guitar solo's

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: guitar solo's

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:12 pm

baytamusic wrote:The ones in my band because they are the only ones I can play.

Oh wait, I can play the solo in I Wanna Be Sedated too.
I was just about to post almost exactly this, pretty much word for word - including the Ramones reference, haha! That repeated single note played over a changing chord progession is the perfect antidote to 90% of solos which are widdling nonsense ;) The best thing about it is it actually has a point - the single note is like a flatline, it's a moment of simple musical genius that says more to me with one note than some 'virtuoso' players say with thousands.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:36 pm

A wise man once told me, " Guitar soloing is like jet skiing, it's only fun for the guy doing it."

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:00 pm

Eddie Famine wrote:A wise man once told me, " Guitar soloing is like jet skiing, it's only fun for the guy doing it."
i dunno man, i think a well placed solo that works in service of the song and helps move the music from point A to point B or whatever, can be very effectively utilised, even if it's all flashy widdly-diddly shite. it's the same as having a bass player who likes to play really busy, 'matt freeman on the first couple rancid album' crazy bass lines on every song. some songs are benefited with minimalism, some work better with fast flashy playing. i've always enjoyed a well placed, well paced and well played solo (generally in that order). i don't like those virtuoso twats who sit there and just solo all the time, but when it's done to add to the impact or flow of a song then i see nothing wrong with it.

imagine how terrible songs like comfortably numb, taxman or californication would sound without the solo/lead break parts. all three would be totally lame because the solos are such intergral parts of the song and actually add to the impact of the writing instead of just being some jackass making noise and sweep picking because he can (although the leads in taxman ARE pretty noisy and off-time).
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:02 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:
Eddie Famine wrote:A wise man once told me, " Guitar soloing is like jet skiing, it's only fun for the guy doing it."
i dunno man, i think a well placed solo that works in service of the song and helps move the music from point A to point B or whatever, can be very effectively utilised, even if it's all flashy widdly-diddly shite. it's the same as having a bass player who likes to play really busy, 'matt freeman on the first couple rancid album' crazy bass lines on every song. some songs are benefited with minimalism, some work better with fast flashy playing. i've always enjoyed a well placed, well paced and well played solo (generally in that order). i don't like those virtuoso twats who sit there and just solo all the time, but when it's done to add to the impact or flow of a song then i see nothing wrong with it.

imagine how terrible songs like comfortably numb, taxman or californication would sound without the solo/lead break parts. all three would be totally lame because the solos are such intergral parts of the song and actually add to the impact of the writing instead of just being some jackass making noise and sweep picking because he can (although the leads in taxman ARE pretty noisy and off-time).
This is all true.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:06 pm

How could a person NOT like the solo to little wing????

That right there is when you should just end it.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:12 pm

I like to watch women jet ski, but not play the guitar :D .

Eddie Famine
Orange Hero

Post by Eddie Famine » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:28 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
A wiser man has spoken!

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:55 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
Wondered when you were gonna put your pic up randy!
Nice hat btw :wink:

I like to think I've tried to develop my own style....
A bit similar in a way to how Slash adopted a style in the vein of Michael Schenker...
Only Slash is a mega millionaire and i'm not :D
Paul.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Heard a live version of Little Wing by Derek and the Dominos on the way to work this morning. That is a song that just the chord progression is a work of genius and the solo work on top of it takes several steps further.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:10 am

FYI, Rubik's Cube's are cool again... at least a bunch of my middle schoolers have 'em. AND can solve them in seconds due to instructional videos on youtube. Freaks me out.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:33 am

Le Chat Noir wrote:
baytamusic wrote:The ones in my band because they are the only ones I can play.

Oh wait, I can play the solo in I Wanna Be Sedated too.
I was just about to post almost exactly this, pretty much word for word - including the Ramones reference, haha! That repeated single note played over a changing chord progession is the perfect antidote to 90% of solos which are widdling nonsense ;) The best thing about it is it actually has a point - the single note is like a flatline, it's a moment of simple musical genius that says more to me with one note than some 'virtuoso' players say with thousands.
Great minds think alike I suppose. ;)

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:46 am

Both of Steve Jones's short solo breaks in "Anarchy In The UK" really kick the song into high gear.

New York Dolls - Johnny Thunders power riffage behind David Johansen's wailing in "Looking For A Kiss" just sounds so outta' control.

Rory Gallagher - "Just Hit Town". His playing throughout the whole song is fierce!
"What I call a dream involves Diana Dors and a bottle of chip oil!"

Swipe Card HERE

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:42 pm

Stainboy wrote:Both of Steve Jones's short solo breaks in "Anarchy In The UK" really kick the song into high gear.

New York Dolls - Johnny Thunders power riffage behind David Johansen's wailing in "Looking For A Kiss" just sounds so outta' control.

Rory Gallagher - "Just Hit Town". His playing throughout the whole song is fierce!
In thinking about the New York Dolls, Steve Conte's solo on Gotta Get Away From Tommy is awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGahx0vTI30" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Watch til the end:
"You see how great it is- that mistake? It's like, gonna make this song... we'll have to keep that mistake every time now..."

Stainboy
Orange Hero

Post by Stainboy » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:37 am

Yeah man. I love Conte's playing. I've met him several times and he's a really great guy. He has his own trio called The Crazy Truth that I really like a lot.

I love guitarists who are great players but don't make a big deal about it. Steve Jones has always been very self-depreciating about his playing in a very humorous way, but he's an underrated player when it comes to tone and feel. He always makes a very simple riff sound like much more than it is.
"What I call a dream involves Diana Dors and a bottle of chip oil!"

Swipe Card HERE

Powderman

Post by Powderman » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:44 am

not really a solo but kyuss-whitewater has a great somewhat simple guitar solo part