Need to know how to break in a speaker?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:17 am

I found the following on the Celestion web site and thought it might be helpful:

<b>How do I break in my speakers?</b>

"Important Note! Before breaking it in it's advisable to "warm up" the speaker gently for a few minutes with low-level playing or background hum.

Break in a speaker with a fat, clean tone: turn up the power amp volume to full, and control the level with the preamp gain. Use a level that will be quite loud, but not painful in a normal size room.

Have the bass and mid up full, and the treble at least half. On your guitar, use the middle pick up position (if your guitar has more than one pick up) and play for 10-15 minutes using lots of open chords, and chunky percussive playing. This will get the cone moving, and should excite all the cone modes and get everything to settle in nicely. The speaker will continue to mature over the years, but this will get it 95% of the way to tonal perfection in the shortest time."
Greg

smo
Orange Hero

Post by smo » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:26 am

Cool,
thanks - i'll be doing this myself very soon - by freak coincidence i was just wondering about this a few days ago.
Thanks

Knuckle Bones
Orange Master

Post by Knuckle Bones » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:32 am

...hmmm...by freak coincidence I play that loud all the time...OK...maybe it's no coincidence... :-)
“It's amazing what new strings and a cold beer can do for your toneâ€

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:45 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smo</i>
<br />Cool,
thanks - i'll be doing this myself very soon - by freak coincidence i was just wondering about this a few days ago.
Thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Glad I could help. :) It only took me 448 posts before I finally contributed something useful! ;):D
Greg

kannibul
Orange Master

Post by kannibul » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:57 am

My method is to put the cab in a closet, run the speaker cable under the door to your amp.

Crank up, and jam out for a while - play all over the place too. Clean is generally going to move the cones more, distorted tones are going to do more top-end...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:17 am

Some speakers take longer to settle in that others. I just left a CD player running through mine for a good few hours. I'm also using the, "i'm just breaking in my speakers" explanation with my housemates to enable me to play loud!
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Sat Jul 23, 2005 1:45 pm

I heard about that Joe, they were most baffled at what you were doing!
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Jul 23, 2005 2:41 pm

Means to an end...
Joe

G(sus) saves

Orange AD15, Matamp 1224, Fender 'JD' Tele, G&L ASAT, Duesenberg Starplayer TV, Eggle Kanuga, Avalon D25, Warwick FNA Jazzman, Eden Nemesis / Bergantino EX112S, Eastman MD305 & other stuff...

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:28 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Norrin Radd</i>
<br /><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by smo</i>
<br />Cool,
Thanks

Glad I could help. :) It only took me 448 posts before I finally contributed something useful! ;):D

My first laugh of the day! This was good.

As far as breaking in speakers, I always thought it was a myth! Interesting to see that Celestion actually has advice about it...

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:21 pm

My Century Vintages sound a bit freer & less brittle now. I've been running them with either guitar or CD at loud volume for a couple of dozen hours at least though... I think Celestion are erring on the easy side with their, "give it some hum for 15 mins."
Joe

G(sus) saves

vinyl
Tiny Terror

Post by vinyl » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:53 pm

Play it. I have been around many professional musicians that make a good living, they get amazing tone and none of them ever "break in" new cabinets. My technician said that the chances of the human ear detecting a differece between a played speaker and a new one at concert volumes is very unlikely. It is not as crucial as some people make it out to be.

irish_admiral
Prince of Orange

Post by irish_admiral » Sat Jul 23, 2005 5:48 pm

I think it is if you mic it up. I played a gig shortly after my new speakers were in, and they did sound brittle. A non-muso probably wouldn't think, "that speaker is new," they'd just hear that maybe the sound wasn't quite as good as it was on that other gig...

Besides, quite a few places that supply cabs now break in the speakers for you.
Joe

G(sus) saves

kannibul
Orange Master

Post by kannibul » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:36 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vinyl</i>
<br />Play it. I have been around many professional musicians that make a good living, they get amazing tone and none of them ever "break in" new cabinets. My technician said that the chances of the human ear detecting a differece between a played speaker and a new one at concert volumes is very unlikely. It is not as crucial as some people make it out to be.

How many of us are at concert volumes at any time, even in our professional careers? Most of us play the bar and club scene, and never get past that....

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Jul 23, 2005 7:45 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by vinyl</i>
<br />Play it. I have been around many professional musicians that make a good living, they get amazing tone and none of them ever "break in" new cabinets. My technician said that the chances of the human ear detecting a differece between a played speaker and a new one at concert volumes is very unlikely. It is not as crucial as some people make it out to be.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"><font size="1">I'm not sure I agree with that. It obviously depends on the speaker...and the amp, and your playing style. But i've heard HUGE differences in speakers out of the box vs. being played for a while. V30's especially. My entire band hated the V30s I put in my Hiwatt cab when I first got them. Myself included. In fact, the only reason why I kept them was because of what I heard about them needing to be broken in.

They sound a LOT different now.

Other speakers have changes that aren't as profound. AlNiCo Blues, for example. You can definitely hear the speaker smooth out and loosen up. But it's not a night and day change like the V30's. Same thing with Greenbacks. They smooth out, warm up, and loosen up. Nothing huge. I can see how someone may not notice it if they don't know the amp real well.

Most of us are a little bit of player and a little bit of technician. Some sway more on one side than the other. That influences what we hear and what we want to hear (or what we think we should be hearing). As a technician, I can understand that you shouldn't hear a <i>huge</i> difference from the speaker being played for a while out of the box. But as a player, i've heard it with my own ears and I believe it! ;)

-Nick</font id="size1">
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:50 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">As far as breaking in speakers, I always thought it was a myth! Interesting to see that Celestion actually has advice about it...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">No its true enough. All speakers will break in to a greater or lesser degree. Hi fi speakers too. It seems from a lot of comments including Nicks that the V.30 is one of the drivers where it is most obvious. Others won't be nearly so dramatic. And while the basic overall tone doesn't normally change that much, its usually a case of the sound becoming a bit less tight generally and perhaps the treble in particular smoothing off a bit.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">How many of us are at concert volumes at any time, even in our professional careers? Most of us play the bar and club scene, and never get past that....<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">And thats not the same as playing concerts? ;)

I guess what you mean is that you don't play deafeningly stupid loud? Which I approve of. If I was playing far too loudly myself I'd just walk out...! [:0]

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.