Anyone use an attenuator with your Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

annostyle

Anyone use an attenuator with your Orange?

Post by annostyle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:55 pm

With the exception of the Thunderverbs of course. Like a THD, Dr. Z, or other? If so, how does it sound? I'm curiously researching and considering.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Re: Anyone use an attenuator with your Orange?

Post by a.hun » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:02 pm

Try the forum search. Lots of info / opinions on them here. :wink:

And yes, I've used my THD Hotplate very successfully with my Orange 120 and R.30 amps.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Icarus
Orange Expert

Post by Icarus » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:22 pm

I also have a THD hotplate, I don't use it with my heads, I bought it a long time ago but I have tried it with my oranges and it works just fine.
Thunderverb 200
Rockerverb 50
PPC412hp8
PPC212cb
Les Paul Custom
American Standard Tele

GuitaristZ0S0
Orange Hero

Post by GuitaristZ0S0 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:40 pm

annostyle wrote:With the exception of the Thunderverbs of course. Like a THD, Dr. Z, or other? If so, how does it sound? I'm curiously researching and considering.
Annostyle your rig is freaking sexy!
Equip:
2002 PRS CE 24
2006 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Orange Tiny Terror
Vox Lil Night Train
Marshall 4x12

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:54 pm

Just a side note. I just sold my Weber Mini Mass just because I don't need it anymore, but that's one killer piece of gear. Absolutely no tone loss whatsoever. The price is right and it works amazing. I would never consider another brand after using the Mini Mass for a while.

allthatjazz

Post by allthatjazz » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:59 pm

I use the BAD CAT Leash with my Orange 40th anni CS.
Works great! Better then my THD hotplate and Dr Z Airbrake.
First dial in the settings on the head and then engage the attenuator.

butnut

Post by butnut » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:09 pm

Dr Z Brakelite on my R30....worked OK, but the size gig we play at, don't need it.
hopeless modaholic

TheOrangeJuicer
Orange Master

Post by TheOrangeJuicer » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:09 pm

They are not the healthiest thing for amps. Plus they squash tone. Even the best ones compress things. The Orange master volume circuit sounds great on its own and really doesn't benefit from an attenuator IMO. You gain in one area and lose in another (puns intended). By using a really good quality OD pedal or a pick-up booster, you get dynamic expansion, retain pick attack, and can get a wider range of tones at different levels. Plus they are way less than good attenuators. The E-H LPB is only $39...
-Bill

Orange Amplification full line dealer
http://www.uptownaudio.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.biglickamplification.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:32 pm

I have a couple of the discontinued Marshall SE-100 Speaker Emulators which attenuate but also provide a direct out for recording or live use. With or without cabinet. Very cool piece of gear, almost impossible to find since anyone who has one generally keeps it...

Edit: that said, there are two on ebay. Here's one with better pictures:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Marshall-SE100-Atte ... 0243070377" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:53 pm

TheOrangeJuicer wrote:They are not the healthiest thing for amps. Plus they squash tone. Even the best ones compress things. The Orange master volume circuit sounds great on its own and really doesn't benefit from an attenuator IMO. You gain in one area and lose in another (puns intended).
THe modern Orange MVs are excellent, I totally agree. I don't really use the THD much with my R.30 now as there is little real benefit. But it certainly can work a treat with the old OR120 with its much more primitive MV. Absolutely!

Not sure why you say attenuators aren't the healthiest things for amps. Using one with the amp working hard shouldn't be any harder on the amp than cranking the amp hard without an attenuator would be. If an amp fails it is simply because the amp wasn't healthy enough to run at full output power, not because of the attenuator as such.

The only real thing that can cause real problems (apart from correct amp --> attenuator impedance matching - care still needed!) is switching attenuation settings with the amp running at high power ie sustaining a loud note. But you don't need to switch off to change settings, just stop playing for a moment...
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showpo ... ostcount=8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:00 pm

I have an Dr Z air brake and brake lite right now but I use them with my THD Flexi-50 and Genz Benz BP30. I tried my AD30HTC with the air brake and it sounded like garbage. Killed the dynamics and flattened out the tone in a big way. With other amps the attenuators can click back the volume a tad and add just a bit of compression, but with the AD30 the master volume does a world better in those departments.

Orange makes, by far, the best master volume circuit out of any tube amp that I own, or have owned. Very dynamic and useful so for me there really isn't much need for an attenuator.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:41 pm

what ever happened to the units tom scholz built? they were pretty popular in the 80's; basically the only game in town. i had a few and they did what they were supposed to do.

just wondering.....
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:23 am

sidvicious wrote:what ever happened to the units tom scholz built? they were pretty popular in the 80's; basically the only game in town. i had a few and they did what they were supposed to do.

just wondering.....
I know there was talk that they ate Marshalls, but more importantly, you got the sound of every Boston album...

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:25 am

baytamusic wrote:Just a side note. I just sold my Weber Mini Mass just because I don't need it anymore, but that's one killer piece of gear. Absolutely no tone loss whatsoever. The price is right and it works amazing. I would never consider another brand after using the Mini Mass for a while.
truer words. weber mass series is awesome.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:32 am

also should be noted that the thunderverb series doesnt truly attenuate. as far as i know, it is a clever combo of post-phase inverter master volume and PI gainstage manipulation on a dual-ganged pot. but technically not output attenuation as the OT isnt involved from how i understand it.

sounds effing brilliant though. no discernable tone loss. the only thing you lose are the things you have to lose at lower volumes due to fletcher-munson curves or what not, such as that chest-punch feeling and some EQ shifts which can be compensated for. overall though, a simple "loudness" knob if there ever was one.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.