Ampeg AMG100

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Ampeg AMG100

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:22 pm

Well, I got a new ax. For those of you that don't know, this is the wood version of the old Ampeg plexiglass (which means it has a swappable pickup system.) I got the mahogany model with the cherry finish. I ended up stripping the finish because it looked really generic to me with that color scheme. The tuners were a bit lame so I ordered some sperzels.

It's turning out to be a really cool piece, both in playability and aesthetically. I am a bit bummed that there isn't a neck pickup, but I'm going to be buying a wide array of pickups. So that should open it up tonally. Just thought I'd share. It sounds pretty awesome with my AD30HTC.

http://www.myspace.com/gabriellongmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We’re all becoming fluent in arbitrary tongues
That never got the message through in the first place
As if anyone knew, knew in the first place
Not in the first place

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Re: Ampeg AMG100

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:42 am

thats pretty sweet! it is kind of weird the no neck pup/squared off pickguard thing. its like they gave up at that point. but i dig the shape, the fret access (perceived, at least)...pretty snazzy!!! i would have to get the plexi one though. necessary.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Yea, the plexiglass is cool. It's way over priced and too heavy for my taste. There was a sale on sam ash for this and it's really light. Even if I had the money, I think I would still go with this model. My back thanks me for that. :)
http://www.myspace.com/gabriellongmusic" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not in the first place

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:03 pm

Thats cool! I dig that its 24 frets. And the pick ups, thats really a cool idea. What does the pickup resemble? HB's? Singles?

Also, I 've gotta say that I don't know if its because you stripped the finish, but the body almost looks like something I made is shop class! Maybe it just needs better pics :P
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

gabrielstigmatic
Tiny Terror

Post by gabrielstigmatic » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:30 pm

The pickup in there is a humbucker. You can also get single coils. From what I understand Kent Armstrong has a whole line of these removable pickups. I think you can also get ahold of him, send him any pickup you want and have him put it in one of the removable casings.

Lol! Yea, this has been my first attempt at stripping paint or doing any sort of wood work for that matter. It doesn't by any means look "professional". And I am also not a photographer, so I don't think the pictures do it justice (*I took them with my phone*). Maybe I could get my stepdad to take pictures when he comes to visit, he's a pro photographer.

I don't really mind if it looks like an amateur job since it still sounds and plays great. I'd rather have a sort of amateur looking strip job over something that looks like it'a fresh off of the assembly line. Plus, it was cheap to do ;)

Not in the first place

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:45 am

The lack of neck pickup isn't a big deal- this guitar was designed for rock and interchangeable pickups and sounds. I have the plexi one (reissue) and it wasn't expensive by any means. I got mine new for like $700. Great guitar...