OT: Scientific analysis of GAS

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jangle
Orange Hero

OT: Scientific analysis of GAS

Post by jangle » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:02 pm

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/ ... 021411.php

I admit I wanted my first Strat to be two-tone sunburst and maple-necked after Buddy Holly's iconic instrument but some of the subsequent stars' replicas (e.g. Malmsteen) are a bit OTT - but then so is a fetish.

And what's this 'modest amount of money' nonsense? Have they seen Fender & Gibson prices?

xenious
Orange Hero

Re: OT: Scientific analysis of GAS

Post by xenious » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Interesting article. I'll admit my first serious guitar (the JEM) was lusted after because it was Vai's signature design. As I improved I realized that it was a good playing guitar and enjoyed it for itself as opposed to the artist connection.

Subsequent guitars were more about chasing tones ... which can originate from an artist who plays a single type/model of guitar often. Brian Setzer got me interested in TV Jones and Gretsch. Or even amps where an Orange was described as a combination between a Marshall and a Vox, bi-amped. Wolfmother was getting a great sound I liked bi-amping like that which got me into Orange in the first place. The connection with the sound gets me there and then you make it your own when you add yourself to the mix.
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:06 pm

I never got into trying to sound like my guitar heroes by buying their signature gear. It just seemed like it was a bit fake; I know I can't sound like them by simply buying something with their name on it. It also seemed fake, like I'm paying extra money for the name of my favorite rock star who was embodying originality and honesty. Seemed backwards.

Tango
Orange Master

Post by Tango » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:31 pm

I wouldn't buy signature gear, himself didn't buy the Strummer guitar and he is a huge fan. He has a black Tele that he's made is own. I have the same guitar as my guitar heroes but that was by pure coincidence as it's the guitar I've always wanted, they just happen to think its ace too :D
http://www.radio-clash.com/fr_home.cfm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:49 pm

I blame it on the beans.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:54 pm

baytamusic wrote:I blame it on the beans.
Turkey blames it on the Kurds.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:58 pm

Neiloler wrote:I never got into trying to sound like my guitar heroes by buying their signature gear. It just seemed like it was a bit fake; I know I can't sound like them by simply buying something with their name on it. It also seemed fake, like I'm paying extra money for the name of my favorite rock star who was embodying originality and honesty. Seemed backwards.
+1.

i've spent most of my time playing guitar (once i got past the learning the basics) developing a style that would be immediately recognizable as my own through use of effects and the method and precision (or lack thereof) with which i play the notes i choose to play or not play. even just straight into an amp, i remain damn confident that people can still recognize my playing as mine instead of spending all my life trying to play like clapton or steve vai or some such other BS.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:37 pm

really, GAS is just another manifestation of materialism. except worse, because musicians often preach about materialism and then turn around and talk about how bad they want x amp or x pedal or x guitar.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:33 am

jason41224 wrote:really, GAS is just another manifestation of materialism. except worse, because musicians often preach about materialism and then turn around and talk about how bad they want x amp or x pedal or x guitar.
This is true :oops: . It could be worse than my humble collection. I'm pretty sure that Tom Morello owns an aircraft carrier full of pedals :D .

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Post by tadaitstyler » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:24 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
jason41224 wrote:really, GAS is just another manifestation of materialism. except worse, because musicians often preach about materialism and then turn around and talk about how bad they want x amp or x pedal or x guitar.
This is true :oops: . It could be worse than my humble collection. I'm pretty sure that Tom Morello owns an aircraft carrier full of pedals :D .
Mmmm. That sounds delicious.