...but only one comment? are we really that bad?! :lol:
-LK

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon May 02, 2011 5:31 pm

I think you have to keep in my mind that you are in an unfinished band and certain elements that people want to hear are still missing. I was able to take a listen but not in an environment where I was able to devote full attention to the tracks and make a good critical response to. I will say however that I remember the mix sounding a bit boxy, and otherwise you guys sounded like you play well together.

Don't sweat it if people don't fall in love on the first listen! I got a pretty low response on my recent new tracks thread, but then again we are unfinished as well. I do it because I love it, and that's what makes it good and fun for me.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon May 02, 2011 5:39 pm

misterMagoo wrote:I think you have to keep in my mind that you are in an unfinished band and certain elements that people want to hear are still missing. I was able to take a listen but not in an environment where I was able to devote full attention to the tracks and make a good critical response to. I will say however that I remember the mix sounding a bit boxy, and otherwise you guys sounded like you play well together.

Don't sweat it if people don't fall in love on the first listen! I got a pretty low response on my recent new tracks thread, but then again we are unfinished as well. I do it because I love it, and that's what makes it good and fun for me.
YEa, the unfinished part is probably the big thing here :)
-LK

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Mon May 02, 2011 6:04 pm

Im a big fan of fall of troy so I like the general feel of your guitars but as mentioned, it's difficult to grasp as a whole without hearing the finished songs and as it's a live recording at rehearsal with a few mistakes here and there I don't want to pass judgement.

I really would like to hear what you guys sound like with a full band and a good recording though.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon May 02, 2011 6:19 pm

i dig it. i have this bad tendency to put on stuff from posted links and then listen to it while i'm checking the board. and most of the time that means that i forget to go back to the thread the link came from to offer an opinion. but yeah, let's hear some stuff with vocals.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Mon May 02, 2011 6:24 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:i dig it. i have this bad tendency to put on stuff from posted links and then listen to it while i'm checking the board. and most of the time that means that i forget to go back to the thread the link came from to offer an opinion. but yeah, let's hear some stuff with vocals.
I'm the same way, plus I do most of my browsing at work where the flash player doesn't work and most youtube, soundcloud and other media websites are not operable. I generally don't get to listen to all the great stuff you guys post here because I barely ever browse where I can listen to it!
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon May 02, 2011 7:33 pm

Finally got a chance to listen. You are off to a good start. The guitars sound good. I realize that these are rough tracks. It needs bass and vocals. You will need to EQ the guitar tracks so they have more of their own space, but knowing what you can do with the mix, I think you have something good going on here. A great bass part can put these tracks over the top.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Mon May 02, 2011 10:29 pm

I think the addition of vocals might help, but I think the songs lack a little bit of focus. I think you could stand to simplify things a little bit as well. Just my opinion, doesn't amount to a hill of beans. I love the Fall of Troy, At the Drive-In and all that, and vocals might help focus the songs some. Right now in these demos it sounds like the songs get a little lost in overcomplicated parts and the attention isn't on the flow of the song. You could even break apart some of what you've got recorded in to smaller doses and help cure the problem. Overall the musicianship and idea of what you've got going on is cool and fun though. I don't mean for it all to be negative, I like the style you're going for I just think it kind of wanders.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon May 02, 2011 11:45 pm

Jaws Theme Swimming wrote:I think the addition of vocals might help, but I think the songs lack a little bit of focus. I think you could stand to simplify things a little bit as well. Just my opinion, doesn't amount to a hill of beans. I love the Fall of Troy, At the Drive-In and all that, and vocals might help focus the songs some. Right now in these demos it sounds like the songs get a little lost in overcomplicated parts and the attention isn't on the flow of the song. You could even break apart some of what you've got recorded in to smaller doses and help cure the problem. Overall the musicianship and idea of what you've got going on is cool and fun though. I don't mean for it all to be negative, I like the style you're going for I just think it kind of wanders.
Do you remember which songs? Or was it all of them as a whole? I know for sure it needs vocals to feel more complete. I know Portal is probably the most complicated of the bunch.
-LK

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed May 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Thats what we have been using to record with. :)
-LK

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Thu May 05, 2011 3:35 am

I noticed it throughout the songs. It seemed the drummer kinda got lost or the guitar riffs drifted and things got really messy at different parts and then you guys kind of recovered after a little bit. I'll give another listen and try and get more specific examples.

I'm a big fan of using a single sm57 for rough demo recordings. I ran mine in to an Mbox 2 in to GarageBand and I loved the way the recordings came out.