Rio Grande Telecaster

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Bathamsbeer

Rio Grande Telecaster

Post by Bathamsbeer » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:11 pm

Hey is Teddy about ? I know he likes Rio Grande pickups and Tele,s...I,ve just bought a Muy Grande for Tele bridge and wondered if anyone had tried the Rio Grande Dirty Harry in the neck?(its supposed to be a P90 style) I fancy getting one and putting it in my 52ri CIJ vnt Telecaster ...

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Re: Rio Grande Telecaster

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:18 pm

I don't have the DH in the neck but I do have a bridge DH in a thinline. It's the only tele bridge pickup I tried that could keep up with a mini humbucker (DiMarzio) in the neck. If the neck pickup is as good as the bridge I wouldn't have a problem picking one up.

I know they equate it to a P90 and it's fairly close but it's just not as fat at the P90 style pups I've tried, which were the GHS mean 90s and Seymour Duncan P-rails. Either hardly a true P90 but I'm thinking they are close. I would say they are 2/3 of the way there though and it's a really nice pickup.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jord123
Orange Hero

Post by jord123 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:20 pm

I built a tele custom from warmoth, It has a dirty harry in the bridge and a vintage tallboy in the neck(hb) they are pretty hot, cant remeber exactly, but something like 14K at least one was, the other was like 12K check there website sounds sick and throws everyamp I have into overdive instantly, if you looking for crystal clean searing high end and mids for leads i wouldn't suggest them for an orange, at least a R30. at least w/out trebble boost. etc, sounds super rad through a Fender amp or nice vox ac30. that being said, my DH was in the bridge position so I expected a little more brighness. I would suggest using 500k pots w/ all of Rio Grande stuff. at least what I have, for a neck position? it would probably actually sound Rad! eventually I will put a coilsplitter in my neck HB (when I get the guitar back from my brother) and I imagine in single coil mode it will be similar to the DH.
I have also used them for my pbass build,( vintage p, and vintage powerbucker) and I will have to say they are especially crispy for a bass, and the powerbucker is like 18K, sooooooo...... whatever, cant beat the quality, and it will certainly warm up a cold brittle tele, just be prepared to mess w/ the pots to dial in your tone. hope that helps!

Jordiojord
Rain..Ammunition

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:47 pm

I don't have the pups you're looking for, but I've had Rio Gs in my strat (their P90 set), and I loved it, very cool tones.

Bathamsbeer

Post by Bathamsbeer » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:49 am

I think I,ll try it...I,ve got 2 other Teles,s I play live so I,m looking for a different sound from this one anyways... It,s going to have 4 way switching too so will be a bit of a beast :P

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:44 pm

Bathamsbeer wrote:Hey is Teddy about ? I know he likes Rio Grande pickups and Tele,s...I,ve just bought a Muy Grande for Tele bridge and wondered if anyone had tried the Rio Grande Dirty Harry in the neck?(its supposed to be a P90 style) I fancy getting one and putting it in my 52ri CIJ vnt Telecaster ...
Hello! One of my Teles had a Muy Grande in the neck, the other a Tallboy... those are still in there, but I actually now have Dimarzio Tone Zone Ts in the bridges. I love the Muy Grande bridge, my favourite single coil definitely, but I felt I just needed some extra 'oomph', attack and low end so I've gone for rails. I wouldn't hesitate to go back to the Muy Grandes if I was in a band with a bassist. FWIW, the Muy Grande neck is fantastic too.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC