I also need help picking out a guitar

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Re: I also need help picking out a guitar

Post by Secondhand Dan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:55 am

Randy Bass wrote:
Secondhand Dan wrote:anybody else have any ideas?
I have more ideas if no one else does :D !

Have you tried the Gretsch Double Jet (G5248T)? It's chambered, but without F-holes. I like the Goldtop.
I tried one a long time ago, and I recall liking it. But that had to be maybe 2 years ago so I have to give it another go. Thanks for continuing to help haha.
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:00 am

I'm not sure why I keep suggesting symmetrical double-cutaways, but that seems to be a good counterpart for your Tele. Do you have any preference on the type of pickups you want? That might help to narrow things down a bit.

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:08 am

Randy Bass wrote:I'm not sure why I keep suggesting symmetrical double-cutaways, but that seems to be a good counterpart for your Tele. Do you have any preference on the type of pickups you want? That might help to narrow things down a bit.
I know I don't want a straight up single coil guitar. I have always enjoyed the idea of having a P-90 guitar, and like the toaster type pickups. not sure I'd really want a straight humbucker guitar. That's not to say that a sheraton with p-94s is totally out of the question :idea:
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:51 pm

pweese hurp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2dtAi5Za-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sat Feb 12, 2011 1:40 am

Secondhand Dan wrote:pweese hurp?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2dtAi5Za-s" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Uhhh..don't buy a guitar made in Asia, I guess :D .

Gibson has a lot of choices now with P-90s, so you might hit some stores and see what you can find. I don't know if any of their semi-hollows would work with your budget, but they have some sweet LPs with P90s and the 60's Tribute SGs too.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:50 am

dude, there's a page and a half of great suggestions. go hit some guitar shops and test drive a couple pieces, see what you like.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:41 am

chinese fork tie wrote:

dude, there's a page and a half of great suggestions. go hit some guitar shops and test drive a couple pieces, see what you like.
My problem is that its busy season for me so I don't have a lot of time to go to guitar stores while they are still open. It's really a sad story.

I did get a chance to go out today and play some stuff. I played a gretsch synchromatic bolt on neck style cheap-o and it was pretty fun. I then tried a thinline tele and it sounded pretty muddy for my tastes. I know some people switch out the pots in them to make it sounds less muddy, but I'd like to pick something that doesn't require too much initial maintenance to make it sound good. I also tried out a 1962 Gretsch Tennesseean that I would have bought on the spot because of how great it sounded except the binding was literally falling off and the electronics seemed a bit shot. Does anyone know how much it costs to get binding restored cuz that would make it a pretty compelling option?

Anyways, I am looking for as many ideas as possible before I head out to the stores because I don't have that much free time while stores are actually open.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:50 pm

The Fender Tele Deluxe Black Dove is pretty dope if you like P-90s and Strat necks with the big 'ol headstock. They have the version with Wide Range Humbuckers too, which I would imagine have little in the way of midrange output, so they're probably not that muddy for buckers.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:40 pm

Secondhand Dan wrote:
chinese fork tie wrote:
My problem is that its busy season for me so I don't have a lot of time to go to guitar stores while they are still open. It's really a sad story.

I did get a chance to go out today and play some stuff. I played a gretsch synchromatic bolt on neck style cheap-o and it was pretty fun. I then tried a thinline tele and it sounded pretty muddy for my tastes. I know some people switch out the pots in them to make it sounds less muddy, but I'd like to pick something that doesn't require too much initial maintenance to make it sound good. I also tried out a 1962 Gretsch Tennesseean that I would have bought on the spot because of how great it sounded except the binding was literally falling off and the electronics seemed a bit shot. Does anyone know how much it costs to get binding restored cuz that would make it a pretty compelling option?

Anyways, I am looking for as many ideas as possible before I head out to the stores because I don't have that much free time while stores are actually open.
believe me, all the suggestions in the world won't compare to getting out there and playing some guitars. if it's busy season for you, start shopping after that wraps up and consider the guitar a present for making it through without losing yr mind. we can only make an educated guess at what types of guitars you'll like, and you might get out to test drive some of these suggestions and find that you don't like any of them or that you have too many suggestions and are completely overwhelmed with options.

that said, if you're looking at teles i can't tell you enough how much better G&L guitars are. much more bang for the buck, especially after the great fender price hike of '08. i'd definitely look and see if any shops in yr area stock G&L, you'll be blown away. believe me, i was surprised an indonesian guitar would have such high quality, but my ASAT puts to shame probably 90% of the american teles i've played in the last couple years. their american made ones are even nicer, on par with fender custom shop pieces if not better.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?