I also need help picking out a guitar

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

I also need help picking out a guitar

Post by Secondhand Dan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:42 pm

Hey evrybody, I haven't been around for a while, but it's good to be back. Good to see some familiar faces around here.

Anyways, I am officially no longer a student, and with paychecks comes the need to reward myself with a new guitar. I have a max budget of around 2k and have been looking at some hollowbodys like used Gretsch Country Classics and others. I am not set on a hollow, but I think it may be a good idea. You can hear my style of music in my band link below, I do a lot of the rhythm stuff and most of the solos for reference.

Please feel free to throw some ideas out there, hollow body or not, I have been out of the guitar market for a while so I am pretty out of the loop.
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Re: I also need help picking out a guitar

Post by Orphin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:51 pm

Hw about a Steinberger or a Parker Fly. :lol:
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:07 pm

You could do worse than picking up a 2nd hand vigier.

Fantastic guitars, totally reengineered. Not semi hollow though.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:11 pm

How about one of these?:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SDC55TR/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They do have semi-hollow versions too, but this one looks the best to me.

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Randy Bass wrote:How about one of these?:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SDC55TR/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They do have semi-hollow versions too, but this one looks the best to me.
Randy, whipping out the crazy stuff! Those are pretty cool looking. I remember reading about those pickups when they came out 2 years ago? I need to add those to my list of possibilities.

Thanks Randy!
'65 Guild Starfire III--Custom 52 HR Tele--Custom Hollow Strat--BYOC Phaser--ZVex Box of Rock--EB VP Jr--Oler ABY--Malekko 616--Tech 21 Boost RVB--AD30r--Orange TT

sidvicious
Orange Master

Post by sidvicious » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:50 pm

about the vox guitars, i seriously considered one but several dealers said "no", that they weren't up to par yet.

i will continue to suggest taking a look at carvin. the quality is top notch, and compared to the price, it is very hard to beat. surf their site and play with the guitar builder. i currently have two in my stable, a semi-hollow 550b [bigsby whammy] and a ct624 [solid body strat style body but neck through]. i have another 550b on the way. check'em out.
Orange TV50
Orange Rockerverb MkII 2x12 Combo
Orange DT
Orange AD5
Orange PPC212

Vox AC50
Vox AC30
Vox AC4
2 Vox NT's
Marshall TlS 100
Marshall JCM800
Marshall slant
Mesa TA
60's Silverface Fender Twin
65 F SuperVerb
Bunch of others.

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:15 pm

Since Gibson moved away from Kalamazoo, their workers who bought the factory and formed Heritage Guitars, they have focused on semi-hollow and hollow body guitars. I have one and it is incredible. Half the price and double the quality of Gibson.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:25 pm

You could just get a Hagstrom Viking and save some cash. Super nice guitars if you like thin necks. I sold mine just because I didn't need it, but I had zero complaints about that guitar. Build quality was up there with the best. The tuners were lame though. It looked so cool.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:52 pm

if you're looking at gretsch, i'd say look into used rickerbackers too. you can usually get a good price on them, and nothing beats that ric sound.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:55 pm

baytamusic wrote:You could just get a Hagstrom Viking and save some cash. Super nice guitars if you like thin necks. I sold mine just because I didn't need it, but I had zero complaints about that guitar. Build quality was up there with the best. The tuners were lame though. It looked so cool.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not that big of a fan of thin necks, I am used to the thicker style neck on my tele.

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:58 pm

Secondhand Dan wrote:
baytamusic wrote:You could just get a Hagstrom Viking and save some cash. Super nice guitars if you like thin necks. I sold mine just because I didn't need it, but I had zero complaints about that guitar. Build quality was up there with the best. The tuners were lame though. It looked so cool.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am not that big of a fan of thin necks, I am used to the thicker style neck on my tele.
Thick neck on a Tele? Those aren't thick at all. Is it a 50s style neck, those are sort of thick? Not really though. haha, ever played a Gibson 50s style, now that's a thick neck.

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:07 pm

baytamusic wrote:
Secondhand Dan wrote:

Thick neck on a Tele? Those aren't thick at all. Is it a 50s style neck, those are sort of thick? Not really though. haha, ever played a Gibson 50s style, now that's a thick neck.
I built my tele from parts and used a thicker 52 style neck. I am comparing that thickness to the wide thin neck on my old gibson LP special. Thats my only good reference I guess

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:10 pm

Word. Well, yeah those Hagstroms have really thin necks so probably not your thing.

Secondhand Dan
Orange Master

Post by Secondhand Dan » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:43 am

anybody else have any ideas?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Fri Feb 11, 2011 3:53 am

Secondhand Dan wrote:anybody else have any ideas?
I have more ideas if no one else does :D !

Have you tried the Gretsch Double Jet (G5248T)? It's chambered, but without F-holes. I like the Goldtop.