Oranges and Pedals

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

vinyl
Tiny Terror

Post by vinyl » Sun Jul 31, 2005 7:40 pm

Has anyone figured out any tricks to make a Rockerverb play nicer with pedals? My recto loved pedals and worked beautifully with most, but I just cant get this Rocker 50 to work with most of the pedals I try. Pretty much every pedal I have tried sounds way better on my ReverbeRocket than on the Orange. It just doesn't agree with pedals, which sucks, because I love goofing with pedals. I actually found the clean channel to be quite good with my Strat but quite unusable with my Les Paul. I was going to try an EQ pedal but since there aren't asignable effects loops it won't work because I don't want to kick the dirt switch plus an A/B path switch to change channels. Anyone know why there is this lack of cooperation with pedals?

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:09 am

Honestly, I don't have this problem with pedals and my RV. Never have. I do have to admit that sometimes they require a bit of tweaking to get them to work just how I want, but then again, don't you have to do that with every amp? My RV even plays nice with a certain fuzz pedal I like (despite the rumors!)

Check out Leon's clips with his pedals. They seem to work pretty well with his too.

BTW - what pedals specifically are you having trouble with?
Greg

thankyouforlistening
Tiny Terror

Post by thankyouforlistening » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:30 am

what fuzz is this?
This drought is leaving me,
With cracked soil and brown leaves.

[email protected]

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:44 am

Somebody on here was using a Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz and loving it as I recall.

I've got a Fulltone Fulldrive II that sounds great with my RV50 (practically silent on or off!), as does my Vox wah, MXR Phase 90, and DD20. I should also mention that my memory man sounds great with the RV although I take issue with the way it colors the sound while it's clicked off.

Otherwise I've had a fulltone fatboost that worked great with no excess noise at all...I'm also getting my MIni Deja Vibe on September 5 which I'm assuming will work great too as all of the other fulltone pedals I have have. My Keeley baked mod TS9DX sounded pretty good too although the pedal itself put a layer of fuzz over everything even when off so I sold it.

The only pedal I hated with it was an Analogman Pro Mod DS-1...what a piece of crap with the Orange. Great with the Peavey C100 though.

Chris

shzbard
Orange Master

Post by shzbard » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:05 pm

I think distortion pedals are usually designed for what we call "Tonally underdeveloped" amplifiers.
crusha

Magnus Pettersen
Orange Master

Post by Magnus Pettersen » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:07 pm

ooOOoo! I see that Fender is going to make a RI of the Fender Blender FUZZ! I love that pedal :)

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:17 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by firebird1999us</i>
<br />Somebody on here was using a Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz and loving it as I recall.

Chris
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Yeah, that was me!! It really does sound good with the RV, on BOTH channels it will work too! On the gain channel, you can really use it to smooooth out the "prickly" distortion, for a different kind of sound. Mostly I use it through the clean, though. On the real thin setting. Very funky. And by funky I mean like funk music funky! :) It's just a cool little pedal with basically, six different EQ settings built in. I love it!
Greg

Bladen
Orange Expert

Post by Bladen » Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:58 pm

that pedal looks so cool

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:00 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Bladen</i>
<br />that pedal looks so cool

You should check one out. And if you do, be sure to play with it a lot to dial in all kinds of different tones. And make sure to use it on both channels, too. I suppose I should ask, do you have an RV? Well, I suppose that doesn't matter, just try one out with your <b>own</b> gear (thank you GC for your liberal 30 day return policy). :)
Greg

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Mon Aug 01, 2005 9:52 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think distortion pedals are usually designed for what we call "Tonally underdeveloped" amplifiers.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Not really... a lot of them have different sounds, so by mixing them you can get lots of different tones out of your amp. I've now got 3 different boost/overdrive pedals, and by mixing it up a bit, I can get a handful of different sounds.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:10 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by irish_admiral</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I think distortion pedals are usually designed for what we call "Tonally underdeveloped" amplifiers.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Not really... a lot of them have different sounds, so by mixing them you can get lots of different tones out of your amp. I've now got 3 different boost/overdrive pedals, and by mixing it up a bit, I can get a handful of different sounds.

Yeah but boost/overdrive is a lot different than distortion in my experience. I just haven't found a distortion pedal that I like. Although that $12 million Cornish one looks kind of neat as do the radial tone bones.

Chris

Chris

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Tue Aug 02, 2005 5:15 am

RV owners: Stay away from the Tonebones. No worky with RV, IMHO...