the coolest band (starting a thread....)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

trentonvox
Tiny Terror

Post by trentonvox » Thu Jul 28, 2005 9:39 pm

okay guys, i just heard Death From Above 1979...i love the CD to death...i think its very serealistic...its very unrelenting, very unique...as soon as i found out that it was just a band consisting of a bass player/drummer (who also sings), i automatically found myself getting jelous at this...they are so damn good its not even funny...now the thing that is bothering me is how the hell that bassist sounds so raw and full...i have seen some pictures and he has like 3 keyboards/laptops effects 2 different eq's with a head that looks like its a PA head run thru his cabs...now keep in mind this was a live picture...pretty crazy huh??? anyone else know if guitar/bass/singer/drums that have crazy set ups???

he was spit on
Rocker

Post by he was spit on » Fri Jul 29, 2005 12:50 am

death from above 1979 is good. nice choice.

smo
Orange Hero

Post by smo » Fri Jul 29, 2005 8:20 am

+1 They rock

Another Bass and drums band to look out for is OM, and of course SLEEP, but hey, you all know who i'm talkin about.

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:24 am

Actually, the only SLEEP I know of was a three-piece from northern Ca. The guitarist was Matt Pike who is now fronting High On Fire. Sleep's first album was actually recorded as a four-piece with a second guitarist. Definitely one of the heaviest bands of all time. One of their shows was the first time I saw Green Matamps in person. Two f***ing stacks! Simply deafening.

But yeah, the DFA1979 album is great. It grew on me the more I listened to it. I saw them live at a small club in LA a few months ago, and it was definitely a high energy show. I heard they got the opening slot on the upcoming Queens/NIN tour.

smo
Orange Hero

Post by smo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:44 am

OM is the same bass and drummer - minus the guitars - with a healthy respect for matamp greens!

Cutthroat

Post by Cutthroat » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:15 am

Whoa, I've never heard about them. Being a Sleep disciple, I'm very intrigued. So Al and Chris have another band together. I saw Chris' other band "Sabian" a few years ago and wasn't that impressed. I haven't seen Al since the 90's. I assume OM sounds similar to Sleep? Do they have anything recorded?

On a related note, my favorite two-piece (bass & drums) is Big Business. It's the bassist/vocalist of KARP and the drummer from The Murder City Devils. Crazy stuff. I heard a rumor the other day that they will be opening for the Melvins on a west coast tour, as well as actually JOINING the Melvins who recently parted with their bassist Kevin. I don't know exactly how they'll play with two drummers, though.

smo
Orange Hero

Post by smo » Sat Jul 30, 2005 3:28 am

as far as i know, they do have one album out - i don't know if there's more.
As far as sound goes - you won't be disppointed. ;)

pinnback

Post by pinnback » Sat Jul 30, 2005 9:01 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cutthroat</i>
<br />Actually, the only SLEEP I know of was a three-piece from northern Ca. The guitarist was Matt Pike who is now fronting High On Fire. Sleep's first album was actually recorded as a four-piece with a second guitarist. Definitely one of the heaviest bands of all time. One of their shows was the first time I saw Green Matamps in person. Two f***ing stacks! Simply deafening.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">
A couple of weeks ago i saw that the guitarist of high on fire was selling his matamp on ebay. very tempting to bid on, and 120 pounds haha.

on a sidenote, do any of you guys like lightning bolt?

shzbard
Orange Master

Post by shzbard » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:34 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cutthroat</i>
<br />Whoa, I've never heard about them. Being a Sleep disciple, I'm very intrigued. So Al and Chris have another band together. I saw Chris' other band "Sabian" a few years ago and wasn't that impressed. I haven't seen Al since the 90's. I assume OM sounds similar to Sleep? Do they have anything recorded?

On a related note, my favorite two-piece (bass & drums) is Big Business. It's the bassist/vocalist of KARP and the drummer from The Murder City Devils. Crazy stuff. I heard a rumor the other day that they will be opening for the Melvins on a west coast tour, as well as actually JOINING the Melvins who recently parted with their bassist Kevin. <b>I don't know exactly how they'll play with two drummers, though.</b>

I've done that before... One has a snare drum and bass drum (optional hi-hat), the other gets the toms and some cymbals....
Or one on kit and one on bongos, timbales or something...
crusha

christco
Rocker

Post by christco » Sun Jul 31, 2005 1:33 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pinnback</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Cutthroat</i>
<br />Actually, the only SLEEP I know of was a three-piece from northern Ca. The guitarist was Matt Pike who is now fronting High On Fire. Sleep's first album was actually recorded as a four-piece with a second guitarist. Definitely one of the heaviest bands of all time. One of their shows was the first time I saw Green Matamps in person. Two f***ing stacks! Simply deafening.
A couple of weeks ago i saw that the guitarist of high on fire was selling his matamp on ebay. very tempting to bid on, and 120 pounds haha.

Think it was actually the ex-bass player of HOF selling that Matamp, if we're thinking of the same auction...

BTW, I love Death From Above 1979...
on a sidenote, do any of you guys like lightning bolt?
'57 RI Les Paul Goldtop > Crowther Hotcake > Vox 847 Wah > Vintage EH Memory Man > Orange OD120

gndboy

Post by gndboy » Wed Aug 03, 2005 7:45 pm

Might not hurt to check out Bill Bruford and Jeff Berlin.
let freedom reign!