I just traded DOWN in a big way... and couldn't be happier!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

I just traded DOWN in a big way... and couldn't be happier!

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:33 pm

I've hardly been playing bass over the past few years and I decided it was time to sell my Musicman Stingray. I learnt to play on a humble Mexican Fender Jazz, but spent my teens lusting after a black/black/maple Stingray, without much hope of ever affording one... until one day I scooped a used one up off German Ebay for about a third of the new price!

Soon after that, my trusty Jazz was sold and I stuck with the Stingray for 8 years. I loved the sound, loved the look... but never truly fell for the fat, thick neck. It just didn't ever feel right in my hands.

Over the past few days things have moved fast - I sold the Stingray to a guy on Basschat for about what I paid for it, then as luck would have it I spotted an almost new MIM Jazz from a 'proper' guitar shop on Ebay - for 205GBP! Only one other guy bid and I pipped him at the end! They described it as 'good condition', but it looks like it's probably never been owned - it still has the plastic on the scratchplate!

The Stingray went out and the Jazz arrived the same day. So, out goes a bass that retails here for 1400GBP+, in comes a bass in the just sub-600GBP range. You know what? I couldn't be happier! A few seconds after picking up the Jazz and playing it, I had a big grin on my face - I truly adore the thin, fast feel of a Jazz neck!! It's really inspired me to pick up my bass again and play it, which is surely a fantastic quality in any instrument.

I thought I'd miss the Stingray, but whilst is was a thing of beauty and incredibly well made, I am 100% sure I made the right decision. Plus, with the money I have gained in this dealing, I can easily afford some new pickups if I'm not happy with the overall sound of the Jazz, with a lump left over to put towards something else in the future... am lusting after an SP410 for example!

Anyone else been lured in by big ticket instruments, then eventually found themselves craving their old, cheap one that fits like a glove? :mrgreen: Just goes to show that more expensive doesn't always mean better.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: I just traded DOWN in a big way... and couldn't be happier!

Post by Neiloler » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:59 pm

Well, I kind of did something similar: sold my Orange to use my little Carvin. I'm buying an LP (I'll shut up about it soon, I promise) with the money, but I'm not missing the Orange at all.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:07 pm

To be honest, i've always been impressed by the quality of squiers... So that a mim bass be really good doesn't sound too surprising to me.

My friend's lefty squier bass even had a very pretty figured rosewood fingerboard - it was a pretty impressive instrument.

Her stagg bass had a pretty huge sound too!

Sooo.... Pics?
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:12 pm

Don't get me wrong - the quality of manufacture on the Musicman far exceeded the Fender, the wood on the neck of the Musicman was beautiful and all the little touches and attention to detail were apparrent. The frets were finished better, the bridge was obviously much more hefty... you could see why it was more than twice the price new.

However, my point is that sometimes just because something is better made with more expensive parts doesn't mean it is better for your needs! The way an instrument feels, hangs and fits in your hands is so important. I also think if you learn on a particular instrument, you have a bond with it that it hard to replace/break.

Here is the departed Stingray, not taken any of the Jazz yet! It's black with tortoise guard.

Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:40 pm

I like me Squier basses too :D ! I imagine the MIM stuff has better ingredients though.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:48 pm

I think you did the right thing. Those Musicmans are made great but I don't like the sound. The ones I've played/heard were active which I don't really dig. I'm not sure if they all have active electronics or not.

venusandeve
Tiny Terror

Post by venusandeve » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:19 pm

it's a mixup of all sorts... iirc, some can be ordered with different eq options and or active stuff. i know the Big AL can be switched between active and passive on the go. i have a 4 string bongo lying around.
Music Man Steve Morse Y2D in C standard with EMGs (85/sa/60)
Music Man Petrucci 7 String w/ Crunchlab & Liquifire
Gibson LP Std in standard tuning w/ emg Hetfield set
Dean 30th Anniv. V. stock
Orange Thunderverb 50 into Kool&Elfring 4x12XL /w v30s

