Would you rather have.......

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

nlimbaugh
Orange Master

Re: Would you rather have.......

Post by nlimbaugh » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:41 am

With my lifestyle, I have to say get the least amount of gear. Buy the best you possibly can so your gear isn't an excuse for sounding bad. IMO, buy something used that has scratches, dings, etc. (aesthetic blemishes) - you'll pay less for a better guitar, etc. You want to play it, not collect it or worry about a scratch, right? Be impulsive when that special piece strikes you - buy it and don't look back. Otherwise, make what you have sound good... you are the most important piece of your sound (I guess that goes without saying). If you have no money but want to mess with your sound, try different picks. That's where I am - I've always played the same gear and I just now realized (go figure) how much that little piece of plastic impacts sound. I may only have one guitar, but I have eight different picks. Though, I only play one of them. :D

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:28 am

nlimbaugh wrote:If you have no money but want to mess with your sound, try different picks. That's where I am - I've always played the same gear and I just now realized (go figure) how much that little piece of plastic impacts sound. I may only have one guitar, but I have eight different picks. Though, I only play one of them. :D
That is a seriously good point. I only have one steel string acoustic and by using different guage picks I can get a much bigger variety of tones out of it.

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

wrath
Orange Hero

Post by wrath » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:43 am

Mrjones2004x wrote:Would you rather have a few regular guitars that play/sound mediocre or one main great guitar that isn't as versatile as 3 different ones but by far excels in overal tone/sound playability than all the others.???

Would you have multiple amps and with different sounds with a mediore sound or one amp with one impressive sound that only nails one sound perfect.

Doesn't matter how much money you have. Rules are you can't buy nothing new/used just trade your existing gear for better or more options

What would you do?

Personally I keep thinking of keeping my main axe my charvel and part ex/trade my other gear for a killer one amp/guitar setup.

What's your choice???? :evil:
if i must choose between those two options i would rather have one killer amp and guitar than a few mediocre.
Amplification: 70s OR120 Overdrive, Rockerverb 50 MKI, Rockerverb 100 MKII, PPC412
Axes: Tokai Love Rock LS-80, ESP LTD Viper 400
Synth: Novation Bass Station II

Colonel Sanders

Post by Colonel Sanders » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:37 pm

I am at this point in life where I can go back and buy all those toys I lusted for in my younger years.

I hate to choose so my vote goes for as many basses that do play well what they have to do. And as many amps as possible. Available space in the house allowing!

On my wanted list are still an original Gibson Thunderbird, an Ampeg Lucite and a vintage Musicman. As far as amps, I must say I am still kicking myself for selling a Blue Line SVT from the early 70ies for 600 bucks when running a power amp and a preamp became the in thing to do... So getting a vintage SVT along with a 8x10 is on the lust list.
Fender Precision 1969, Fender Jazz 1975, Rickenbacker 4003 1990 Jetglo, Rickenbacker 4001v63 1997 Fireglo, Rickenbacker 4003 2011 Mapleglo, Steinberger L2 1983, Orange AD200B mk3/OBC115, Eden WT550/410XLT.

not_again
Orange Expert

Post by not_again » Fri Feb 18, 2011 3:57 pm

One absolutely great guitar...( my 65 tele ) and one great amp ( my Carter ) and one great cab ( my Corksniffer )...and then some very decent mid priced gear to have as backup...which I am still fortunate the have.

There is no right or wrong answer here...each of us has different needs, styles and pocketbooks... :D
~mark~

...Just an old guy without a clue!