So a Vox AC15 or an Orange TT Combo?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BillyOfOckham

So a Vox AC15 or an Orange TT Combo?

Post by BillyOfOckham » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:05 pm

Hey guys,
I'm on the edge of finally buying my first tube amp after months of wait. Though I still haven't really decided which one to get. In the end it came down to the AC15 and the TT Combo because of transportability (I'm living on the 2nd floor and my "band" plays in the 2nd floor too so anything >30kg would be really bad for my already bad back.
Question now is which one should I get. I overall like the Orange a bit more. So some of my questions concern the speaker of the TT. Is it changeable and by changeable I mean do you have any choice of what speaker you can put into it or does the combo get pretty hot or stuff like that? I would like to put a G12M Greenback or a G12H 25W into the TT Combo, is that viable? And what about pedals? That's something speaking for the AC15 since it already has got a tremolo and reverb. I would like to get a pretty good OD/fuzz pedal along with the amp so any no-go's for one of the two amps? I'm done looking into all those great pedals in the past days ... I'm willing to pay nearly any price for a pedal that will stay with me for a long time so I'm open for some boutique pedal recommendations.
Greetings

PS: Please just give me enough good reasons to get the Orange over the AC15 :D

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Re: So a Vox AC15 or an Orange TT Combo?

Post by ECWeagles » Thu Mar 31, 2011 4:47 pm

I am in the process of selling my AC15.

I was tempted by the extra options, but to be honest, they are not all that.

Also, dont be fooled by transportability.

Its actually quite a big box and not all that light either.

You probably do have more tonal control with the AC15 than the TT, but they are two very different sounding amps.

I found the AC15 just wasn't to my taste in terms of the flavour of the overdrive, hence its making its way on.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:19 pm

Do you use alot of pedals? The TT for the most part hates pedals. But it is super small and light with enough power to light up any stage. Also if your a gear swapper the TT seems to be holding its value alot better than the Vox.

Spanky cleans = VOX

Sweet Angus Crunch through to smooth brit fuzz is all Tiny Terror.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 pm

If you like the sound of the TT best, buy it. No point in wasting money on a fuzz pedal either, since the TT sounds great out of the box. The G12H-30 (70th) also sounds great out of (or in) the box, though you could replace the speaker with something else easily enough. I'd make sure you put a speaker in it that can handle at least 20 watts, though that may be pushing it a bit. A G12M-25 would work quite well.

If you want the Vox sparkle and you use reverb and/or tremolo a lot, the Vox may end up being more versatile though once you add a fuzz pedal. Just buy both and sell the one you like less :wink: .

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:40 pm

I went through the same decision. I chose the Vox AC15C1 over the TT combo. It's an awesome amp and has plenty of gain on the top boost channel IMO. If you are only going to own one amp I'd get the Vox since it does clean, overdrive, and has reverb and tremolo. I already had an Orange Rocker 30 head so I chose the Vox as my home/backup amp over the TT so I'd have different flavors. I personally couldn't deal with having an amp that only does overdrive, but I play clean a lot so it really depends. I've owned tons of amps both vintage and new and I think the new Vox AC15C1 is a phenomenal very versatile amp. It even sounds pretty good at bedroom levels.

Before you listen to what ANYONE on here says, go play the amps yourself.

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:49 pm

baytamusic wrote:
Before you listen to what ANYONE on here says, go play the amps yourself.
+1
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:52 pm

I've already played 'em both and I really like the tone of both but I guess the TT is a bit of a one-trick pony. I intend to get a bigger set in the future but the amp I get now should then stay at home as a kinda practice amp. I also thought about getting a Fender because they seem to be very flexible when using effects. Though I didn't liked the sound of those Fender amps in my price range.
And since the new set I plan to get will definitely include an Orange head I thought a Vox AC15 would provide much more variety. So what are some good (and maybe expensive?) effects to get some nice overdrive out of an AC15?

PS: To be honest, I want to get the TT because I want an Orange so hard but I guess I should go with the AC15 for now.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:18 pm

If it's going to be your only amp, i'd choose carefully.

The AC15c1 has more headroom and perhaps more pleasing cleans than the TT, with reverb and tremolo. However, I've never played it really loud - think 3 or 4 on volume dial -, which os reasonnably loud, and found the gain then rather disappointing.

The TT has less headroom, no thrills, but sounds better at any volumes.

You've got to see what works best for you - if cleans are really important, the obvious choice is tha AC. Or looking into scoring a rocker 30 2nd hand.

Otherwise, the TT is an excellent choice.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:21 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:If it's going to be your only amp, i'd choose carefully.

The AC15c1 has more headroom and perhaps more pleasing cleans than the TT, with reverb and tremolo. However, I've never played it really loud - think 3 or 4 on volume dial -, which os reasonnably loud, and found the gain then rather disappointing.

You've got to see what works best for you - if cleans are really important, the obvious choice is tha AC. Or looking into scoring a rocker 30 2nd hand.

Did you try changing out V1 for a good NOS 12ax7? It makes the overdrive a million times better. More clarity, more punch, just way better.

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:30 pm

And what about using a clean boost -> overdrive -> TT with volume knob at right at the edge of it's headroom? I'm new to this stuff so forgive me my possible silliness. Though I dunno how much (or not) clean headroom the TT has. Only played it once and didn't memorise when the headroom ended.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:12 pm

baytamusic wrote:

Did you try changing out V1 for a good NOS 12ax7? It makes the overdrive a million times better. More clarity, more punch, just way better.
No only tried it 3 or 4 times in shops. It's a pretty decent amp too. I've heard the overdrive is fantastic when the amp is really pushed, at levels that would already piss off the neighbours, it doesn't compare well with orange tone IMO. Good cleans though, and the tremolo is a nice to have.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:15 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
baytamusic wrote:

No only tried it 3 or 4 times in shops. It's a pretty decent amp too. I've heard the overdrive is fantastic when the amp is really pushed, at levels that would already piss off the neighbours, it doesn't compare well with orange tone IMO. Good cleans though, and the tremolo is a nice to have.
Guess it's a matter of opinion. I like the overdrive on the Vox. It's different than Orange overdrive, but by no means inferior, just different.

Also, of course it sounds better turned up about 3/4, just like any amp. :)

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:12 pm

BillyOfOckham wrote:And what about using a clean boost -> overdrive -> TT with volume knob at right at the edge of it's headroom? I'm new to this stuff so forgive me my possible silliness. Though I dunno how much (or not) clean headroom the TT has. Only played it once and didn't memorise when the headroom ended.
Nah, a clean boost will push your amp harder into overdrive.

Depending on what guitar you use, the TT will have more headroom with a strat than with a guitar with active emg.

Try it again, it might be plenty enough for you.
Ant

BillyOfOckham

Post by BillyOfOckham » Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:18 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
BillyOfOckham wrote:And what about using a clean boost -> overdrive -> TT with volume knob at right at the edge of it's headroom? I'm new to this stuff so forgive me my possible silliness. Though I dunno how much (or not) clean headroom the TT has. Only played it once and didn't memorise when the headroom ended.
Nah, a clean boost will push your amp harder into overdrive.

Depending on what guitar you use, the TT will have more headroom with a strat than with a guitar with active emg.

Try it again, it might be plenty enough for you.
I normally love this dirty tone I get but I fear that in the end my TT may be too dirty for leads or fill ins. That it would be drowned in the overall sound when playing with the band. And if there's no place for overdrive or fuzz pedals for a TT, what would you consider a good addition to the combo to gain a little more variety in play?