Action-Hank
Rocker

Post by Action-Hank » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:35 pm

Ted! Good to 'see' you again =P

Our bassist 'Princess' has recently traded a Tobias 6 string (which iirc he acquired for about £150) for a P-bass - which was built from parts by the previous owner.
The P sounds absolutely MENTAL! It romps all over his Stingray - and was built for about £300! The pickup is a Dimarzio, so I guess must be a Model P.
On the subject of Dimarzio, I see you've been playing with Tone Zones! I've got Tone Zone and PAF Pro HB's in my Explorer, and the TZ sounds absolutely mighty. In drop C I'm putting out as much low-end as a bass!

riffmonster
Orange Master

Post by riffmonster » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:03 pm

sort of on topic...

our prevoius bass player had a stingray, the new bass player plays a squire jazz bass and seems to get a much (to my ears) better sound... well it seems to fit what we do better anyway.

:D
Mark

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:12 pm

Hi Tom! We need to hang out sometime, not seen you since the NDA thingy on the farm!

Yeah, I'm loving the Tone Zones in my Teles - I'm sure the full size ones even beefier, might get some for my V.

I'm tempted to buy some pickups from Wizard for my Jazz - they get really good reviews around the net, gonna give the stock ones a chance first though as apparently they are the 2009 'upgraded' ones...
Action-Hank wrote:Ted! Good to 'see' you again =P

Our bassist 'Princess' has recently traded a Tobias 6 string (which iirc he acquired for about £150) for a P-bass - which was built from parts by the previous owner.
The P sounds absolutely MENTAL! It romps all over his Stingray - and was built for about £300! The pickup is a Dimarzio, so I guess must be a Model P.
On the subject of Dimarzio, I see you've been playing with Tone Zones! I've got Tone Zone and PAF Pro HB's in my Explorer, and the TZ sounds absolutely mighty. In drop C I'm putting out as much low-end as a bass!
Teddy
I play an AD30TC

Action-Hank
Rocker

Post by Action-Hank » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Hells yeah man. We'll have to hook up in Exeter sometime soon?!

The NDA Farm thingy is going Big Scale this year too! Change of venue, proper big stage etc etc! And this time we can advertise properly!

Oooh - I'm just about to bung some new Pups in the Agile too!

Anyway, I'll let people get back on topic! :D

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:41 pm

i think the moral of this story is that guitars/basses/whatever are musical instruments and not fashion statements.

it should feel right first, and look right second - if even that.

i remember my first good guitar was a honey burst LP that i fell in love with. i ended up selling it because the neck was just not good for my hands. i don't miss it at all now that i have something that both feels great and looks incredible too.

i've been playing a ton more bass lately too and i'm really diggin it a lot
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

OU818
Orange Master

Post by OU818 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:24 pm

All this talk of basses is making me GAS for the Thunderbird I ordered. It left Chicago 2 days ago.
Orange Gear:
AD200B MkIII
OBC810

Non-Orange:
Bergantino NXT212
Bergantino Forte D
Woogie Lessie
Laney DBV-410

Basses:
Ernie Ball Stingray 4H
Rickenbacker 4003
Gibson Midtown Signature
Gibson Thunderbird
Gibson Nikki Sixx Thunderbird
Gibson Les Paul Bass

Nork
Orange Master

Post by Nork » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:32 am

welcome back! bah. it's not trading down if it makes ya happy. it sounds profitable to me! i'm thinking of going down to a Traynor Dark Horse still.
--Nick

Parker Nitefly SA -> TC PolyTune -> OLER Box ->Timmy -> MP SHOD -> Eventide TimeFactor/e3 -> Orange TT -> Avatar 112 (Weber 1225)

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:22 pm

Going down is never an issue! I love my old beaten and bruised cheapo Tokai Tele I got for a case of beer... It just fits!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet