Reverb Pedal and Acoustic Pick Up Options?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

the dirty tricks
Tiny Terror

Reverb Pedal and Acoustic Pick Up Options?

Post by the dirty tricks » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 am

Hi all,

Has anyone here had any experience using Digitech Hardwire Reverb with an AD30htc?

I am really interested in getting a reverb, ideally I need something roadworthy, durable and trustworthy (and sound great)....do you think this pedal will do the job?

Also, I am seriously considering a Baggs M1 Active soundhole pickup for my acoustic, has anyone used these or have any comments on this unit...again any alternatives which you feel appropriate?

If not can the good people of the forum suggest any other options?

Cheers guys!!!

Andy

Ohara
Orange Master

Re: Reverb Pedal and Acoustic Pick Up Options?

Post by Ohara » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:42 am

Can't help you with the reverb unfortunately :(

As far as the LR Baggs goes, I wouldn't be too shy of that. It says it responds to the resonance of the wood from the guitar, which in my opinion would be a great thing.

I used to use a Dean Markley sound hole pickup, the wooden one you slide in the soundhole with the cable coming out from it, and just ran it straight into the pa system and it sounded beautiful to my ears. So I can only imagine the LR Baggs sounding as good or more than likely better. :D
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:05 am

can't speak for the AD30 pr for the Hardwire verb, but if you're putting any reverb pedal in front of the amp, you're gonna have a hard time keeping it from sounding mushy whenever you switch to your dirt channel. your best shot is playing in a really big room, or asking the soundman to add some verb at the desk.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

flea
Orange Master

Post by flea » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:49 am

I don't have much experience with reverb, but I will say that LR Baggs are the bomb!

the dirty tricks
Tiny Terror

Post by the dirty tricks » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:16 am

Great stuff!

I have just heard back from the store who feel that I should also consider Fishman Rare Earth Humbuckers as a viable alternative,both seem like great pickups....Fishman could be better for live use if I dont want the noise of the guitar body amplified (I know that seems strange, many would see this as a plus point in an acoustic setting....im thinking that if I go with the Fishman I will get less interferance or extra noise i.e. arm rubbing on the guitar body, buttons on shirts tapping the back of the guitar which I had heard was a possible issue?)

The reverb search is going to be a little tricky as there are lots of decent reverbs out there! Along with the Digitech pedals I had also heard good things about the Electro Harmonix Holy Grail....this easier to get hold of in my area too.....

Any thoughts or views welcomed!

Thanks again!

Andy

hellagnar Brosevelt
Orange Expert

Post by hellagnar Brosevelt » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:44 am

The Digi is going to work out front better than the EH because of the volume control.

My General rule on this though is

Presence knob should be relabeled the crap knob and the reverb knob should be relabeled the mush knob.

by the way neither of those is a good thing.

I found that a subtle in the back delay is far better. Reverb is a man made effect.

Delay is what happens in the real world.

Enough delay and bounce around gets you this.
http://vimeo.com/7555190" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Which is awesome by the way. :wink:
http://blackdots.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

lamp
Tiny Terror

Post by lamp » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:10 am

The RV-7 is a really good reverb, and very versatile - lots of types/settings. However, if you're looking for straight up spring reverb, then the Boss FRV-1 is by far the best reverb pedal I have played. I have one and it's great. However, have never used it with my Orange as have an RV50.

Bensen
Orange Master

Post by Bensen » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:34 am

Play the Baggs M1 active and its the best acoustic pickup i ever owned, doesn't have any of the piezo quack at all and sounds great with my solo singer/songwriter stuff. Downside could be that it gets lost in a bigger band without the shrill highs, but i mostly play acoustic single so i don't care for that