Would you rather have.......

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Would you rather have.......

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:16 pm

Would you rather have a few regular guitars that play/sound mediocre or one main great guitar that isn't as versatile as 3 different ones but by far excels in overal tone/sound playability than all the others.???

Would you have multiple amps and with different sounds with a mediore sound or one amp with one impressive sound that only nails one sound perfect.

Doesn't matter how much money you have. Rules are you can't buy nothing new/used just trade your existing gear for better or more options

What would you do?

Personally I keep thinking of keeping my main axe my charvel and part ex/trade my other gear for a killer one amp/guitar setup.

What's your choice???? :evil:
Tone is everything

Wendigo
Orange Master

Re: Would you rather have.......

Post by Wendigo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:33 pm

I think the one main rig is the way to go. However, I currently have two main rigs that I wouldn't part with: my '61 SG/Orange RV50C (original), and my Strat Deluxe/Fender Bassman/TS808/EHXHolyGrail. With those two setups I have every base that I need to cover covered. Don't ask me which of those I would keep if I could only have one, because I could never choose.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:34 pm

I like this discussion topic. I recently sold all my guitars but one and bought one good one instead of having a bunch of mediocre ones. I also am in the process of selling all my amps and having just two really good amps that I like. I came to the realization it's better to have a few really good items, rather than a bunch of ok ones. Quality over quantity.

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:48 pm

These answers fuel my gas for a rv50 combo :twisted:

To shift my blackstar and cab would be a hard thing to do as it's lovely but I'm always gonna want a rv.

I can shift my ibanez and this too get 2nd hand rv combo but for new would mean shifting my bfg too. I don't have space for 2 rigs and I can't justify the money as mainly a bedroom player plus I need about £1k to do both my tattoo sleeves :roll:

Glad to hear quality wins over quantity so far
Tone is everything

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:49 pm

I would go for the one killer sound (great guitar and great amp) that is your signature sound. When people hear it they know its good and they know its you.

Think of Gary Moore (RIP). He had a great sound that when you heard it you knew it was him.

That said, the great guitar has to be the guitar that speaks to you with its tone and the great amp has to be the great amp that speaks to you with its tone with your great guitar plugged into it. Don't just settle on an amp because of its reputation. Tone is everything!
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jackincaves
Rocker

Post by jackincaves » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:01 pm

This is an interesting one!

I can see the appeal of having just one great guitar/amp but I think that if you're in a band that gigs at all regularly you need at least one back up. Just in case!

I have a few guitars to use live that all cost £200 or less (so I won't be too concerned if they get damaged) and are good enough to get through a show but aren't reeeaaally up to scratch for recording but will do if needs be: a Tokai SG junior, Epiphone Flying V and First Act Lola. Then I have a custom First Act Delia and an American Tele that get used for recording, practicing, etc. As I said, I couldn't cut down to just one guitar but I could probably get rid of the 'stage' guitars and just try and be a bit more careful with the nice ones. That doesn't sound like half as much fun though!

I think having as good an amp as you can afford is a must, as that can have far more impact on your sound. At the risk of sounding like a gear snob, I played a show the other night and one of the guitarists in one of the other bands was playing a PRS SE of some kind that he'd 'upgraded' the pickups in (I couldn't make out what ones) through a Line6 Spider combo. Needless to say, it sounded disgusting and I couldn't help thinking that he'd have been a lot better off if he sold his PRS and line6, bought a guitar half the price and invested what was left in a decent amp.
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:06 pm

One main rig, and one main guitar. I'm all about having a signature sound and that's the way you play and sound, and everything you play has your own personal flavor that way.
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:16 pm

I have had that same debate in my head for many many years. I ended up getting my hands on a guitar that is absolutely perfect for me, and since I have owned it, I have sold off most of my collection of guitars (6 of the 11) as I just didn't play them anymore. :( I enjoyed looking at them hanging on the wall in my basement but it hurt me to see them hanging there collecting dust, and the money value played a factor in the decision as well. Too much money sitting there which went to better things that I truly needed. As far as amps go, I firmly believe it is not a bad thing to have a backup amp, just in case your tubes go and it is in between pays and you just don't have the extra coin sitting around at that moment. With the backup sitting there at least you have something you can use if you already have a gig lined up.

So now I have only three electric guitars, and three acoustic guitars, as they all serve a purpose even though I don't always use them. But I think everyone should have a strat in their collection as well as a guitar equipped with humbuckers, plus when you are onstage and break a string it is nice to have a guitar sitting there ready to go, so you can change the string when you take a scheduled break.
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:29 pm

I can understand having a backup for gigs. Now if you found a awesome guitar then I guess it would be of a similar type style. Cover bands yes need variety but for your own music I guess is one type of sound.
Tone is everything

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:22 pm

i've got two main guitars that i use (three once i fix my strat) and one guitar that's in open C for playing weird stuff, but that one doesn't get too much play because a lot of people have a hard time figuring out how to jam with open tunings. personally, i like having options as far as guitars go, and i'd rather sink cash into the mid-range guitars that i own that could use slight upgrades than to try to sell those off and take a loss on them when i've already chosen them as guitars that sing to me. as far as amps, i've got two tube amps that i love dearly and both are pretty significant to my sound. i'll be looking for another once i start working, as i'd like to run a dual amp setup with my orange and something a little brighter (i'm thinking AC30 or a hiwatt in the 20-40w range) to fill out the frequencies the orange doesn't cover.

that said, i think a signature sound comes more from how you play than what you're playing. i rest pretty confidently knowing that people are going to know it's me on the guitar whether i'm on my G&L straight into the orange with just a delay pedal or running my jay turser 335 (i'm thinking of throwing toaster slot rics into this one) through my full board to my fender, based purely on my playing style and the notes i choose to play or not play. david gilmour has played a bunch of different guitars and amps in his time, as have page, clapton and hendrix. regardless of what amp they're using or if it's running a 335, LP, tele or strat, you can still tell who's playing by their individual style, which i've always felt isn't defined by gear in the slightest.

