A simple Rockerverb V Thunderverb question.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Conker

A simple Rockerverb V Thunderverb question.

Post by Conker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:20 pm

My head is going around and round trying to decide between a TV200 or a Rockerverb 100. I was going to wait for the TH100 but it looks like it is months away before it arrives, and I can`t wait that long.

I know people say the RV has More Gain than the TV . Also that the TV can run as a bass amp.

In the real world running through a 4x12 PPC Can the Rockerverb do near everything the Thunderverb can tone wise with tweeking, but with the option of a bit more gain if needed. The only thing holding me back from the TV is the worry it does not have enough gain.

What I am trying to get at is the Rockerverb basically a Thunderverb +
I realise there will be a bit of difference in the bottom end air push but is it a
huge difference.

I play in drop B and that air push is one of the things I want. But is there a massive difference.

Sorry to bring it down to such a basic level but that is were I am, it is very difficult for me to try each head before I buy. As I am hopeing to buy used.

Thanks in advance

Icarus
Orange Expert

Re: A simple Rockerverb V Thunderverb question.

Post by Icarus » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:34 pm

I'd choose the tv200 simply because I think it would handle your tuning better than the rockerverb.
Some pretty heavy bands use tv200's too. It has PLENTY of gain.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

Conker

Post by Conker » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:43 pm

That is the way I am leaning I also like the attenuator for house use.
Do the Thunderverbs take a tube screamer boost well if needed ?
Or does it screw the tone? I was thinking more of boosting the level but keeping the gain on the TS fairly low.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:31 pm

i would think 100 watts would be enough to handle anything. you'll probably notice an improvement with a 200 watt amp, but i wouldn't think it would be a whole lot unless you were crazy low. Drop B isn't that bad; i think 100W would do just fine. but, it really depends on the tone you want. if you want a more modern tone, (fizzy, not fuzzy), get the RV. if you want a more vintage feel (fuzzy, not fizzy), then get the TV.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

venusandeve
Tiny Terror

Post by venusandeve » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:30 pm

the thunderverb has more low mid saturation. it also keeps sounding "normal" with very low tunings. now doubt both will be loud enough but heaviness and gain are somewhat unrelated.
Music Man Steve Morse Y2D in C standard with EMGs (85/sa/60)
Music Man Petrucci 7 String w/ Crunchlab & Liquifire
Gibson LP Std in standard tuning w/ emg Hetfield set
Dean 30th Anniv. V. stock
Orange Thunderverb 50 into Kool&Elfring 4x12XL /w v30s

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:41 pm

I would normally learn to the rockerverb as my preference over a thunderverb if I were to take the plunge....BUT drop B is pretty low in my book

for that factor alone i think the TV200 would be better suited
Paul.

venusandeve
Tiny Terror

Post by venusandeve » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:53 pm

taking into account how much these things cost, i'd actually rather try before buying.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:59 pm

I was pretty sure they have the ssame ammount of gain stages, but they are all voiced differently, the tv200 having actually the most perceived gain, in the sense it considered the "heaviest". And I can't stress enough how awesoome the attenuator/xformers are. Sounds like we all agree, tv200.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

venusandeve
Tiny Terror

Post by venusandeve » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:58 am

i think the rockerverb has a more focused type of gain, based around the normal guitar frequencies, the TV is spread out more. also, past a mid point, the more gain you use, the thinner you sound.

leopoldbloom
Tiny Terror

Post by leopoldbloom » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:46 am

Both RV & TV have similar gain structures tone wise. The difference is in the power section. The "more gain", mentioned as a fourth gain stage, in the RV is usable only when the master volume is set low. In every tube amp the OVERALL gain (and tone) is a result of the preamp gain and power section master volume combination. In TV you can produce lots of gain :twisted: by cranking up the master volume (applying some attenuation in order not to traumatize the nearby living forms). When you crank master volume in rockerverb with the gain maxed there is so much gain there that it is not usable (IMO). The fourth gain stage in rockerverb is useable only at lower volumes (bedroom metal).

The amps' tone and "feel" is the most important issue someone should consider when choosing an amp. Information cannot substitute for the real experience. Best thing is to test the amps with your guitar. Having said that... in my experience:
- RV can make every guitarist happy delivering some of the best rocking & metal tones:D plus a smooth play feel (you can’t sound wrong)
- TVs channel A can imitate some RVs tones and feel. No amp can imitate TVs ch B unique tones in the amp world.
- TV keeps pick dynamics live and precise even at higher volumes without compressing bottom frequencies. It doesn't flatter the players' abilities but adds some more expression possibilities. This is another reason it is referred to as "less gainny".
- TVs attenuator (best of a kind) is one of the best features ever built in a valve guitar amp introducing a new quality standard to a musician's professional and ...personal life.
- In real life "metal" :mrgreen: : TV more Hetfield type of playing & tones from KmA to DM, RV more Slipknot to Machine Head type tones
- Rock is the business for both amps. Jazz and fusion is more of a thunderverb’s game.

misterMagoo
Orange Master

Post by misterMagoo » Tue Mar 22, 2011 1:57 am

leopoldbloom wrote: 10010001010001
Leopold, you offer some good advice, beyond what I can offer. Good first post, and welcome to the forum! However, the correct sequence is 10001110101. Thanks and come back soon.
-Joe
My mother wears army boots.

RV50 mkI
AC30 combo

Hot tamale.

http://lifereformatted.wordpress.com/
Check out my blog - adventure, travel, and the meaning of life.

venusandeve
Tiny Terror

Post by venusandeve » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:10 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=buQla2-5 ... page#t=82s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sorry, is this enough gain?

Conker

Post by Conker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:02 am

Thanks for the advice people I was leaning heavily towards the TV anyway.
And I think that is the way to go.
The last video link put up is one of the best I have seen to demonstrate the amount of gain.
I have read so many online reviews and opinions that it can`t do metal.
It had me worried.
Just as a reference point at present I use a Laney GH 100 TI [ tony iommi signature]
And when that is cranked I use the gain set at around 6 and that is plenty.
That head does have bag fulls of gain though.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:55 am

just wondering, but when do you ever get a chance to crank a 100w amp? i have an AD30 combo, and i can't even turn it up past about halfway without blowing people out of the room.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Conker

Post by Conker » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:02 am

We do play very loud, but balanced and usually get a pretty good sound.
We practice in a big hall that is out the way so it gets cranked every practice.
Places we place is usually just a Vocal PA and the Bass Drum Mic`d every thing else
comes from the back line.
And it is multi bands on the bill so share a drum kit and everything else is dragged on and off ASAP. Allowing 4 bands or so a night.
No sound check hence practice with the amp levels set and left.