Anyone gigging with a Tiny Terror???

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Jonboy 2d6e

Anyone gigging with a Tiny Terror???

Post by Jonboy 2d6e » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:31 pm

Just got myself a Tiny Terror Hard Wired.

Sounds great, but I've not had the chance to use it in a live context yet.
I'll be plugging it into a 70's marshall 2x12 loaded with G12h30's.

Just wondered how many people out there are gigging with their tiny terrors?!?!!

BOZ

Re: Anyone gigging with a Tiny Terror???

Post by BOZ » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:47 pm

I gig with a Dual terror, awesome! :D

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:01 pm

You'll be fine with that setup as long as you don't want a really clean sound at high volume. 15w is still really loud.

BOZ

Post by BOZ » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:06 pm

I use this rig for bigger gigs and just the dual terror for smaller ones,mind you the dual terror is very loud on its own!

Dual terror
orange PCB 2X12
Marshall DSL50
Zilla 2x12
ISP sl sub

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:14 pm

I have giged a number of times with my TT. Sometimes alone and sometimes bi-amped with an Egnater Rebel 20. I have other amps too that I gig with but even if I'm using another amp the TT comes along as the backup. I would never hesitate to gig with mine.

Also, good call with the G12H30s. Those are my absolute favorite speaker with the TT.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MaxProphet
Orange Master

Post by MaxProphet » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:14 pm

i used to but found it was just too dirty/fuzzy at the volume I needed. like trying to play chords with a lead sound. me thinks i will try bi-amping it tho

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:16 pm

I play out at least once a week with mine, It is a combo with an H30 and I use a Valve Jr under it. Plenty loud even at unmiced shows. My only headache has been getting a lead boost.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:01 am

i run my at church weekly and at all rehearsals with no issue. at church i'm mic'd/IEM'd, but some rehearsals are just straight amp. no probs and mostly clean.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:29 am

I gig and rehearse with my TT and switch back and forth with my fender bjr. Fender for cleans and blues tones and the orange for grit.
Never had the feeling that i need more power.
Works for me. Then again... I do not use drop tunings or play any style that requires massive low end in the guitar tone.

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Used to, but need the versatility of the natural channel on the Rocker. I always take it as a back up.

The TT is easily loud enough unmic'd if you play on the dirty side, but at any reasonable volume setting the tone gets crunchy at pretty low gain.

Great amp though!

Kas

Post by Kas » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:22 pm

I've gigged mine 2-5 times a week for the last three years. I have used it for everything from rock to jazz and in bands from 3 to 11 piece. It's always mic'ed and more often than not I have it in my monitor mix (I actually use it clean quite a bit). Soundmen simply love me for not cranking onstage and letting them control the mix. If you are playing a lot of shows where amps are not being put through the PA you might run into some problems but honestly, I've been in situations where I was not mic'ed and was still asked to turn down.

I recently purchased a TH30 head, it's the highest wattage amp I've had in years at 30watts! I've been using low wattage amps for a long time and I've found myself only running two output tubes on my new amp most of the time.

When I'm not performing I work as an engineer for several different sound companies in Los Angeles. Just as an example, last Friday I worked a show at a venue with about a 700 person capacity. The two guitarists in the headlining band where using a Twin and an AC30. Both amps where loud enough (but no where near cranked) that they were not in the PA and to add to our frustration both were loud enough that we were unable to get a good mix. Several audience members approached me and complained that the guitars were way too loud. I was happy to point to the faders on each guitar channel sitting at the bottom of their travel.

I appreciate the tones that can be achieved with higher wattage amps and I don't want to start an argument about this. I would merely like to point out how a little goes a long way and taking into consideration the fact that doubling the wattage of a tube amp only results in a gain in level of about 3db (which can also be achieved by using a more efficient speaker in the smaller amp), some may be surprised at how well a little amp like the TT can perform in even the most formidable of settings.

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:20 pm

Kas wrote:I appreciate the tones that can be achieved with higher wattage amps and I don't want to start an argument about this. I would merely like to point out how a little goes a long way and taking into consideration the fact that doubling the wattage of a tube amp only results in a gain in level of about 3db (which can also be achieved by using a more efficient speaker in the smaller amp), some may be surprised at how well a little amp like the TT can perform in even the most formidable of settings.
Would certainly agree that the TT surprises people! Not too sure about your loud cleans. My wife might ask me to turn down, but that's about it!

ardaksoy

Post by ardaksoy » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:31 pm

I do! It handles it very well. I use it with a 1x12 cab. We did not play on a huge stage yet, mostly pubs but I must say that our drummer is pretty loud. :)

IceCreamMan

Post by IceCreamMan » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:42 pm

I gig with a TT combo ...absolutely no problems from a reliability/volume point of view. however there is another guitarist in the band that plays clean while i get the fun and play dirty.

The TT would not work if the roles were reversed though , not enough clean head room imho

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:13 pm

BOZ wrote: ISP sl sub

Sorry to hijack this thread, but how do you get along with that ISP Steve Luthaker sub? I've always wanted one of those, or a Rivera Los Lowbottom. Think it'd be right up my alley! Sadly neither is stocked by any shop anywhere in England, the Rivera is discontinued and I asked the ISP importer and they said it'd be a special order! It's a lot of money for me to buy without testing.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC