Which pedal tuner do you like best?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Aslan
Orange Master

Which pedal tuner do you like best?

Post by Aslan » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:17 am

I just ordered a ST-200 turbo tuner pedal, should get it with in the next 2 days. All the players on the gear page sing it's praises, I'll post a review as soon as I get it.

http://elderly.com/images/accessories/E ... _front.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

myboss57
Orange Master

Re: Which pedal tuner do you like best?

Post by myboss57 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:23 am

I use this one: http://www.amazon.com/Ibanez-LU20-Digit ... B00113A14K" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've had no issues whatsoever with it. I really wanted a pedal tuner and just couldn't see spending 80-100 bucks on the Boss tuner - when all I do is tune to drop d, so the tuner is just to check myself between songs and make sure all is still good. Works beautifully!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

GummiTZ
Tiny Terror

Post by GummiTZ » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:40 am

TC Electronic PolyTune is awesome. Has "strobe mode", and also lets you check all strings at once. Very precise as well.

Foef
Orange Master

Post by Foef » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:44 am

I'm using the Korg Pitchblack for a couple of years now.
Holds up to my expectations and beyond. Great tuner.
Very durable, large display and fast and accurate tuning. What else do you need?

Grtz, Bert.
Squier 15 (1988)
Mesa/Boogie F50 (2005)
Orange CR60C (2014)

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Factory/438445022903833
http://www.facebook.com/ODcoverband

jackincaves
Rocker

Post by jackincaves » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:58 am

+1 for the Korg Pitchblack.

I had a Digitech Hardwire tuner before that stopped working after just over a year (so was out of warranty) and Digitech's answer to this was 'buy a new one', which was nice! Needless to say, I had no intention of buying another Hardwire but the Korg's great.

The only downside to it is that you can't choose whether it mutes to tune or not. This isn't an issue for me but might be for some people.
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

ECWeagles
Orange Master

Post by ECWeagles » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:15 pm

Turbo Tuner is superb.

Very fast response times.

I had a Tu2 before then and I gues it was fine, but I really have comfort of accuracy with the Turbo Tuner.

I hear good things about the Pitch Black though.
Jeremy

Many guitars, many pedals.

"God is most glorified in us, when we are most satisfied in him." John Piper

Memmo

Post by Memmo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:26 pm

TU-2 has been on my pedalboard for over 10 years now

works just fine

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:50 pm

I have the Strobostomp 1 and I like alot. Especially after I recieved the upgrade kit for free from Peterson.
If I would have bought a new pedal tuner today I probably would have bought the Pitch black instead as the Strobostomp is very expensive, although it's a great tool for intonation.
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Belzebuth
Tiny Terror

Post by Belzebuth » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:59 pm

for accuracy: Peterson StroboStomp 2

quality/price: Korg Pitchblack (including anterior version DT-10)

never really liked the Boss tuner...
Rockerverb 50H Mk1 + PPC212
Godin Signature LGxt
Morley Wha
Xotic RC Booster
Carbon Copy

jangle
Orange Hero

Post by jangle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:49 pm

Peterson Strobostomp (Mk I)

Maybe it's the big boxy Conn strobe tuner I first saw many years ago but when I had a chance to get a (virtual) strobe tuner in stompbox form I jumped at the chance. Incredibly accurate and responsive along with that unmatched ability to visually represent just how far or close you are to the target pitch.

I did have to send it back to Peterson for a quick repair job (which they did for free including return shipping) and in a pinch I obtained a Boss TU-2 which was like moving from an F1 car back to an oxcart. Worst of all the TU-2 was so inaccurate that I resorted to tuning by ear until my Peterson returned.

I haven't even mentioned intonation - a job at which the Peterson excels at also.

I have a separate bass rig and I purchased one of the Planet Waves tuners (with the spinning ring) because it was going cheap. It is very accurate and performs well.

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:21 pm

I have a Planet Waves pedal, does everything, no complaints.
- Nathan

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:12 pm

Turbo Tuner. Unbelievably fast and accurate. Neil has a demo video of it somewhere on youtube.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:57 pm

Turbo Tuner.

But I have to say I like it a lot with bass guitar (very stable), and prefer something less accurate for guitar (even my VOS LP with wraparound bridge is 'hard' to tune with such an accurate tuner).
I play bass.

a.hun
Duke of Orange

Post by a.hun » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:39 pm

Strobostomp 2 here. Excellent, quick, stable, accurate. As are various others - I'd happily have the TC, or various others. But realistically most every modern tuner - even the Boss TU-2 - is accurate enough for stage use, if not always for more precise setup work. (Not that you really need a tuner for setting a guitar up - often it is easier and better just to trust your ears! :o)

Before the Peterson I had a cheap Korg which was pretty bad at locking onto notes. Before that I had an even cheaper no name one which worked fine but wasn't that sturdy. Did me fine for years both for gigs and in the studio before it died though.

For bass I still usually just use... an A440 tuning fork! The day I can't tune a properly set up bass from its properly tuned A string is the day I'll give up bass. :wink:

Andy.
aNDyH. :wink:

Ever tried to outstare a mirror?

In the bathtub of history the truth is harder to hold than the soap, and much more difficult to find!

nguideau
Orange Master

Post by nguideau » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:29 pm

a.hun wrote:(Not that you really need a tuner for setting a guitar up - often it is easier and better just to trust your ears! :o)
Amen to that! I don't even have the best ears, not by a longshot... but I find that when I am working on my guitars, I use the tuner to get me 95% of the way there, and then use my ears to fine tune. Because there are always those differences between what's mathematically perfect and what actually sounds the way you want it to sound. Especially with my Tele... IMO, if you try to get a three saddle piece bridge setup "tuner perfect" you'll end up bald or worse by the time you're finished with the setup.
- Nathan