Trem pedals. Tone over adjustment?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Trem pedals. Tone over adjustment?

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:56 pm

Hey guys I am going to get a trem pedal this week and was wondering what you guys were using.

I am pretty set on the Supa Trem because good lord it has the most glorious tone ever. Not to mention the wave change on the fly and speed cut on the fly seems really useful as well.
It does not have a volume adjustment though.

The other contenders are the Keeley modded Boss TR-2 very nice tone and awesome as a clean boost as well.
The speed adjustments are a little silly. Only the first half is really usable.

Voodoo labs tremolo. knobs are all very usable. Can be a clean boost. Tone is not as smooth as the others but still nice.

Who uses Trem around here and what are your takes.
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Re: Trem pedals. Tone over adjustment?

Post by chinese fork tie » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:55 pm

ehx pulsar. cheap, versatile and bulletproof. i love the sound of it, but it's really subtle unless you turn the depth up almost all the way (of course, that's been the case with any other trem i've used unless you're running it on a fender or similar clean amp). gives you square/saw wave selection, depth rate goes up to full and then out of phase for the stereo outs to get some really cool panning effects and did i mention it only costs like $120? definitely look into one, i think it puts to shame just about any trem i've tried that costs double or triple that (though if i had the money, i would definitely look into the empress tap trem).
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:36 pm

I'm going to get dr. scientists new trem when it comes out.

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:08 am

I love my Cusack Tap-a-whirl!

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:55 am

So what do you guys like about these pedals. I am new to the trem thing is there one feature that is a must or is it more just the sound and over all tone you like.

This thing is awesome too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_piLWlN3xzQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:24 am

i really like that tremoglo. for me, tap tempo would be a must. if that's kinda your thing, i'd check out the Diamond tremolo. it sounds really cool, and you have a ton of control over the sound (including a random mode). if you don't need tap, either go for that tremoglo or the stereo pulsar.
Last edited by jason41224 on Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:02 am

I've always been a huge trem user. I've used all the trems listed here aside from the Keeley modded TR2 and Cmatmods Tremoglo.

I still have, and love, and will always love my Dr. Scientist Tremolessence. The new version coming out will be a heart stopper if you don't need tap tempo. (which it doesn't sound like you do) It has an amazingly great tone and can do both heavy chop and smooth warble. Knobs got a lot of range which allows you to get pretty much everything.

That being said, I'll be adding the new Diamond Tap Tremolo to my board. I've used their boxes in the past and love the tone of them, and the demos for this pedal are show casing a fantastically creamy trem sound! The rhythm modes and different accent modes are awesome. The price point is very good. And Diamond pedals are built like a freaking tank! I'll hopefully have mine before end of April.

The Tap-A-Whirl is also a bloody fantastic pedal that should not be over looked. I had a V2 but sold it to finance my amp addiction... I was gonna buy a V3 because I've recently have acquired a need for tap tempo and the different accent/rhythm modes...but decided on the Diamond because...its Diamond and I got a fetish for their gear, and because of the price point/local availability.

The Voodoo Lab trem was on my board until I got the Tremolessence. It stayed the test of time vs the Fulltone, TR2, Vox Cooltron (Which was bloody fantastic by the way! just way to huge), EHX Pulsar, and Dunlop Tremolo. I just couldn't get the "chop" out of the other ones.

Another pedal to look at would be the Goatkeeper. OR the new Catalinbread Stereo Semaphore!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:48 am

Thanks very much for that. I am not sure on the tap tempo it sounds like a cool thing to have. I am going to look for the demos of the Diamond. Does it have that super buttery lushness of the Supa trem? I cant get enough of the tone of that thing. I met a guy who runs two of them. One for Trem and the other at the end of the line as a buffer just for the depth of the sound. He just turns the trem down. It is unbelievable the 3D effect that the fulltone stuff has. Maybe the Diamond or Scientists with a fat boost at the end for the tone.

I can feel this getting out of control already :lol:

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:58 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtY7gYzt7EI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Holy Crap!! Sold!

and It comes in Surf Green. Now just to find out if I can buy it locally.

THANKS!

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:05 am

jason41224 wrote:i really like that tremoglo. for me, tap tempo would be a must. if that's kinda your thing, i'd check out the Diamond tremolo. it sounds really cool, and you have a ton of control over the sound (including a random mode). if you don't need tap, either go for that tremoglo or the stereo pulsar.
Told ya! ;) congrats. i'd check out humbucker music if you can't find one local. every dealing i've had with those guys has been solid. plus, free shipping and no sales tax unless you happen to be in GA. good deal for me.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:23 pm

Use and love the voodoo labs.

Now itching for that surf green diamond though. Love those features!
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:02 pm

I should have mine by end of April. I'll let you guys know how I like it!

Unless of course someone beats me to the punch, and I hope they do! :)
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

pedro
Orange Expert

Post by pedro » Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:44 pm

might want to check out the guyatone ultrem. IMNSHO it is way cool. The supa trem has nothing on it at all (I actually have a supa trem, which I don't use anymore but I've just been to lazy to put it on eBay.) it'll do stereo, all sorts of wave forms, lots of tonal control including depth and saturation............oh yes and expression pedal control over the rate...........

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:27 pm

Wired wrote:I've always been a huge trem user. I've used all the trems listed here aside from the Keeley modded TR2 and Cmatmods Tremoglo.

I still have, and love, and will always love my Dr. Scientist Tremolessence. The new version coming out will be a heart stopper if you don't need tap tempo. (which it doesn't sound like you do) It has an amazingly great tone and can do both heavy chop and smooth warble. Knobs got a lot of range which allows you to get pretty much everything.

That being said, I'll be adding the new Diamond Tap Tremolo to my board. I've used their boxes in the past and love the tone of them, and the demos for this pedal are show casing a fantastically creamy trem sound! The rhythm modes and different accent modes are awesome. The price point is very good. And Diamond pedals are built like a freaking tank! I'll hopefully have mine before end of April.

The Tap-A-Whirl is also a bloody fantastic pedal that should not be over looked. I had a V2 but sold it to finance my amp addiction... I was gonna buy a V3 because I've recently have acquired a need for tap tempo and the different accent/rhythm modes...but decided on the Diamond because...its Diamond and I got a fetish for their gear, and because of the price point/local availability.

The Voodoo Lab trem was on my board until I got the Tremolessence. It stayed the test of time vs the Fulltone, TR2, Vox Cooltron (Which was bloody fantastic by the way! just way to huge), EHX Pulsar, and Dunlop Tremolo. I just couldn't get the "chop" out of the other ones.

Another pedal to look at would be the Goatkeeper. OR the new Catalinbread Stereo Semaphore!
you couldn't get choppy trem from the pulsar? i can get it to chop all day without any trouble. love that pedal.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:23 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:
Wired wrote:I've always been a huge trem user. I've used all the trems listed here aside from the Keeley modded TR2 and Cmatmods Tremoglo.

you couldn't get choppy trem from the pulsar? i can get it to chop all day without any trouble. love that pedal.
Sorry forgot about the Pulsar. :)
-LK