Post by jpish0t » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:26 am

agree?
Thunder 30
Dual Terror
Fender hot rod deluxe
roger linn adrenalynn 3
maxon compressor
mxr: evh 90, micro chrous, 10 band eq, line driver, carbon copy, wah
fender black out telecaster, prs zach myers signature, esp dan jacobs signature, schecter hellraiser

Neiloler
Lord of Orange

Re: WAAY TOO MANY OVERDRIVE PEDALS!

Post by Neiloler » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:44 am

It depends I guess. Depends on how many pedals is generally too much for you, the flavor of overdrives you like/use, the purpose of the pedal (light distortion from the pedal itself or using it to actually make good on the name and overdrive the amp), etc? ;)

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Maybe your just looking at too many!

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:26 pm

variety is the spice......well you know

The more pedals that are made the freaking better. How lame would it be if we were all using Boss SD1's? :lol:

You don't have to buy too many of them. I agree it may be hard finding the right one with so many to choose from. But, if you're buying loads of overdrive pedals all the time, maybe you're not happy with your amp. I play Orange and Marshall exclusively for my drive sounds, and I only boost them with clean boosts. I couldn't be happier with this way.

The way I sift through all of the pedals available, is affordability, tone, and simplicity, in that order. I look for what will give me what I need with the fewest knobs. Other options will narrow them down too, like if you want true bypass, etc.

I've settled on 2 drive pedals. 1. mxr microamp 2. fulltone bass drive non mosfet (don't make these anymore)

These pedals are all I need to enhance the great tone my amps already have. very little coloring present.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:31 pm

Are you better off with several pedals that do one or two tones really well, or one pedal that does a mediocre job on several tones? I'm not a pedal guy, but really good is always better than mediocre.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:01 pm

Iron- I love fulltone, too! I have a Fulltone Bass 2 and you can switch back and forth between the FET and MOSFET sections as well as engage or disengage the compression. I usually keep it in Comp-cut and MOSFET since it is a much more open sound that way and I use only about 25% overdrive. It's like magic running that into the AD200. If I were to add any more pedals, it would be an Aguilar Octamizer and possibly a really crazy fuzz pedal like WMD GC Civilian or similar.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:01 pm

I don't know, I think I have the perfect amount of overdrive pedals on my board.... 0.
Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:02 pm

its great that there are so many options but i agree it can be daunting to go hunting for the right one.

i think thought that if you have a point of reference for what sound you want it makes it a lot easier

a big thing to consider is whether you're looking for fuzz or distortion. take the time to really think about it
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:35 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:I don't know, I think I have the perfect amount of overdrive pedals on my board.... 0.
yeah, i've never found a need for a tubescreamer or a full drive or any of the other millions of overdrives out there. i would like to try the DBA interstellar overdriver supreme, but more for the weird settings it has than the overdrive on it. and i would like to try the crowther hot cake, but that's just cuz i have another one of their pedals that i LOVE, and when i switch up to my two amp setup, i will want some type of lighter disto box to go in front of my orange. even then, i'm not sure i'd go with either, as i've already found a drive tone i like without swapping out any pedals on my board. i can just turn the sustain down to ~9 o'clock on my big muff, vol cranked and the tone ~1 o'clock, and it sounds perfect for what i need it for. honestly, i can't say enough good things about the big muff. i use mine for everything from a light boost to over the top fuzz and it sounds great for all settings.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:54 pm

Rat pedals are pretty bad ass for leads. I have an old one but it's broke.

tadaitstyler
Orange Hero

Post by tadaitstyler » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:33 am

Thinline_slim wrote:I don't know, I think I have the perfect amount of overdrive pedals on my board.... 0.
I have 1, but I've got eyes on 4 or so more. =)

Y0UNGBL00D
Orange Master

Post by Y0UNGBL00D » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:43 am

ironlung40 wrote:variety is the spice......well you know

The more pedals that are made the freaking better. How lame would it be if we were all using Boss SD1's? :lol:

You don't have to buy too many of them. I agree it may be hard finding the right one with so many to choose from. But, if you're buying loads of overdrive pedals all the time, maybe you're not happy with your amp. I play Orange and Marshall exclusively for my drive sounds, and I only boost them with clean boosts. I couldn't be happier with this way.

The way I sift through all of the pedals available, is affordability, tone, and simplicity, in that order. I look for what will give me what I need with the fewest knobs. Other options will narrow them down too, like if you want true bypass, etc.

I've settled on 2 drive pedals. 1. mxr microamp 2. fulltone bass drive non mosfet (don't make these anymore)

These pedals are all I need to enhance the great tone my amps already have. very little coloring present.
it is funny that how over the few years of having my TV50 i went from having a couple of ODs, a distortion or two, couple of fuzzes, couple of boosts, etc., to....a boost in front, a boost in the loop, and the occasional fuzz factory (only recently readded to my board. goaddamn i love/hate that thing)
Thunderverb 50,
modded SG, pedals, shiner bock.

CD9266
Orange Master

Post by CD9266 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:18 pm

Maybe I'm biased but I think my RV50's OD channel eats OD pedals for breakfast.
http://www.reverbnation.com/coreydiller" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sunset Justice - Now on iTunes!

StonieSlagg
Rocker

Post by StonieSlagg » Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:41 pm

i use my DT for 90% of my dirt but that other 10% of the time it just won't do what's in my head.
that's what my 5 dirt boxes are for...

Everyone tells me they're crazy. Well crazy people aren't so f**king boring. So wake me when you're through being cool, cause I'm snoring...

Ohara
Orange Master

Post by Ohara » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:52 pm

I like having one or two overdrive pedals on hand when performing for the night. I find it gives more variety to your sounds throughout the night so they don't seem stale. I love the sound of amps all by themselves, but at the same time being able to give it a different texture halfway through the solo for an added dimension is nice. I do find that alot of companies offer the same pedal with a different name on them though (copies of popular ones). So I do agree with you original statement of way too many overdrive pedals, in the fact that there are way too many of the same pedal. I also like using them (when needed not all the time).
Just call me Ken

proud member #81 of the Tiny Terror Club
proud owner of Rocker 30 combo in white