someone wants to swap my bfg for a r30 combo?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

someone wants to swap my bfg for a r30 combo?

Post by Mrjones2004x » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:19 pm

Someone wants to straight swap my BFG for an Rocker 30 combo 1x12. Is it worth considering?

They say its brand new condition and the pics look good to me but ob wouldnt know unless i see it.

Thinking of swapping my ibanez for a tele as you guys talked me into one about a year ago and ive always fancied one so it would be a great pairing i guess.

Any comments??
Tone is everything

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Re: someone wants to swap my bfg for a r30 combo?

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:03 pm

It sounds like it could be a fair trade, but I really like your BFG. Do you think that the Rocker 30 would be useful to you at home and/or would you get rid of your other amp(s)?

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:12 pm

I'd trade your Ibanez for a Tele, but not too sure about the LP for a Rocker. Here's why; I play a Strat and a LP Special with P90s in a Princeton reverb and I feel like that covers a lot of ground. Strat/PRRI = clean, bells, chimey,...
The LP/Princeton combo reminded me instantly of Foo Fighters. I love the tone with both guitars so much I haven't used distortion or any other effect besides the built in reverb/tremolo in 8 months, and I'm confident a pedal can get me anywhere when I wish.

But, if you really dig the Rockers distortion and don't feel like you need 2 guitars it might be the way to go. Personally I prefer Orange amps with single coil guitars like tele's and not so much with humbuckers.
I play bass.

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Never thought about a R30 before. I hear its excellent.
I wouldnt get rid of my other amp as its great for the hairmetal sounds i like to play. Its quite compressed so good for that stuff. Ive almost nailed the sound i want so not complaining about that amp. Think the only amp i want to replace it is a rv50 combo as the impression i get its perfect for the sound i want at higher volumes. Think my sound will be 99% of the way there once my floyd upgrades turn up (Big block, d-tuna,trem stop and better springs.)
The classic crunch sound is obviously a wicked sound which every amp trys to get and i hear the r30 nails it pretty much hands down. The blackstar imo doesnt do a good crunch because of being compressed and a bit more modern sounding where as the r30 is vintagey sounding.

Ive now got my high gain rig for home and would like another great sound/setup.

I do love the LP, ive been playing it since i asked about in a post whether to get rid of. Feels like hard work to play it compared to my charvel. love the rhythem sound but not the lead compared to the charvel. Yeah i like guns and roses (Dont shoot me :P ) but i wanna start my own sound. sort of vintage heavy rock. warm and thick. Will still love the 80s hairmetal to play but not as a band, wanna develope myself to play stuff people would listen to now. 80s hairmetal aint big these days with the general public with all the solos and chorus sounds seems to be people like the rawer sound
Tone is everything

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:00 pm

But I do like the bfg :roll:

Think a tele would be cool, not sure what's a good one tho
Tone is everything

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:11 pm

I think it'd be a loosing trade on your side, considering you're in the uk.

Quite a gamble to get rid off a good guitar for an amp you haven't tried too.

The r30 is decent, but not everyone's cup of tea...

Just something to think about!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:22 pm

I love the Rocker 30 more than Marshall JCM800s, JMPs, and Super Lead Plexis and I have owned all of them except the JMP and my bandmate has one. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the amp. It's just got that classic overdrive sound with the signature Orange lower mid hump. Nice and smooth sounding. I don't know about the combo though. Never played one. On a fair trade scale I don't really know. I guess just check completed ebay listings for both and see where you are. Maybe he'll need to throw in some cash?!

Blainy
Orange Master

Post by Blainy » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:41 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:I think it'd be a loosing trade on your side, considering you're in the uk.

Quite a gamble to get rid off a good guitar for an amp you haven't tried too.

The r30 is decent, but not everyone's cup of tea...

Just something to think about!
Should be anyone with a Les Paul's cup of tea! I never played a BFG through my Rocker, but I reckon you should keep the BFG but get the Rocker. It will sound awesome, I think.

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:52 pm

Think he now knows what a bfg looks like after emailed pics. Think he's off the idea already lol .
Ohwell never mind.
Still keep the dream of an rv50 :D
Maybe I'll save but I really don't do saving well. :(

Whilst on the subject, how does the rv do low volume? Like tv volume? The blackstar is good at that just wondered as I heard it has a great attenuater/master volume

Thanks
Tone is everything

Mrjones2004x
Orange Master

Post by Mrjones2004x » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:53 pm

Think he now knows what a bfg looks like after emailed pics. Think he's off the idea already lol .
Ohwell never mind.
Still keep the dream of an rv50 :D
Maybe I'll save but I really don't do saving well. :(

Whilst on the subject, how does the rv do low volume? Like tv volume? The blackstar is good at that just wondered as I heard it has a great attenuater/master volume

Thanks
Tone is everything

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:54 pm

baytamusic wrote:I love the Rocker 30 more than Marshall JCM800s, JMPs, and Super Lead Plexis and I have owned all of them except the JMP and my bandmate has one. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the amp. It's just got that classic overdrive sound with the signature Orange lower mid hump. Nice and smooth sounding. I don't know about the combo though. Never played one. On a fair trade scale I don't really know. I guess just check completed ebay listings for both and see where you are. Maybe he'll need to throw in some cash?!

i have the r30 combo and i would trade it for a jmp or plexi in a heartbeat
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Van Cleef wrote:
baytamusic wrote:I love the Rocker 30 more than Marshall JCM800s, JMPs, and Super Lead Plexis and I have owned all of them except the JMP and my bandmate has one. I don't think you'll be disappointed in the amp. It's just got that classic overdrive sound with the signature Orange lower mid hump. Nice and smooth sounding. I don't know about the combo though. Never played one. On a fair trade scale I don't really know. I guess just check completed ebay listings for both and see where you are. Maybe he'll need to throw in some cash?!

i have the r30 combo and i would trade it for a jmp or plexi in a heartbeat
I'm not talking about value. I would too, haha. But man, I don't know, I like the sound of the Rocker better. I like the Marshalls too. I had a Plexi reissue which I like the sound better than my bandmates JMP.

I do like the 100w Marshalls with two tubes pulled better than the 50 watters. A little more beef in the low end IMO.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:08 am

i'd like one of the early reissues before they put an fx loop in etc

i should perhaps try a rocker 30 head with a 4x12 cab - because compared to my jcm the r30 combo is boxy and fizzy... i can make it sound good with pedals and i LOVE the natural channel

i think i'd probably like an OR80 or something - i have a feeling that would be my kind of orange
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:16 am

id make the swap in a heartbeat.
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:19 am

Van Cleef wrote:i'd like one of the early reissues before they put an fx loop in etc

i should perhaps try a rocker 30 head with a 4x12 cab - because compared to my jcm the r30 combo is boxy and fizzy... i can make it sound good with pedals and i LOVE the natural channel

i think i'd probably like an OR80 or something - i have a feeling that would be my kind of orange
Get a matamp instead, GTL or GT1. Has everthing from OR to... plexi crunch(bit darker) to... whatever you want!
The Rocker30 sounds not so good in a combo. I have the combo and it sounds so much better with my 2x12 it's insane.
You should really try it with a decent cab!
accept darkness.