Finally got some tracks recorded of the new band

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jaws Theme Swimming
Orange Master

Re: Finally got some tracks recorded of the new band

Post by Jaws Theme Swimming » Thu May 05, 2011 4:03 am

Ok, second listen through helped a lot. Portal definitely stuck out in my mind and it's almost tough to listen to the song the whole way through. It seems more of a jam than a "regular" song. That one, if you aren't married to it, I think could be broken apart in to two different songs or something. It doesn't seem to have much purpose to it, parts are repeated a ton and I think you could say a lot more in less time.

Other than that I think what I heard the first time was more just parts that need to be tightened up in Burnt Earth and Unfamiliar Ceilings. I think the effects distract away from the songs some times too, but that could be my own preference of simplicity at times.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Thu May 05, 2011 3:15 pm

Jaws Theme Swimming wrote:Ok, second listen through helped a lot. Portal definitely stuck out in my mind and it's almost tough to listen to the song the whole way through. It seems more of a jam than a "regular" song. That one, if you aren't married to it, I think could be broken apart in to two different songs or something. It doesn't seem to have much purpose to it, parts are repeated a ton and I think you could say a lot more in less time.
Other than that I think what I heard the first time was more just parts that need to be tightened up in Burnt Earth and Unfamiliar Ceilings. I think the effects distract away from the songs some times too, but that could be my own preference of simplicity at times.
In my lifetime of playing guitar I have had to condition myself for this very behavior. Learning how to say a lot in as little time/words/music as possible is probably the most effective skill to have as a songwriter, and I'm working hard at that!
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Thu May 05, 2011 7:31 pm

Keep them comments coming boys!

Portal is a little long in the tooth, and will for sure need vocals to add the focus talked about earlier. I'm confused on comment of parts repeating as there really is no repetition in the song until the last segment. There are a dozen or so sections in the song with only one section played twice after a change. The song is supposed to be an evolution sonically to follow the lyrics/concept. I guess I need more explanation here...

We could for sure split portal into two songs. Out of context it makes sense too. Once the song has vocals and is put in with the rest of the album I hope that this opinion will change :)

I am learning about the songs a bit more from you guys and will take this info back to the band to see what we can polish a bit more.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet