SG Classic owners?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jason41224
Orange Master

SG Classic owners?

Post by jason41224 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:52 am

lately i've been GASing for an SG with p90s. i could either spring for the SG Classic Faded, or the new 60s tribute model. for those who own the classic, could you tell me what kind of neck profile it has? i'd really like to stay away from the baseball bat 50's neck. the 60's tribute has that for sure, but for $100 more (plus, i'd end up swapping out the smaller pickguard for a larger one). your thoughts?
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

StratusX
Rocker

Re: SG Classic owners?

Post by StratusX » Sat Apr 23, 2011 9:40 am

I played one a few times at Guitar Center and I just couldn't get comfortable with the neck. It felt WAY too fat and squared in my hands, like I was holding a brick almost. I was really disappointed cause it seems like a great guitar, but not the one for me.

Personally, if you want a 60s neck I say buy a tribute. Or a run-of-the-mill SG with batwing pickguard and with some light routing throw in some P90s. Buy a SG Classic Pickguard for it (which should fit) and it'll cover all the evidence. It's what I plan on doing if the tributes don't cut it for me. :wink:

Just go play one if you can. YMMV.
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:27 am

I like those SG Classics with the P90's, excellent guitars.
If you want one, I should say keep your eyes open for one of the Guitar Of the week SG Classics, I've played one of those, very comfortable neck!!
As for the SG with P90's now on the market: Never played one but heard not so good things about it...
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:07 am

Could always get a Standard and whack some BKP Mississippi Queens or somesuch in it, though you won't get the p90 look of course.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Dave666
Orange Hero

Post by Dave666 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:23 am

Le Chat Noir wrote:Could always get a Standard and whack some BKP Mississippi Queens or somesuch in it, though you won't get the p90 look of course.
That's an option, but I believe the Standards have a chunky neck, the '61 reissue has the 60's style neck....
Orange Rocker30C loaded with a Creamback 65
Zilla Super Fatboy 2x12 loaded with Creamnback 65's
Gibson Flying-V - PRS Mira S2

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:24 am

I guess it's best to go for whatever neck you prefer and then take care of the pickups! I also prefer a thinner neck so I totally get that.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

savage8190
Orange Master

Post by savage8190 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:39 pm

I love the chunky neck on the SG standard...I played a Classic as well and its chunky too but the neck just felt horrible to me. I dont know why, just couldn't get along with it...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:35 pm

I think Frank forgot his login/password or he'd probably respond. Frank has a Classic and he dropped a P94 in the neck position and loves it. It's a P-90 pickup but in a humbucker size and looking enclosure. Really good pickup...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:11 pm

I would probably get an SG Special Faded and swap out the pickups if you like the neck and finish. You could go with Gibson P-94s or get Kent Armstrongs for half the price that have a full plastic cover like P-90s. I prefer the look of the Classic, so I would get a new pickguard and go with P-90s personally.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sat Apr 23, 2011 7:52 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I would probably get an SG Special Faded and swap out the pickups if you like the neck and finish. You could go with Gibson P-94s or get Kent Armstrongs for half the price that have a full plastic cover like P-90s. I prefer the look of the Classic, so I would get a new pickguard and go with P-90s personally.
+1 for P-94's. Been playing for a couple weeks now and I love'em. Dropped into the guitar perfectly!

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:12 pm

I'd get one of the tribute 60s SGs for the slim 60s neck (love it on my LP special), and also because of the smaller guard and it comes in white. Since you don't like the smaller guard (blasphemy IMO. You don't have a giant route so show it off!), I'd think neck profile is the biggest factor (maybe color preferences is close too).

Anyways, I've heard the SG classic neck shapes varied over the years so hopefully you can try before you buy, or find someone with a descriptive listing. I think the older ones had slimmer necks, but I also think they made inconsistent changes through the years. Some of them have the fat 50s, some have a hybrid, and some have the slim 60s.

Getting a faded special is an option- those necks are the hybrid style. I tried a bunch of SGs a while back and liked the 60s best, then hybrid, then 50s.

howdy-doo
Orange Master

Post by howdy-doo » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:13 pm

I have an SG Classic, it sounds very good stock, I still play mine completely stock, bar strings :lol: , But yeah the neck is quite chunky, but I found it quite comfortable.
Liam

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:38 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:I'd get one of the tribute 60s SGs for the slim 60s neck (love it on my LP special), and also because of the smaller guard and it comes in white. Since you don't like the smaller guard (blasphemy IMO. You don't have a giant route so show it off!), I'd think neck profile is the biggest factor (maybe color preferences is close too).
you read my mind :D i love the white on the tributes. i think the tuning machines are different too, but i'm not sure. i just love the look of the larger guards, especially with white that would look beautiful.

i went to my guitar center (which has nothing usually), and was surprised to find they had a classic. the guy said it had only been there two weeks, and it was already dinged up, scratched, and still selling for full sale price :roll: i played it and loved the sound, but it was a b!tch to stay in tune; par for the course for most gibsons these days. and i wasn't loving the neck...i'm guessing it was a hybrid-it had a thinner neck than the SG Special Faded, but not as thin as the Standard (i don't know what you guys are talking about, i thought the Standards always had the slim necks). anyways, neck's too much, i think i'm better off with the Tribute.

or...a G&L ASAT possibly :P
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals