Wireless revisited. Any preferences?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Wireless revisited. Any preferences?

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:41 am

OK, I've gone for several months now after accidentally pulling my AKG Guitarbug apart at a gig. (Ugly scene- tried to swap guitars, Pulled the Guitarbug out and the jack part stayed in the guitar. doh.) I've been playing live with cables and stepping on cables is one of my biggest pet peeves live- not to mention it distracts me from the moment...

I want true diversity, twin antenna, and rackmount capability.

Anyone have preferences that match this? I've "looked at" a few online but nothing is jumping out at me...

AJS19
Orange Expert

Re: Wireless revisited. Any preferences?

Post by AJS19 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 12:51 am

I just nabbed a used Line 6 X2 XDR95 (rackmount and in mint condition nonetheless) on the Gear Page for $175. There are still some at random GC's according to their stock counts for $300. They have been popping up on eBay every so often.

I quite like it. I had the lower range pedalboard model, but I traded that to Neil recently. Great stuff from X2.
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:26 am

I've been using the rackmount line 6 wireless for a year or so now, and love it. Only thing is it eats batteries, but small price to pay to never step on a chord again!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:34 am

how's the quality on the line 6? i'm one of those who would love a wireless but am too skeptical for the cheap units and too stingy for the expensive units. the line 6's don't look half bad though...
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 am

I just got an X2 as well, I'm digging it, sounds great, no treble loss or anything. It's great to use, and I feel naked playing now. But it's a good kind of naked...? :? ;)

EDIT: Ahem, sorry, here's what I'm talking about: http://www.music123.com/Accessories/Cas ... 09.product

I also got one of these little babies, in medium, for the transmitter, works really well to hold it onto the strap to make for easy guitar changes. I just have strap locks on all my guitars (haha, all two of them ;)), and then use the same strap. I'm making a neutrik silent plug cable to use as well so I can swap them without having to turn things on and off. :) (Props to Austin for the idea! :D)
Last edited by Neiloler on Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:53 am

The Line 6 relay G50 has been getting good reviews. Metal housing where the G30 is plastic.http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/pr ... sku=502389

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:17 am

OK, but if you're using a wireless that operates in the 2.4GHz band, won't that seriously impede your home's wifi since it ALSO uses the 2.4GHz band?

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:28 am

Not if it's encoded correctly. The X2, as well as many others I'm sure, uses specific encoding for the signal, so only the signal with the right key gets to come through. It's like the channels on the walkie-talkies made by Motorola. In my humble opinion, the X2 is the best wireless unit out there as far as signal quality goes, simply because of their lack of compander and other interesting wireless tricks to get more out of the equipment.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:38 am

http://www.sennheiser.ca/live/senn/produit/en/1306/17" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've been using the older G2 system for quite a few years now (since the G2 came out... 2004 maybe??) and love it. Its rack mounted, it has very little if any tone suck, the packs have a very long life, and its all metal (including the packs)

its pricey though... very pricey. But its built to last, and I have never ever had interferance issues which I have had with the Samson, Shure, and AKG systems.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:08 am

Neiloler wrote:I just got an X2 as well, I'm digging it, sounds great, no treble loss or anything. It's great to use, and I feel naked playing now. But it's a good kind of naked...? :? ;)

EDIT: Ahem, sorry, here's what I'm talking about: http://www.music123.com/Accessories/Cas ... 09.product

I also got one of these little babies, in medium, for the transmitter, works really well to hold it onto the strap to make for easy guitar changes. I just have strap locks on all my guitars (haha, all two of them ;)), and then use the same strap. I'm making a neutrik silent plug cable to use as well so I can swap them without having to turn things on and off. :) (Props to Austin for the idea! :D)
From where did you just get this wireless unit Neil? ;)

I personally don't use a pouch, but however place the unit in my back pocket. I don't wind it over the strap button 'cable trip' style, because I obviously won't pull the plug out via my foot.

With the Neutrik Silent Plug cable that I had Neil construct for us both, changing guitars is as simple as unplugging, setting the guitar down and picking up the new guitar and plugging in. No pops, and no need to turn the amp on standby or whatever to avoid anything like that.
Neiloler wrote:Not if it's encoded correctly. The X2, as well as many others I'm sure, uses specific encoding for the signal, so only the signal with the right key gets to come through. It's like the channels on the walkie-talkies made by Motorola. In my humble opinion, the X2 is the best wireless unit out there as far as signal quality goes, simply because of their lack of compander and other interesting wireless tricks to get more out of the equipment.
Well put!
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:11 am

bclaire wrote:OK, but if you're using a wireless that operates in the 2.4GHz band, won't that seriously impede your home's wifi since it ALSO uses the 2.4GHz band?
Really don't know, but I would assume some reviews would mention it if it was an issue. They also have the G90 which is rackmount.

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:34 pm

bclaire wrote:OK, but if you're using a wireless that operates in the 2.4GHz band, won't that seriously impede your home's wifi since it ALSO uses the 2.4GHz band?
I've found that surfing the net really impedes my guitar playing especially doing them simultaneously. :D

I picked up one of the Line 6 G30 systems about the middle of last year and it's fantastic. I have had absolutely no problems with it, I like cable length impedance matcher, and the receiver has the foot print of a stomp box and is powered off of a regular 9v power source. One of the better buys I made last year.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:35 pm

X2 (Line 6) is where it's at.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC