Re: What's your favorite Les Paul case?

Post by Van Cleef » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:51 am

i got a deluxe fender case for my tele - it's bulletproof, just like the tele -
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:26 pm

Neiloler wrote:Hiscox does look like a great option, but I don't know if I can swing the $250 pricetag.
Ouch!
Is that really the price there for the standard case? If so thats a pity. Silly price hikes tend to happen both ways with the transatlantic crossing though. Real shame! :(

Found exactly what you need for GBP69.00 in the UK...
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hiscox-std-eg/3097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

pinkpunkcaddy
Rocker

Post by pinkpunkcaddy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:53 pm

Neiloler, I'm glad you started this thread. Now I'm second guessing the Gibson case and may get something with more protection over style.
Orange AD30TC Combo
Orange Rocker 30
Orange AD200
1967 Fender Princeton Reverb
Marshall 4x12
Ampeg 6X10
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Jr. DC
Mario Guitars Jazzmaster
Eastman Slope Shoulder

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:10 pm

a.hun wrote:
Neiloler wrote:Hiscox does look like a great option, but I don't know if I can swing the $250 pricetag.
Ouch!
Is that really the price there for the standard case? If so thats a pity. Silly price hikes tend to happen both ways with the transatlantic crossing though. Real shame! :(

Found exactly what you need for GBP69.00 in the UK...
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/hiscox-std-eg/3097" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
Yeah, I found a few shops that have em but they're all about that much ($250) for the standard cases. I found a bunch of eBay auctions for the cases and it seems like their price is $135 and then it's another $125 or so to ship it from the UK. Bummers indeed, I really like the design and construction. If I were getting some $4k LP, I'd spring on it, but for a $850 guitar it's hard to spend a third of that more on a case.

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:11 pm

pinkpunkcaddy wrote:Neiloler, I'm glad you started this thread. Now I'm second guessing the Gibson case and may get something with more protection over style.
Haha, hey, glad it's worthwhile to you! :) I'm excited to see pictures of your Gold Top! :)

pinkpunkcaddy
Rocker

Post by pinkpunkcaddy » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Neiloler wrote:
pinkpunkcaddy wrote:Neiloler, I'm glad you started this thread. Now I'm second guessing the Gibson case and may get something with more protection over style.
Haha, hey, glad it's worthwhile to you! :) I'm excited to see pictures of your Gold Top! :)
The same for your Honey Burst! Can't wait to see pics. Those things are beautiful. If they didn't make the Goldtop, the Honey Burst would have been what I ordered.
Orange AD30TC Combo
Orange Rocker 30
Orange AD200
1967 Fender Princeton Reverb
Marshall 4x12
Ampeg 6X10
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Jr. DC
Mario Guitars Jazzmaster
Eastman Slope Shoulder

AJS19
Orange Expert

Post by AJS19 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:49 pm

I have the SKB case, and it's top notch!
http://www.amazon.com/SKB-56-Molded-Gui ... B0015B0EB8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Please, call me Austin.
My Gear List

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:00 pm

My LP came with its case, I love it and you know it fits like a glove. Gotta love the dark red crushed velvet lining and padded handle, the Gibson Custom Shop logo on the outside is an added bonus. I like the shape too, I'm a bit fussy about case shapes. Oh and it has to be black :)

I had a coffin case many years ago, I had a pink sg copy in it. Made me smile anyway :mrgreen:
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:27 pm

Tango wrote:My LP came with its case, I love it and you know it fits like a glove. Gotta love the dark red crushed velvet lining and padded handle, the Gibson Custom Shop logo on the outside is an added bonus. I like the shape too, I'm a bit fussy about case shapes. Oh and it has to be black :)

I had a coffin case many years ago, I had a pink sg copy in it. Made me smile anyway :mrgreen:
:) I hear ya. Again, I wish this Gibby came with a case, but I suppose I can think of it as my $850 for the guitar isn't going towards any cases, just the purity of the guitar...because the "gig bag" that comes with the guitar is rumored to be thinner than most rubbish bin liners... ;)

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:45 pm

Gig bag?!

That's rubbish, my old LP Studio came with a gig bag and I always thought that was not on at all.
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:51 pm

Tango wrote:Gig bag?!

That's rubbish, my old LP Studio came with a gig bag and I always thought that was not on at all.
Yeah, it's a bit lame, but I'm okay with it. Ordered the SKB case (because Austin has it, and he's a cool dude ;)), and I'm thinking it'll be perfect.

This one:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--DAVSKB56
Last edited by Neiloler on Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neonrust
Duke of Orange

Post by neonrust » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:52 pm

That case'll do the job nicely!
Last edited by neonrust on Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
((((((((((((((((((((((((Andy))))))))))))))))))))

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:01 pm

Neiloler wrote:
Tango wrote:My LP came with its case, I love it and you know it fits like a glove. Gotta love the dark red crushed velvet lining and padded handle, the Gibson Custom Shop logo on the outside is an added bonus. I like the shape too, I'm a bit fussy about case shapes. Oh and it has to be black :)

:) I hear ya. Again, I wish this Gibby came with a case, but I suppose I can think of it as my $850 for the guitar isn't going towards any cases, just the purity of the guitar...because the "gig bag" that comes with the guitar is rumored to be thinner than most rubbish bin liners... ;)
My gibson came with a gig bag AND a case. 8) Actually, it came with a gigbag when it was supposed to come with a hardcase, so they sent me the hardcase separately after I complained. But still, now I have both!

The gigbag seems ok to me. It is what it is... a gigbag. You can't really expect it to be that much protection. It'd be better for a fender style guitar, but I wouldn't carry a guitar with an angled-style headstock around in it. It would protect the guitar from getting scratched, but not much more. When you put the guitar in the gigbag, you can see it angle back at the headstock. It's obviously not really protecting a Gibson's favorite way to break... so the hardshell case is definitely a good call.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:48 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:
Neiloler wrote:

My gibson came with a gig bag AND a case. 8) Actually, it came with a gigbag when it was supposed to come with a hardcase, so they sent me the hardcase separately after I complained. But still, now I have both!

The gigbag seems ok to me. It is what it is... a gigbag. You can't really expect it to be that much protection. It'd be better for a fender style guitar, but I wouldn't carry a guitar with an angled-style headstock around in it. It would protect the guitar from getting scratched, but not much more. When you put the guitar in the gigbag, you can see it angle back at the headstock. It's obviously not really protecting a Gibson's favorite way to break... so the hardshell case is definitely a good call.
Question. Did they send you a Gibson case that's actually made for Specials and Juniors? Because they supposedly don't exist anymore. That may be a regular Les Paul case. I think mine is a regular Les Paul case too but I'm not really sure since it's older. It seems to fit ok but I can't really tell. Anyways, I've heard it's better to cut about 1/4" of foam to the body shape and put it under the body of the guitar in the case so the neck sets right.

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:59 pm

Neiloler wrote:
Tango wrote:Gig bag?!

Yeah, it's a bit lame, but I'm okay with it. Ordered the SKB case (because Austin has it, and he's a cool dude ;)), and I'm thinking it'll be perfect.

This one:

http://www.samedaymusic.com/product--DAVSKB56
Fits the bill nicely that! :D