guitars???

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dragonaut

Post by dragonaut » Thu Jul 10, 2003 7:57 pm

I use a 57 reissue gibson les paul custom through a ad30 with a 4x12 celestion loaded cabinet...and, needless to say, it's THE tone. I've tried tons of guitars and amps in my 14 years playing, and this is the best combination.

regarding the pedals affecting your tone mentioned above, I use a boss line selector pedal to switch in my pedals (vox wah, digitech rp7, tube screamer, dod echo fx96), to try to keep the signal between guitar and amp as clear as possible when not using fx.

R2D2

Post by R2D2 » Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:25 pm

Hi Aussie,
I have a USA 57 reissue strat with Texas special pick ups and my AD15 / 12" really makes it sing. It just sounds so "real". The tone is complex and it's hard to get a duff sound.

I did change the tubes for high gain Harmas and they improved (to my ears) the tone. Rich distortion is effortless. Proper, easy, 1970's British distortion. Chords (especially) and lead lines alike. Even the bridge pick up sounds terific - not thin and brittle like on some other amps I've tried.

I use a BOSS GT5 - mainly just the pre-amp and EQ to give me the boost I like. Also a dollop of reverb and sometimes wah, but not much else. I turn down the guitar's volume to drop the drive a bit for a lovely smooth crunch sound. Clean it's lovely too. My wah wah has never sound so authentic than through this amp.

I wish I could afford 2 AD15's and go stereo - keeping one with original valves for a slightly better clean tone.

I fantasise about owning a Les Paul (lower action, shorter scale & humbuckers) but as an amatuer I couldnt justify the expense and indulge my fantasy. I'll never part with the strat... but I've said that before....

haf
haf

boxingnoise

Post by boxingnoise » Sat Jul 19, 2003 5:24 am

Just to chime in on this one...heres my setup...

90's GL Asat (w/p-90 style p-ups) -> 2nd Generation MXR Dynacomp ->
Colorsound Supa Tonebender -> Crybaby -> Ibanez AD-9 -> Boss TU-2

into

AD30TC head -> Either Orange pp412 OR THD 212 (depending on the gig)

www.boxingdaymusic.com

mandy

Post by mandy » Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:58 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
hi guys

just wondering what guitars you guys are using with your orange amps and what you all think the killer orange/guitar combination would be. i play a strat and a maton ms500. my orange ad30r brings out the spankiness of the strat and the fatness of the maton. i'll be keen to hear what you are all using and if there's any feeling about what guitars really shine through our beloved oranges.

ta
aussie
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Mandy Oberle
Zugerstrasse 36
CH-6318 Walchwil
Tel/Fax +41-41-758 18 08
Mobile +41-79-341 11 12
Mandy Oberle
Zugerstrasse 36
CH-6318 Walchwil
Tel/Fax +41-41-758 18 08
Mobile +41-79-341 11 12

mandy

Post by mandy » Mon Jul 28, 2003 4:17 pm

Hi Aussie
first I played with my Gibson SG Korina (Limited Edition'91)
over my ORANGE AD-30R and I was very satisfied with this sound - warm
and absolutely clear ! (thanks to the built in Celestion Vintage Speakers!)One month ago I had the possibility to get a 13-Years old black Gibson ES-335! A wonderful, for me the most comfortable Guitar! She sounds very full and warm, but in the meantime I changed my equipment to an AD-30H Head with a 4x12" ORANGE Signature (slope)cabinet! Simply unbelievable this big sound I have with this combination! I'm very very happy with it and it's fu....good lookin' an stage, also when the hole thing is very heavy to move. Some guys are doing ev'rything for a Camel Cigarette, I do ev'rything for a good sound! Best regards and have a lot of fun with your Orange-Amp -it's simply the best...!
Mandy from Switzerland

Mandy Oberle
Zugerstrasse 36
CH-6318 Walchwil
Tel/Fax +41-41-758 18 08
Mobile +41-79-341 11 12
Mandy Oberle
Zugerstrasse 36
CH-6318 Walchwil
Tel/Fax +41-41-758 18 08
Mobile +41-79-341 11 12

badger668

Post by badger668 » Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:11 am

how you would love to hear my 77 LP deluxe sing through my AD30tc

badge.
badge.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Jul 29, 2003 3:55 pm

How about my Fender Esquire 54 reissue with Lindy Fralin-rewound bridge pickup and added humbucker in the neck through AD140TC for rhythm and AD30TC for solo on this unmixed, rough clip from our recording sessions?

http://www.fayschool.org/should.mp3

Edited by - bclaire on 29 Jul 2003 15:56:55

abdul_tom

Post by abdul_tom » Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:45 pm

<font face='Verdana'></font id='Verdana'>I'm running a Gordon Smith GS2 into an Orange AD15/10. I enjoy the versatility of the coil taps. I do have another guitar (a Yamaha YSG) but I never use it now. In fact, it's going on e-bay shortly.</p>

I bought a Kent Armastrong Vintage Hot Rod hot PAF style to upgrade the bridge pick-up, but I've never got round to it as I'm pretty happy with my sound now.</p>

I'm also having the pedal tone-sucking problems, which is why I'm investing in a true-bypass loop form this chap http://www.monkeyfx.co.uk. You can also get them from Banzai in Germany, or Loooper in the States. Hopefully this will solve the tone-sucking and it's a cheap solution. He'll custom make the pedals so you can several loops.</p>

On another note, I'm not 100% with bclaire saying pedals don't belong in the effects loop. You'll find that time-based pedals (delay, flange, phase, chorus) work well in the loop, but overdrive needs to be in front of the amp. </p>

Pedal-wise I use a Boss SD-1 (sold a much more expensive overdrive pedal - this is just as good), a Boss DD-3, Schaller volume, an Washburn chorus that sounds okay with everything on 10, and I'm awaiting my Voodoo Lab Tremolo off e-bay.

punkrockchris

Post by punkrockchris » Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:31 pm

I'm using a gretsch electromatic jet set neck with rio grande bastard pickups through a RI overdrive 120 head and a slash signiture cab with 75 watt vintage 30's. I also have access to a 1953 gibson es-125, which I'm using for some recording stuff. I love this sound.

Rc

Post by Rc » Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:43 pm

I'm currently playing 2 PRS guitars: a goldtop ce-22 w/ dragon I pickups and a royal blue custom 2 w/ dragon II pickups. I have a couple '65 fender twin reissues and just bought an Orange AD30 twin channel combo. I soon plan on buying an Orange 2x12 cab. For pedals/effects, I use a boss tu-2 tuner, an ernie ball volume, 535q crybaby wah, line6 mm-4 modulation modeler, line6 dl-4 delay modeler, and a digitech space station. Was using tonebone classic distortion but plan on replacing with the Orange's overdrive.

Jorge

Post by Jorge » Fri Aug 01, 2003 7:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
I play my Orange AD30 with a tele and a love this combination. Funky yet very warm.
I only wish I had as many guitars as Billy, so I could try out more, haha...

*envy*

LP

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size=2 id=quote>

Hey Billy: How many guitars do you have?

Are all them top guitars?

aussie

Post by aussie » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:07 pm

well - i finally got the new guitar. i ended up picking up a 2000 model US standard tele (sunburst). i picked it up for a steal and its immaculate. it still had the transparent plastic film on the scratchplate for crying out loud!!!

anyway, i can heartily say that the tele / orange combination is a winner. the clean sound is beautiful and it sounds really punchy with some overdrive too. the strat will be on backup duty for a while!!

thanks for replies - was great to hear what everyone is using.

Lizard
Rocker

Post by Lizard » Fri Oct 03, 2003 1:22 pm

I use a standard SG straight into an Orange. Occasionally I use a Bluebreaker pedal but mostly just play straight.
Tour Manager - Guitar Technician

G

Post by G » Mon Oct 06, 2003 4:32 pm

have to agree with that tele/orange combination - tonal heaven! I've tried this combo with a few pedals, but keep going back to my Analogueman Sun Face!

Pete

Post by Pete » Thu Oct 09, 2003 8:59 pm

Single coils sound beautiful through my AD30R. Clear, warm, expressive, and easy to control distortion. With my strat, there are no bad settings on the Orange. Humbucker guitars sound good in certain positions on the amp, but it's not quite as alive for me.

Pete