Played an Vox AC30HW2 today

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Re: Played an Vox AC30HW2 today

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:33 pm

TESLA_EL34 wrote:i really missed the amp today.
hate this curse of gas.

i have to say, it's as good as a matamp when it comes to "boutique" tone quality.
i mean the dynamics, the tone quality and so on.
that surprised me the most. i'd love to have one too.
I've got to say, I love the tone of my AC30 and it is so dynamic to that one setting yields clean and distortion with just playing dynamics and a clean boost. Very full and responsive. Boost it up and it gets pretty compressed. There is a wide palette of sounds in there.

Actually the RV50 and AC30 sound awesome together the only trouble is with the disparity in dynamics (the way I play them). The RV50 is quite compressed, and the AC30 is not. Play them biamped and it makes for some interesting results, sometimes desired, sometimes not. I'm working on it...
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:26 pm

I don't know why everyone says AC30 can't do metal...

I can get metal like tones out of it (use a Emma Reezafratzitz)
Thrice gets metal tones out of it

It does everything.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:39 pm

Wired wrote:I don't know why everyone says AC30 can't do metal...

It does everything.
It slices, it dices, it cooked me some pan seared tilapia last night.

Love that amp :D
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:54 pm

misterMagoo wrote:
Wired wrote:I don't know why everyone says AC30 can't do metal...

It does everything.
It slices, it dices, it cooked me some pan seared tilapia last night.

Love that amp :D
Mac-and-cheese over the venting uptop. Almost cooks faster than a college hot plate!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:10 pm

Wired wrote:...Almost cooks faster than a college hot plate!
Those are made by THC, right :D ?

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:15 am

I played one today to see what all the fuss was about and... well, I can see what all the fuss is about :lol:

Played beautifully and really brought my Strat to life, somethingt hat the RV50 and R30 have so far failed to do.
I have now put my Hayden Mofo 30 on the local Sale Classifieds and, if it goes, may be grabbing the AC30HW2.

Also, loved the Greenbacks in it. Such an awesome classic rock sound.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:39 pm

Wired wrote:As much as I love Orange amps, the AD30 and RV100 are soft spots in my heart... but the AC30 is where its at. Best amp for me period... for the playing dynamics, the tone, everything. I can do whatever I want with it! You can't go wrong with an AC30. :)
Well you can - there were also plenty duffers made. Not surprising considering the number of different versions (from different companies) over the years, including one totally crap PCB variant which were so badly designed that most of those actually (literally!) burned up.
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... stcount=22" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good to hear that this one is a real goodie though. Can't beat a great AC30 right enough! :D

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:55 pm

This is where I get confused on my amp. I've been told by the local shops it's a 1972 model, but I'm so torn because I can't find any other copy that matches mine. Seems to be a transitional era amp. In fact even the tech's cant find a wiring diagram that matches the soup kitchen thats my amp.

Its not PCB, it is point to point.
Its black tolex
Its a 6 input
brilliant, normal, trem inputs
trem has a vibrato mode
grey control pannel
Thomas Organ serial number plate
-LK

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:12 pm

Yesterday i went to the shop to play it again.
It's as great in "boutique" quality as my matamp. LOVE the response and the dynamics.

It makes me think less about pedals and play more with the amp itself.
The interaction is so great. It's so inspiring and the hot mode is great too.
It boosts that amp into a marshall hot rodded territory.
accept darkness.

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:58 am

I've played through a JMI AC15 and that thing sounded like AC/DC on steroids!
Paul.

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:38 am

I just cant get along with a AC30. Always get stuck in some bluesy noodling and the highs annoy me somehow. No matter where the cut is at. But i do love them when other people play them. Just not my cup of tea.
Last week i tried a AC15 when i was looking for a new amp with a friend. And though it was nice, i totally preferred the '65 Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue.
Love that amp and i'm totally gassing for it now....
Ow... And i love Brian May's tone... So i do want to like AC30's. But it just will not work....
Sad but true....

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Foef wrote:I just cant get along with a AC30. Always get stuck in some bluesy noodling and the highs annoy me somehow. No matter where the cut is at. But i do love them when other people play them. Just not my cup of tea.

Grtz, Bert.
Ironically Bert thats almost exactly how I feel about modern Marshall amps... :lol:

My old JMI era AC30 head (a top boost 'bass version' would you believe :wink: ) can be amazingly fat sounding though. I always link the 3 channels though as played alone the Normal is too fat with no top end, the Vib / Trem channel is sweet but a bit gutless, and the top boost is just plain fierce. When I link the 3 channels together I can use the channel volumes as extra tone controls. By blending all three can get you an amazing variety of sounds. My main problem is ever to find them again though as the amp never seems to want to sound the same two times running. It is a gloriously pig headed beast of an amp.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:29 am

a.hun wrote:
Foef wrote:I just cant get along with a AC30. Always get stuck in some bluesy noodling and the highs annoy me somehow. No matter where the cut is at. But i do love them when other people play them. Just not my cup of tea.

Grtz, Bert.
Ironically Bert thats almost exactly how I feel about modern Marshall amps... :lol:

My old JMI era AC30 head (a top boost 'bass version' would you believe :wink: ) can be amazingly fat sounding though. I always link the 3 channels though as played alone the Normal is too fat with no top end, the Vib / Trem channel is sweet but a bit gutless, and the top boost is just plain fierce. When I link the 3 channels together I can use the channel volumes as extra tone controls. By blending all three can get you an amazing variety of sounds. My main problem is ever to find them again though as the amp never seems to want to sound the same two times running. It is a gloriously pig headed beast of an amp.

Andy.

Sounds like my AC30 :) Mine has a solid state rectifier which makes it a lot tighter sounding. But I can use the brilliant on its own withouth ruining ear drums. The normal is too chunky, ,the vib/trem is too flat.. .mix them all together and its heaven!
-LK

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:57 am

I don't really understand why some people dislike that there's no trem or reverb.
If you need that, there are so many wonderful pedals. I have a tremolo pedal that
sounds better as the trem of my twin. No joke. Okay amp reverb is the best on the fender amps
but i didn't like the vox reverb as much.

What you get is a more PURE singnal path and more tone because of that.
I think about buying one.
accept darkness.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:05 am

TESLA_EL34 wrote:I don't really understand why some people dislike that there's no trem or reverb.
If you need that, there are so many wonderful pedals. I have a tremolo pedal that
sounds better as the trem of my twin. No joke. Okay amp reverb is the best on the fender amps
but i didn't like the vox reverb as much.

What you get is a more PURE singnal path and more tone because of that.
I think about buying one.
Yeah man, Vox reverb sucks so you aren't missing anything. The reverb on my AC15 sounds like garbage. I think because it's not tube driven like Fender or old Ampeg reverb. I think I need to change the tank to an accutronics too. The reverb on my Pro Reverb was amazing. Miss it sometimes, but not how freaking loud that amp was.