Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Re: Jack White and It Might Get Loud

Post by Van Cleef » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:07 am

OU818 wrote:
Van Cleef wrote:opinions, dear neil, is what separates us from ants :lol:
Ants our currently divided on if they have an opinion.

emo ant holocaust

i for one welcome our new emo ant master race

just lay of the dotted 8ths FFS
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:10 am

Van Cleef wrote:
OU818 wrote:

emo ant holocaust

Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:55 am

fantastic film. thought the edge was a douchey hack going in...and well, still do. could have just been jack and jimmy.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:12 am

StratusX wrote:
Cordboard wrote:Jack WHITE starts with the slide on his pinky (which I assume is just nerves), then plays the song with it on his ring finger.
Fixed! Although it would have made the film more interesting/funny. :D
LOL, I call him Jack Black all the time!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:07 pm

Borderline Productions wrote:The latest edition of TapeOp has interviews of Jack White and several people who have worked with him. Interesting stuff as he like tape (has an old 8-track that he uses exclusively).

So, I decided it was time to watch It Might Get Loud. I was very pleasantly surprised as the documentary was very interesting and very well done. I knew nothing about Jack White, but learned to appreciate his intensity and his playing. I wouldn't be able to identify a U2 song if my life depended on it, but the number of pedals Mr Edge had was mind boggling. I was never a big Jimmy Page fan, but will appreciate him more after seeing this movie.

So, read the most recent TapeOp and watch the movie.
I liked that doc too. What struck me most was the boyish like passion that Page still has. When he was listening to "Rumble", he was practically giddy. That, is loving music right there.

It made me respect "the Edge" :lol: more. I don't like U2, but I could sit in a room and watch this guy for sure.

As for Jack White, I understand his approach, but I think he commands an awfully high opinion of himself, and almost seems to suggest that if you're not keeping your music hard on yourself, you're not really doing anything of merit. For instance, keeping guitars with warped necks, etc. Page or the Edge would never want a hacked up guitar to play their style. I guess, he explained that this was his way, but I still came away from that documentary having a lesser opinion of Jack White, not his music necessarily, but just him. I guess I just didn't click with his persona.

It was an interesting mix of musicians though, and I'd love to see more documentaries like this.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:12 pm

I liked the movie and like all three guitarist. I'm always surprised at the amount of U2 hate on this site. Joshua Tree and War were fantastic albums but to each his own.

To me Jack White seemed like the most full of himself, Jimmy Page seemed to have the child like personality you often find in genisus's, and the Edge actually seemed to be the most normal one of the bunch.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:35 pm

For me the biggest surprise was Page. His childlike enthusiasm did come across. I expected more arrogance. But that might be because so many people idolize him. I never thought he deserved it, and it seems neither does he. His is a very good guitar player and a better musician. The musician came through in the movie.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Thu Apr 21, 2011 8:01 pm

I'd like to see a docu of like Slash, James Hetfield and Steve Vai, where Slash and Hetfield just take turns pounding on Steve Vai, like breaking his knees backwards and pissing on him and stuff.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:01 pm

JRogero wrote:To me Jack White seemed like the most full of himself, Jimmy Page seemed to have the child like personality you often find in genisus's, and the Edge actually seemed to be the most normal one of the bunch.
Absolutely my take on the film. Well said.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:10 pm

JRogero wrote:I liked the movie and like all three guitarist. I'm always surprised at the amount of U2 hate on this site. Joshua Tree and War were fantastic albums but to each his own.

To me Jack White seemed like the most full of himself, Jimmy Page seemed to have the child like personality you often find in genisus's, and the Edge actually seemed to be the most normal one of the bunch.
+1. everything u2 did up to achtung baby is pretty awesome, but they started to lose me with that one.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 pm

I'd like to see a docu of like Slash, James Hetfield and Steve Vai, where Slash and Hetfield just take turns pounding on Steve Vai, like breaking his knees backwards and pissing on him and stuff.
if they seriously did a docu of that, i wouldn't see it. Slash would be off blazing in the corner, Vai would be checking his hair on a handheld mirror (lined with snakeskin, of course), and Hetfield would be trying to learn one of Kirk's solos the whole time. pretty boring if you ask me
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:49 am

Wendigo wrote:I'd like to see a docu of like Slash, James Hetfield and Steve Vai, where Slash and Hetfield just take turns pounding on Steve Vai, like breaking his knees backwards and pissing on him and stuff.
I'd like to preorder two copies of the DVD please.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:33 am

Van Cleef wrote:
OU818 wrote:

emo ant holocaust

Haha, I wasn't getting down on anyone, just adding opinion to the mix.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:39 am

JRogero wrote: To me Jack White seemed like the most full of himself, Jimmy Page seemed to have the child like personality you often find in genisus's, and the Edge actually seemed to be the most normal one of the bunch.
it's funny, a lot of people i've talked to about the film, or just jack white in general, have had that opinion. i was lucky enough to meet him though, and he was the most down to earth guy, totally humble. strange that the film makes him seem otherwise, but i do agree.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:45 am

bavaro wrote:
JRogero wrote: To me Jack White seemed like the most full of himself, Jimmy Page seemed to have the child like personality you often find in genisus's, and the Edge actually seemed to be the most normal one of the bunch.
it's funny, a lot of people i've talked to about the film, or just jack white in general, have had that opinion. i was lucky enough to meet him though, and he was the most down to earth guy, totally humble. strange that the film makes him seem otherwise, but i do agree.
Every interview I've ever seen of the White Stripes made him seem that way too. I believe he is that way, or at least acts like it. :wink:
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI