Jack White and It Might Get Loud

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Re: Jack White and It Might Get Loud

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:53 am

i got a different air from jack white. he seemed to me the least comfortable with cameras/interviews/etc. and just nervous to be there with jimmy. jack white operates in a world of music so far removed from anything we are all used to, hes bound to come off as eccentric, hell, he is!

the edge seemed way more full of himself. he made it seem like all the spots where he used to play were significant. and is his nickname self-administered? because thats the lamest thing a person could do "just call me the EDGE!!!!" wanker. the yoga/blackberry scene said it all, didnt it?

loved jimmy. would love to spend a week with him just hanging out and discussing the world.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:07 pm

Y0UNGBL00D wrote: the edge seemed way more full of himself. he made it seem like all the spots where he used to play were significant. and is his nickname self-administered? because thats the lamest thing a person could do "just call me the EDGE!!!!" wanker. the yoga/blackberry scene said it all, didnt it?
agreed times a million. i didn't like him from the stupid blackberry scene all the way until the end.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:19 pm

The Ëdgę may seem arrogant compared to Jimmy Page, but he's Captain Humility compared to Bönõ. That guy seems like a real Doucher!

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:47 pm

i respect jack white's approach to making music a lot actually. yeah, he doesn't have to make his music with forced limitations like no overdubs, or only recording to 4 tracks or not having a bass player, but it's such a refreshing move away from where recorded music is at now. any kid in their garage now can make a song with 80 tracks of overdubs on it, and everything's recorded to a click track and all the tracks were recorded separately so there's no bleed but you end up with these very pristine, clean sounding recordings with no feeling to them. i would rather hear something that was recorded straight to 2 track with a couple room mics but a very energetic performance and great songwriting than something that feels and sounds like it was assembled in a laboratory or factory. advances in recording technology are great when utilised correctly, but so many people think that they have to use all the technology available at their hands to record the two songs that their garage metal band has written and end up delivering these highly polished, digitized turds. i'm all for a move back to recording on 8 tracks or less and tracking everything live. who cares if things speed up and slow down a little or you didn't get to overdub 30 tracks of synthesizer that yr song doesn't need and won't be played live?
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:01 pm

I think you'll find that most professional studios do track live, and are mixing with less than 30 tracks of synthesizer.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:11 pm

Wendigo wrote:I think you'll find that most professional studios do track live, and are mixing with less than 30 tracks of synthesizer.
i'm referring mostly to home/project recorders, which is where jack white started out. even by the time they did elephant he was still recording to 8 tracks or less. people want to slag him for being pretentious by trying to foster a move back to older recording methods, but it's actually allowed him to focus on songwriting and creating really immediate sounding recordings. professional studios have better options available to them, but even then you see bands doing things like comping instead of just worrying about getting one great take that has all the sweat and grit and awesome on it even if it may have a missed note or something in it.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:45 am

Randy Bass wrote:The Ëdgę may seem arrogant compared to Jimmy Page, but he's Captain Humility compared to Bönõ. That guy seems like a real Doucher!
Bönõ can SUCK IT!!!
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

basshole
Orange Expert

Post by basshole » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:02 pm

I am truly baffeled! How on earth could anyone percieve Bono and/or Edge as anywhere near being arrogant?!

Ok, i'm not going to bring up the well known unselfish deeds and charities Bono is involved in aside from being one of the greatest rock singers on the planet and i won't go into the fact that Edge is one of those guitarists you immediately recognise by hearing just a few notes and at the same time he's simply a humble "band guy", a true musician and a gear geek just as the rest of us deadly..

And IF, IF!, they were to have a bit of an attitude once in a while, well i guess they earned the right to have it.

Oh well, each to his own i guess. But calling Bono or Edge douches!? To me that's just ignorant.
Andreas

McCartney - Lynne - Langdon - Sting - Miller - Jenkins - Hendrix

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:13 am

basshole wrote:I am truly baffeled! How on earth could anyone percieve Bono and/or Edge as anywhere near being arrogant?!

Ok, i'm not going to bring up the well known unselfish deeds and charities Bono is involved in aside from being one of the greatest rock singers on the planet and i won't go into the fact that Edge is one of those guitarists you immediately recognise by hearing just a few notes and at the same time he's simply a humble "band guy", a true musician and a gear geek just as the rest of us deadly..

And IF, IF!, they were to have a bit of an attitude once in a while, well i guess they earned the right to have it.

Oh well, each to his own i guess. But calling Bono or Edge douches!? To me that's just ignorant.
+1

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:38 am

Bozo can still suck it!
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:39 pm

About the 30 tracks of synthesizers, White makes a comment in the interviewe that he likes fewer tracks because he would find 10 tracks of the drum kit to be way too distracting and he would waste too much time adjusting each track.

I think the performance is more important than the quality of the recording, it is nice to get both, though.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:36 pm

if it were up to me, the cast of the next one would be

Pick 1 - david gilmour/eddie van halen/eric clapton
Pick 1 - adam jones/tom morello/johnny greenwood
Pick 1 - matt bellamy/dan auerbach/josh homme

any combo of the above would be fanstic
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:40 pm

matt bellamy would be a good one. i still think J Page was the best choice for his style, though. i think he was easily the best guitarist of his generation.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:43 pm

Borderline Productions wrote:About the 30 tracks of synthesizers, White makes a comment in the interviewe that he likes fewer tracks because he would find 10 tracks of the drum kit to be way too distracting and he would waste too much time adjusting each track.

I think the performance is more important than the quality of the recording, it is nice to get both, though.
this. i'm not at all an advocate of lo-fi, as i think too many musicians use it now as a marketing gimmick (hey, our record sounds like it was recorded in a wind tunnel, so it must be good), but i've spent enough years listening to SST/dischord LPs and slanted and enchanted by pavement, and in each case, the simplicity of the recording acted more as an asset to conveying the immediacy and brilliance of the songwriting. would minutemen have released better sounding recordings if they'd had more money to go into a better studio and spend more time there? sure. does it matter/would it make double nickels on the dime any better of an album? not at all.

ScottyDanger
Orange Hero

Post by ScottyDanger » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:55 pm

Deacon Blues wrote:if it were up to me, the cast of the next one would be

Pick 1 - david gilmour/eddie van halen/eric clapton
Pick 1 - adam jones/tom morello/johnny greenwood
Pick 1 - matt bellamy/dan auerbach/josh homme

any combo of the above would be fanstic
Oh God no EVH right now, please. The dude's an addict mess and would be completely incoherent and annoying in a film like that. Definitely agree with the Gilmour/Clapton picks, though. Then throw in someone a touch more modern, I think Tom Morello would fit well in that regard, but I don't know how well he'd mix with the other two.
SG Standard / Telecaster / Cyclone
Fender '65 Princeton Reverb RI
MXR - M102 / M103 / M169