Proud to be a Brit today

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

rufus
Tiny Terror

Re: Proud to be a Brit today

Post by rufus » Sun May 01, 2011 11:46 am

I'm not really into royal family's, but i do know that Kate and her sister Pippa made the whole event interesting to watch :wink: ...

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Sun May 01, 2011 3:43 pm

I think it's important to differentiate betwen meritocracy/fairness and equality.

Well said. Sorry that I phrased my argument poorly. We seem to be on the same page. I wasn't arguing for monetary equality and I agree that being born in a country with a high per capita income give us a huge advantage. I just meant there should not be a class system where certain people are allowed to play by a different set of rules then others.

I also agree that there will always be winners and losers but losers should still be treated fairly by their government. Sometimes fate works in strange ways. Most who succeed do so because they earned it but there will always be some who deserve to win but wind up on the losing side and others who deserve to lose but wind up on the winning side.

OrangeJuicer
Orange Hero

Post by OrangeJuicer » Sun May 01, 2011 3:52 pm

rufus wrote:I'm not really into royal family's, but i do know that Kate and her sister Pippa made the whole event interesting to watch :wink: ...
+1 !!!

Pippa is gorgeous !
"In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty"

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:54 pm

Friday night's Real Time with Bill Maher:
:lol: :lol:

http://youtu.be/NvF0plnuiJc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just thought it was funny, please don't take offense!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun May 01, 2011 7:26 pm

JRogero wrote:We seem to be on the same page. I wasn't arguing for monetary equality and I agree that being born in a country with a high per capita income give us a huge advantage. I just meant there should not be a class system where certain people are allowed to play by a different set of rules then others.

I also agree that there will always be winners and losers but losers should still be treated fairly by their government. Sometimes fate works in strange ways. Most who succeed do so because they earned it but there will always be some who deserve to win but wind up on the losing side and others who deserve to lose but wind up on the winning side.
Yeah, we're on the same page, for sure :) I just get frustrated sometimes when some people confuse the desire for a meritocratic society with the desire for a kind of forced equality. In an ideal world, of course each person would get an equal chance and would reap the benefits of their hard work. Sadly, the world will never be that way, but we can dream and do our little bit.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon May 02, 2011 12:58 am

as an aussie, i celebrated you limeys dropping us off on the wrong beach at gallipoli

*cheers*
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Mon May 02, 2011 6:06 pm

OrangeJuicer wrote:
rufus wrote:I'm not really into royal family's, but i do know that Kate and her sister Pippa made the whole event interesting to watch :wink: ...
+1 !!!

Pippa is gorgeous !

I think I marginally prefer Kate. Or both.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon May 02, 2011 7:06 pm