Something higher gain to add to my AD30?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Something higher gain to add to my AD30?

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:49 pm

Having whittled my guitar amp collection back to just my AD30 and an 18w clone, I'm getting a bout of GAS again... I'll never part with my AD30, it's a wonderful amp, but I do often crave something with more gain on tap and a bigger, more defined bottom. Obviously there's RVs, TVs etc... but I think it'd be nice to have something a bit different rather than getting another Orange. Anyone have any suggestions of things to check out for me? ;) I know that's very broad but I trust you guys and your opinions! ;) Would quite like something that has pelnty of juice on tap, rather than the clean machine and pedals route.

Alternatively, should I fight my dumb 'grass is always greener' mentality and stick with Orange, or just be happy with what I have? ;)
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

brianr0131
Orange Master

Re: Something higher gain to add to my AD30?

Post by brianr0131 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:11 pm

FRYETTE 100CLX ??? Ever play on one? Actually, you don't play clean so you could use the 100CL and save a few bucks.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:39 pm

How loud are we talking? Wattage? Loop? Channels? Head? Combo? What do you need Teddy?
Greg

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:37 am

If you are looking for a one box solution that sounds complete you won't go far wrong with a mesa...
Only real negative on mine is its spring reverb
Worth checking one out if you can get the chance
Paul.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:40 am

Some of those Blackstar amps look like they'd do the trick

ozzyjim
Tiny Terror

Post by ozzyjim » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:44 am

I use a Blackstar ht20 head for all my high gain needs and it does it really well, has great cleans too.

Cheers
Jim
...AD30HTC OWNER AND LOVING IT...

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:47 am

ozzyjim wrote:I use a Blackstar ht20 head for all my high gain needs and it does it really well, has great cleans too.

Cheers
Jim
I had an HT-5, it was pretty good with the gain too. Their Series One line looks awesome, top quality and they describe them as the high gain amps in their company.

ARTISAN SERIES
Handwired valve amplifiers
HT-5
5 Watt valve amplifiers
HT-1
1 Watt valve amplifiers
SERIES ONE
High gain valve amplifiers
HT VENUE SERIES
Valve amplifiers

Ddjembe Mutombo
Orange Master

Post by Ddjembe Mutombo » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:52 am

Fulltone OCD into your AD30. I still prefer my 800 over that, but then again I prefer my 800's drive over any amp. Marshall DSL 50 is a great head that never gets any credit.
Monty

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:04 am

Get a 300-watt solid-state Randall or something. You'll get lots of low end and lots of gain. The AD30 can handle the midrange warmth.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:06 am

How about a Reeve Signature CP103 or a Hiwatt Hi-Gain? Those Reeves seem super amazing. I'd love to pick one up sometime!

http://www.reevesamps.com/signature103504.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:12 am

RV50..... Balls and warmth in the same package.

Otherwise, i was very impressed with the genz benz black pearl. Would suit Le Chat Noir very well. Difficult to get hold of though.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:56 am

Thanks for your suggestions, sorry for original vagueness ;)

As far as wattage goes, I've always been an advocate of the best tool for the job, but of course sometimes a more powerful amp with a good MV can still give great tone at lower volumes. My previous big amp experiences have told me that I definitely need a good MV or built-in power scaling - my Marshall Superbass and Carlsbro TC100 were both tonally amazing but totally impractical in terms of geting drive at sensible volumes. We do all knids of shows from small pub backrooms to big festivals and any amp I use needs to be able to handle any situation - the AD30 has served me very well in that regard, 30w is sometimes pushing it for the smallest palces but is great for cranking when miced up... but I just don't see many sub-50w amps designed for a really heavy, gainy sound.

Despite saying I'd like something with plenty of its own gain on tap, I would also appreciate something that takes pedals well as I love my Bajatech Da MOAF - it does sound quite good with the AD30, but even my 18w clone dimed takes it better! Bar the TT, the AD30 is the worst amp for taking pedals I've ever personally used - I don't care what anyone else says about the AD30 and pedals, to me that is a fact!

I've considered a few options, mainly thuogh just seeing what shows up on Ebay - Mesa of course, VHT/Fryette, Soldano etc... one downside is those big American amp brands are so expensive here compared to European manufacturers, but second hand there are bargains to be had. Ddjembe Mutombo - I owned a DSL50 before and it sounded pretty good but they are so unreliable that I'd never touch one again, I had it in to a tech 3 times in a year and my friend also had one that was riddled with problems. Has anyone ever tried a Cornford Hellcat? I'm drawn to the name and they seem pretty awesome! :mrgreen:

Another thing I'm quite keen on is something with two channels that can be set to pretty dirty and very dirty rather than pristine clean/dirt, as I do tend to jsut switch betwen two levels of gain during our set. Of course, a boosted single channel amp is an option and that's how I used my AD30 for a long time until I started getting on with channel 2 a bit better.

So... in summary and to be more specific, I'm looking for a 30-100w amp with plenty of gain and low end, possibly 2 dirty channels or a footswitchable gain stage, with effective MV or power scaling :mrgreen:
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:28 pm

Yeah, I had a DSL50 too that gave me problems, otherwise good sound. There's currently 6 of them all stacked in a corner a my local music store that are all trade-ins! Doesn't say much for them. Anyways, I mentioned Blackstar earlier, check this one out, not that I want to be an advocate of them, but they are doing good things.
http://www.blackstaramps.co.uk/products ... one50.html
Heres the Chappers review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz60U-OmZ9A

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:46 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:
Another thing I'm quite keen on is something with two channels that can be set to pretty dirty and very dirty rather than pristine clean/dirt, as I do tend to jsut switch betwen two levels of gain during our set.
This is why the VHT Pitbull 100CL is perfect. It doesn't really have a clean channel. What is does have, is 2 slamming dirt channels. Not saturated mush dirt, but in your face, play the right notes or the world will know it, dirt. Think of it as the Matamp of the heavy world. Every nuance of your playing still comes through even though it's balls to the walls. I had a CLX and for heavy stuff, it was unparalleled. But, I needed a clean channel too, otherwise I may have bought a CL instead.

I'm sure it'll be hard to find over there, but they can be had here for around 1000 US if you find a good deal. Try checking one out if you get a chance.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:01 pm

brianr0131 wrote:
Le Chat Noir wrote:
Another thing I'm quite keen on is something with two channels that can be set to pretty dirty and very dirty rather than pristine clean/dirt, as I do tend to jsut switch betwen two levels of gain during our set.
This is why the VHT Pitbull 100CL is perfect. It doesn't really have a clean channel. What is does have, is 2 slamming dirt channels. Not saturated mush dirt, but in your face, play the right notes or the world will know it, dirt. Think of it as the Matamp of the heavy world. Every nuance of your playing still comes through even though it's balls to the walls. I had a CLX and for heavy stuff, it was unparalleled. But, I needed a clean channel too, otherwise I may have bought a CL instead.

I'm sure it'll be hard to find over there, but they can be had here for around 1000 US if you find a good deal. Try checking one out if you get a chance.
Thanks Brian, I will keep an eye out for VHTs... they do ccasionally pop up on Ebay.

Annoyingly, when I actually have some spare money and GAS nothing suitable seems to come up, but if I look at past listings I've always missed a few choice things I'd have bid on if I'd looked sooner! ;)
Teddy
I play an AD30TC