How does the TH30 sound at low volume?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Tombotron2k

How does the TH30 sound at low volume?

Post by Tombotron2k » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Hi there, I am currently having to make a difficult decision between buying the Orange TH30 Combo or the Blackstar HT5 Combo.

I have played both of them and whilst I like them both, I believe that the Clean Channel of the Orange is far superior to that of the Blackstar and whilst the Blackstar overdrive is more like what I am used to using, I also could happily get used to the dirty channel on the TH30. It is far more my kind of sound than the Tiny Terror is. I grew up playing Fat Wreck Chords type punk rock and whilst I'm quite good at it, I have never really progressed far beyond that level of punk/metal. I really want to start learning how to do epic metal solos and some more interesting metal, thrash, sludge etc. I do play more clean music nowadays (although never really progressed beyond playing Britpop/Ska/Sublime etc) and also want to improve my clean playing.

Although the HT5 is cheaper, I am not bothered about the price difference and actually consider the TH30 to be reasonably well priced. My problem is that I want whatever amp I buy to be good enough at bedroom levels whilst also having the option to use it for gigs. I was in a punk/metal crossover band before but am unlikely to be in one for a while, although might have one-off appearances here and there. Anyhow, I would like the option to use my amp in both environments but the bedroom is where 99% of the action is gonna be :wink:

With that in mind, I would like to know what your thoughts are on playing the TH30 at bedroom level. I know the HT5 can do it well but if the TH30 is also good at low volumes then I will probably choose it. For instance, if I by-pass two of the tubes and play at 7W, will I be able to play without annoying the whole apartment complex whilst also getting a good tone out of the amp?

Please let me know your thoughts. In the meantime I will keep playing the Micro Crush I bought this weekend to quell the GASing!

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Re: How does the TH30 sound at low volume?

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:06 pm

I own a ht5 head and use a Marshall tsl 2x12 cab. Very good at low volumes IMO. I run a parametric eq in the loop and the amp really shines like this, sort of like taking off a blanket. Excellent low end and great cutting highs. Bit lacking without the pedal tho. £35 for pedal tho.
Not tried th30 yet. I had a tt but I think it sounded good pretty loud but not great low.
Tone is everything

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:17 pm

well the thunder 30 does have the power scaling feature, so it can get down to 7 watts. running at 7 watts, i still wouldn't say it's quiet, but it does sound good when the volume is rolled down. also, this is just my opinion, but i wouldn't spend the money on a quiet amp like the ht5 if i planned on gigging/jamming, i'd spend it on an amp that just plain sounds good all around, and has the power to at least keep up in jamming (and by that, i mean i'd go for the thunder 30 over the blackstar any day).
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:29 pm

Yeah you couldn't gig with the blackstar, well maybe a small pub. It's loud but the th30 for gigs defo. I hear it's very loud.
I think my ht5 was better at tv volume and home practice than the tt but you could always mic up a ht5?
I want a th30 too by the way! I'd never sell my ht5 tho. Tried a ht60 soloist the other day and it can't do low level well like it's baby bro.
Not sure how the th30 is voice but a tt needed to pushed a bit to get thick sounding and to me was a lot better on 15 watts.
If the tt is diff to the th30 at low volume then excuse my comparisant.
How about a ht20? If you like blackstar sound?
Tone is everything

Tombotron2k

Post by Tombotron2k » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:05 pm

Which Blackstar HT5 do you have? I'll admit, I quite fancy the Artisan Mini-Stack but think it would be pointless having 3 pieces of 5W gear so would probably get the Combo.

I would be perfectly happy with the HT5. I don't really want the HT20. It is such a tough call to make though as the TH30 is so amazing! I don't really like combos but would still probably get the TH30 in a combo if I bought it as would cost alot more to buy a head and a cab.

Reilly

Post by Reilly » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:37 pm

The TH30 is an awesome awesome amp that you could happliy keep for the forseeable future or perhaps even forever.

The Blackstar is a good amp, perhaps even an excellent amp. But on the overall scale of usefullness it's a 4 compared to the TH30's 9.9999. Nothing gets 10.

Tombotron2k

Post by Tombotron2k » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:56 pm

But is the TH30 good at bedroom levels?! That is the key question :lol:

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:09 pm

I have the ht5 head and I use a Marshall tsl 2x12 cab which has a vintage 30 speaker and a heritage speaker.
I think the ht 1x10 speaker cabs aren't great but there's plenty of room inside for a 12" speaker. I use my 2x12 on it's side and it's great sounding and looking! Very easy to dial a fat Marshall sound.
I just got a Marshall class 5 last week which is nice too but bloody loud and not the same type of gain available. I wouldn't have anything else for 80's hairmetal stuff now as the blackstar is spot on.

Tone is everything

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:14 pm

Tell me it ain't awesome looking!
Tone is everything

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:30 pm

The TH30 sounds great at bedroom levels when the power is scaled down.
The HT5 sounds great at bedroom levels.

The TH30 sounds great at gig levels?
The HT5 doesn't do gig levels.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:36 pm

OU818 wrote:The TH30 sounds great at bedroom levels when the power is scaled down.
The HT5 sounds great at bedroom levels.

The TH30 sounds great at gig levels?
The HT5 doesn't do gig levels.
and we have a winner!
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Tombotron2k

Post by Tombotron2k » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:37 pm

That is encouraging news.

Essentially, I just need to know if it is a waste of time to buy it for bedroom use.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:41 pm

7w with a master volume should sound fine. Orange master volumes are great.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:46 pm

Tombotron2k wrote:That is encouraging news.

Essentially, I just need to know if it is a waste of time to buy it for bedroom use.
i use mine in my dorm room occasionally and it sounds great. i mean, i don't think any amp will sound full and awesome at bedroom levels, but the thunder 30 definitely maintains its nice tone and character even at low levels. and personally, i love my thunder 30. it's very versatile, sounds huge, has great tone. it's a great amp, and i'm very happy that i went with it.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:22 pm

One in a million, if you live near me come try mine. Bedfordshire uk.
Your prob in USA now lol

I wouldn't replace the ht5 with th30 for bedroom cos I honestly couldn't believe any amp could sound this good at low volume. I would buy a th30 if I start to gig tho.
Tone is everything