Fat Strat with Rockerverb

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

burnt orange
Tiny Terror

Post by burnt orange » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:24 am

Anyone using a strat with an RV? I am thinking of getting one as a backup to my LP but I don't want to be changing eq's with every guitar change-hence considering a fat one. Thanks in advance.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Jul 26, 2005 1:37 am

Leon does...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:10 am

See my sig -- I've got an American Standard Strat Deluxe with HSS and an s1 switch. I bought it as a backup to my LP and while it can sound like my LP in the bridge it also gets strat tones in the middle and neck position. I like it...definately worth checking one out.

I like it because it doesn't have the typical weak strat sound that I found in most of the strats I played.

Also nothing beats a strat when your running modulation pedals.

Chris

LeonC
Orange Master

Post by LeonC » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:26 am

Strats don't sound like Les Pauls. And strats with humbuckers don't sound like either. But I guess the S-S-H type strats are the best compromise if you want both gorgeous strat neck pickup sounds and screaming humbucker bridge tones for soloing, etc. I like my Anderson Drop-Top for that sort of thing -- It's an H-S-H configuration and his humbuckers really split nicely. So with his "switcheroo" system, you can get any combination of SCs and HBs. Still...nothing like a real strat...

Anyway, FWIW, I don't think I'd do much, if any tweaking of EQ switching between those guitars on gigs. In fact, I haven't, when I've used both with my Rockerverb. Which, of course, doesn't mean you wouldn't want to. We've all got are own ideas about what's acceptable and what requires "more tweaking" ;).

burnt orange
Tiny Terror

Post by burnt orange » Tue Jul 26, 2005 3:59 am

Leon, Chris, Joe-thanks for the help. The HSS with the S-1 switching system is the one I am after.I have tried one out before{just not with the orange}and with your endorsements I'll probably be picking one up this week-thanks.

doc

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:01 am

If it matters, my Jeff Beck sounds great through my RV - no EQing necessary.
Greg

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:29 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br />If it matters, my Jeff Beck sounds great through my RV - no EQing necessary.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

It's got the Lace sensors right?

Chris

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:31 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by burnt orange</i>
<br />Leon, Chris, Joe-thanks for the help. The HSS with the S-1 switching system is the one I am after.I have tried one out before{just not with the orange}and with your endorsements I'll probably be picking one up this week-thanks.

doc

Leon is absolutely right -- a strat has a unique strat sound and won't be like a LP. My first attempt at posting failed so I think I might have mispke and left that out. In any case I'm happy with my strat...do yourself a favor though: purchase one through GC or Musicians Friend so you have a window to return it.

Chris

burnt orange
Tiny Terror

Post by burnt orange » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:59 am

GC it is. I have basically made a package deal for a strat and a Taylor 814 acoustic electric. Just wanted to get some opinions before I pull the trigger. We have two lead guitarists at my church-me and another who plays a very mean 345. We usually play opposite days but when we are paired together I thought the strat would be a nice contrast to the 345 over my LP. All the help is greatly appreciated.

doc

animapersa
Orange Master

Post by animapersa » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:00 am

a taylor 814? dammmmmmm that's a fine piece of wood your getting! I have my eye set on the 414 ce, and even that is out of my budget... ur making a good choice with the strat though.
Pierce

Mesa Boogie F-50, Gibson Les Paul, 1993 Peavey Preditor w/ texas specials, 1993 cij fender telecaster aerodyne

effects- lexicon mx300, seymour duncan tweakfuzz

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:32 am

I'm not a fan of the Taylors, although the 814 is one of the ones I might make an exception for. However, if I was going to be putting down that sort of money on an acoustic, i'd look into getting one custom built by a small operator, or go with one of the smaller boutique names. Goodall, Tacoma, Collings, Olsen, MacPherson are some that spring to mind.

If you've already played the Taylor and love it, then go for it, but Taylors often get pushed on people who do worship in church as they're often quite cutting, but I think it's a naive approach that's been perpetrated as they lower spec models are pretty good value and Taylors have been used by some high profile Christian artists. Like I said, if you're going to lay down money for an 814, if you haven't already done so, do yourself a favour and cast the net over the other side of the boat first, brother! For my money, i'd be going for a custom-made dreadnought or a grand auditorium / jumbo hybrid model, and a good pickup system i'd picked myself. I don't like the Taylor systems.
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

Jacuzzi

Post by Jacuzzi » Tue Jul 26, 2005 12:55 pm

Hi Burnt Orange,

I use different guitars through a RV 50 Head, and everytime I pick the Strat it feels like it's made for the RV. In fact, to me this seems to be *the* combination. With some of the humbuckered guitars, especially when the pickups are a little hotter and the guitar is made of mahogany, I need to cut off a lot of bass.
Michael (Jacuzzi)

indravayu
Orange Expert

Post by indravayu » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:20 pm

I have a Strat with Texas Specials that I play through my RV50 all the time - at first I didn't like the tone that much - I felt the RV series was much better suited to Gibsons/humbuckers - but as the speakers in my cab got broken in, I guess, the tone really started to grow on me - now I like it a lot (I also love my Tele through the RV). It's very different from my SG and not the guitar I would grab for some of the heaver stuff that I to do, but I think it's a great combination for most rock and blues.

- Chris

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Tue Jul 26, 2005 2:33 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by firebird1999us</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br />If it matters, my Jeff Beck sounds great through my RV - no EQing necessary.

It's got the Lace sensors right?

Chris

Oh yeah, it's a 97 model, lace sensors, locking tuners, LSR nut (I block the trem for stability and easy alternate tunings). Stringed with 10-52s. Sounds amazing.
Greg

firebird1999us
Duke of Orange

Post by firebird1999us » Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:00 pm

This is kind of an odd question but how do yo like the LS pickups Norrin? I mean are they high output? I'm very interested in perhaps putting some in my strat.

Two singles and a humbucker right?

Chris