that said, i'm very happy with my setup. i'd like another amp because re-write dept needs my fender for our other guitarist to play on, so i'd like to get another 30-50w amp to play with. i'd also like a couple of pedals (some moogerfoogers, a DBA IOD supreme and a crowther hotcake or double cake). all of those things are things i can worry about later, though. i'm still having the time of my life playing with the rig i've got.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:47 pm

i'd go the one guitar route. but i guess it depends at what point you'd consider a guitar 'mediocre'. i'd rather have a few $600-700 guitars than just one $2000 guitar. but i'd rather have one $600-700 guitar than three $200 guitars. any day.

as for the amp/guitar setup, i think it's better to have an expensive amp and a cheap guitar. my best friend has a $3000 Heritage LP DC, which he plays through a Vox VTAD30 (hybrid). it sounds okay, but i have a feeling that's more of the guitar's wonder shining through. although i give him credit, he didn't buy his guitar. it was given to him by an old friend who just passed away last year, just before my friend went off to college.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:50 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:i've got two main guitars that i use (three once i fix my strat) and one guitar that's in open C for playing weird stuff, but that one doesn't get too much play because a lot of people have a hard time figuring out how to jam with open tunings. personally, i like having options as far as guitars go, and i'd rather sink cash into the mid-range guitars that i own that could use slight upgrades than to try to sell those off and take a loss on them when i've already chosen them as guitars that sing to me. as far as amps, i've got two tube amps that i love dearly and both are pretty significant to my sound. i'll be looking for another once i start working, as i'd like to run a dual amp setup with my orange and something a little brighter (i'm thinking AC30 or a hiwatt in the 20-40w range) to fill out the frequencies the orange doesn't cover.

that said, i think a signature sound comes more from how you play than what you're playing. i rest pretty confidently knowing that people are going to know it's me on the guitar whether i'm on my G&L straight into the orange with just a delay pedal or running my jay turser 335 (i'm thinking of throwing toaster slot rics into this one) through my full board to my fender, based purely on my playing style and the notes i choose to play or not play. david gilmour has played a bunch of different guitars and amps in his time, as have page, clapton and hendrix. regardless of what amp they're using or if it's running a 335, LP, tele or strat, you can still tell who's playing by their individual style, which i've always felt isn't defined by gear in the slightest.

that said, i'm very happy with my setup. i'd like another amp because re-write dept needs my fender for our other guitarist to play on, so i'd like to get another 30-50w amp to play with. i'd also like a couple of pedals (some moogerfoogers, a DBA IOD supreme and a crowther hotcake or double cake). all of those things are things i can worry about later, though. i'm still having the time of my life playing with the rig i've got.
lots of 'that said' asides in this one. oops.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:01 am

I'm the wrong guy to answer this, but I'd have to say multiple good guitars for different sounds- some songs need a different sound. Ditto amps- my main go-to amp has been my AD30TC combo, but that's not to say I would only use that if I were going in the studio. I still like the sound of my Orange alongside my Marshall JTM-45 Bluesbreaker together.

If I had to choose ONE guitar, I'd have to go with one of my '86 '54 Fender Esquire reissues. Even though one of my favorite guitars is my '66 Strat, the Esquires are the most versatile...

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:11 am

One amp and guitar is my vote.

Sure, I've got multiple amps and guitars, but that is because I'm still seeking my ideal setup.

As of right now, my main axe is a 61' SG reissue and an Orange AD140TC. I've got an OR120 too, which I love and play too, but at the moment I'm sticking with the AD140TC. Really, my tone stays in the same realm with any of the Oranges I've owned/played. For example, I've bounced from an OR50 to Rocker 30 to a Rockerverb 100, to OR120 then to the AD140, all with the SG. I set all of these amps up to sound basically the same, so I'd be happy with any of them, but I'm finding the AD140 is giving me what I want and accepting my pedal board the best too.

To be fair though, I've not gigged any of these amps. I don't play with a band now. So who knows how that would change with a live band and what it was comprised of.

I used to be a marshall guy. I toyed with 800's vintage moderns, and 900's, with my fav being the 800 2203 which I still own. Even with the marshalls, my sound and setup stays about the same with the SG.

I guess what comes to my mind when I plug into an amp with my SG, is the long run Tony Iommi has had with his SG's and Laney's. I'm heavily influenced by Sabbath inspired rock these days.

Nothing wrong with having variety, but nothing wrong with having a favorite setup to become one with either.

My idea is, if I do start a band and gig, I'm going to be seen and heard with one rig, as my music will be original and pretty specific to a certain sound and style.

If I was in a top 40 cover band, I'd probably still rock the SG, but I'd have a clean amp and a pedal board array.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Post by Neiloler » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:41 am

bclaire wrote:I'm the wrong guy to answer this, but I'd have to say multiple good guitars for different sounds- some songs need a different sound. Ditto amps- my main go-to amp has been my AD30TC combo, but that's not to say I would only use that if I were going in the studio. I still like the sound of my Orange alongside my Marshall JTM-45 Bluesbreaker together.

I've always felt like my signature sound could be better appreciated if I had multiple amps to accentuate it with. I always feel like I sound like me, for good or bad, through any amp or guitar, but having different amps causes ME to play differently, to react differently to differently to the response of them.

I'd like to have one great humbucker guitar, one great single coil guitar, and one great P90 guitar. Then I'd love to have 3 amps, one that does cleans great, one that does middle of the road gain, and one for heavier sounds.