Need Stratocaster advice...(Updated on page 3)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wendigo
Orange Master

Need Stratocaster advice...(Updated on page 3)

Post by Wendigo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:14 pm

I'm buying a loaded pickguard for my deluxe Strat (2006). The new pickguard is aged white/parchment and is loded with Fat 50's custom shop pickups. I'll be selling the noiseless loaded mint green guard to a friend. Am I right in thinking that this is a simple "drop in and solder the guitar jack" job? I checked and the screws seem to be in the same position as mine...is there only one standard size for strats? Thanks,

Jim

PS: I will also be lighting the guitar's body on fire with lighter fluid and clear-coating it after it's cooled/cleaned up....Pics to follow! :wink: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Wendigo on Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: Need Stratocaster advice...

Post by Neiloler » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:46 pm

Nice on the paint job!

You should be good to go with the screws, should be fairly universal. Screw position might not always line up, but a small hole drilled in the new location of the screw hole and your great.

If it's prewired, it should be a simple solder to the output jack kind of thing.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:50 pm

and the ground :)

niangelo
Orange Expert

Post by niangelo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:59 pm

Stratocaster advice?

"If you got guitar problems I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but a strat ain't one."
G&L Bluesboy Semi-Hollow > Vox Volume > Boss TU-2 > Fulltone Fatboost (v.1) > Keeley Fuzz Head > Fulltone Fulldrive 2 > Boss DD-5 > EHX Pulsar Trem > EHX Holy Grail > Orange AD30HTC > Avatar 2x12

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Yeah I know about the ground....ok so this should be fun then! Thanks guys.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:13 pm

There are two different hole patterns for strats. 50s style 8 hole and 60s style 11 hole.

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Yeah it's the 11 hole one...thanks man.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:35 pm

You should be in pretty good shape- should fit easily I would think... are you going to spark it after you mount the loaded guard? I'd be worried about the pickups still working afterwards.... but looking forward to pix!

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:52 pm

I've swapped a ton of strat guards. You should be fine.
bclaire wrote:... are you going to spark it after you mount the loaded guard? I'd be worried about the pickups still working afterwards.... but looking forward to pix!
That's an excellent point. I'd take out all the electronics and leave all the plastic in. That's what Steve Vai did when he burned this one:

Greg

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:18 pm

brianr0131 wrote:Image
I want it to look like this! Is that yours? Tell me how you did it if you would be so kind. Did you leave the pups in or did you just leave the plastic caps in? I planned on doing the pickguard, knobs and plastic caps separately. Next question:

Is my 2006 deluxe strat finished with nitro or poly? I'm thinking poly....

Also I'm starting to think this could go wrong...I've heard stories about bodies cracking in half due to heat....can't imagine a solid piece of ash splitting though due to some surface scorching though....maybe I should use a heat gun? I think that may not be hot enough....

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:53 pm

Is 'carbonised' the new 'relic' fad then? Years of virtual abuse not enough, it should also have met Jimi too? :P

Just joking. I do find toasting it a bit odd, but don't have a problem with relics. Not having played some of the Fenders...

Not sure how poly would react compared to Nitro finishes. Not well would be my first guess. But then I don't know offhand which is on your guitar.

Anyway have fun! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

brianr0131
Orange Master

Post by brianr0131 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:22 pm

Wendigo wrote:
brianr0131 wrote:Image
I want it to look like this! Is that yours? Tell me how you did it if you would be so kind. Did you leave the pups in or did you just leave the plastic caps in? I planned on doing the pickguard, knobs and plastic caps separately. Next question:

Is my 2006 deluxe strat finished with nitro or poly? I'm thinking poly....

Also I'm starting to think this could go wrong...I've heard stories about bodies cracking in half due to heat....can't imagine a solid piece of ash splitting though due to some surface scorching though....maybe I should use a heat gun? I think that may not be hot enough....
Sorry....it's not mine. I was just looking at some burned ones because of this thread. This one in particular was in a "real" fire I believe. I found it on this thread.....scroll down a little http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showth ... 043&page=4

also try this http://www.google.com/search?source=ig& ... =&aql=&oq=

I think the body was the only thing in the fire and the rest was done separately to "compliment" it.
Mesa Road King-Carvin Legacy 212-Silvertone 1484-Parker Fly DLX-Les Paul Trad Pro-USA ASAT-LP Junior-60's Tribute LP GTop-HWY1 Strat-Esquire Build-Peavey Predator-VHT Valvulator-Bud Wah-CMAT Signa Drive-Keeley Mod DS1-Monte Allum Dyna Comp-TU2-CE5-GE7-DD7

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:52 pm

I'm actually thinking now I may just pay a pro to do a badass paintjob on it. Black with some airbrushed shite on it....I dunno.... :?:

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:40 pm

Let it Burn!!!!! :twisted:
Greg