TH30 Combo, Need more clean headroom

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

addisj
Tiny Terror

TH30 Combo, Need more clean headroom

Post by addisj » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:31 am

The dirty channel is great at all volume levels, but the clean channel breaks up far too early. Literally at around 10 o clock which is no good for when I am in the studio or when I come to gig it which is very soon. I need the clean channel to be clean!

I am thinking of ordering some Tung Sol 12AX7's to replace the 4 pre amp tubes to give me more clean headroom.

1st question: If I do this will it effect the gain channel? (Sorry I havent swapped out tubes before I am a n00b in this dept)

2nd question: Is the above a good tube choice to give me much later breakup and also keep a sweet tone? I love the current clean tone (at low volume levels).

Thanks

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: TH30 Combo, Need more clean headroom

Post by Jondog » Wed Feb 09, 2011 12:52 pm

TH100??

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:19 pm

This combination of tubes was suggested to me for more clean headroom and more continuity (tonewise) between channels. i'm not a technical guy, so i don't know why they work, they just do (to my ear):

4 JJ El84's
2 Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG+'s
2 Ruby 12AX7AC5 HG's
1 Penta Labs 12AT7
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

addisj
Tiny Terror

Post by addisj » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:58 pm

Thanks Bavaro, have you tried this combination?
Who recommended this to you by the way?

I am just wondering as it's going to cost a fair wedge so I want to make sure I am doingthe right thing

tony_clifton
Orange Master

Post by tony_clifton » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:09 pm

12AX7s have gain factor 100. 12AT7s have 60 (less gain) and 12AY7s even less (30?) - you should be looking for 12AT or AY7s in the slot for the clean channel. The distortion channel won't be affected by this.

By doing this you are gonna be able to turn up the volume knob a little more, but in terms of decibels I don't think you will be much louder. I guess the power tubes are the first ones to distort anyway.
I play bass.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:29 pm

addisj wrote:Thanks Bavaro, have you tried this combination?

I am just wondering as it's going to cost a fair wedge so I want to make sure I am doing the right thing
i actually have this combination in my amp right now. i think it really opened the clean channel up, and the breakup starts around 12:30 for me, but never gets to be too much. all in all, cost about $110. the shop i got my head from suggested and installed the tubes for an extra $80.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Wed Feb 09, 2011 8:00 pm

A more efficient speaker may also help to increase perceived headroom.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:45 pm

first you gotta realize you bought an orange, not a fender. your "cleans" aren't always gonna be pristine, no matter how many watts you have. (but especially 30 watts)

if you can live with that, then tube changes, more efficient speakers, etc. will only make a minimal difference, and might be the way to go. if you want pristine cleans at volume comparable to yoru dirty chanel, the best option would be to use a different amp, honestly.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:57 am

jason41224 wrote:first you gotta realize you bought an orange, not a fender. your "cleans" aren't always gonna be pristine, no matter how many watts you have. (but especially 30 watts)

if you can live with that, then tube changes, more efficient speakers, etc. will only make a minimal difference, and might be the way to go. if you want pristine cleans at volume comparable to yoru dirty chanel, the best option would be to use a different amp, honestly.
+1. i guess i should clarify, my tube compliment has given me a lot of clean for an Orange, but like jason's saying... if you're looking for pristine, you're with the wrong amp.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:37 am

You could try cranking the Master Volume on the Dirty Channel to see if it gives you louder cleans than the Clean Channel. It works with the Rocker 30.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:20 am

this is also true. although not practical for live applications unless he used a pedal.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:27 am

bavaro wrote:

I am just wondering as it's going to cost a fair wedge so I want to make sure I am doing the right thing
i actually have this combination in my amp right now. i think it really opened the clean channel up, and the breakup starts around 12:30 for me, but never gets to be too much. all in all, cost about $110. the shop i got my head from suggested and installed the tubes for an extra $80.
Are you saying you paid $80 to have the tubes installed in your TH30? The amp is cathode biased... all you have to do it.. put them in?

addisj
Tiny Terror

Post by addisj » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:51 am

It's funny you say that about a Fender as I have gone from a Fender to the Orange.

The thing is, I actually prefer the clean on my Orange to my Fender - up to 9 o clock on the volume dial that is.

But If you are saying that all Orange amps will break up early then I guess I will just have to live with it.

2 of the songs in the band go from modern dirty to pristine clean so I need to use both channels and now that I have the Orange I no longer need my Distortion pedal.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:22 am

You can put a 12at7, or two, in the clean channel preamp spot(s) and also buy late breakup el84s from doug's tubes.

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:20 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:
bavaro wrote:

Are you saying you paid $80 to have the tubes installed in your TH30? The amp is cathode biased... all you have to do it.. put them in?

hahah, no i paid $80 for the tubes themselves. they actually ended up putting them in for me, but didn't charge anything. ya, definitely not paying to have tubes dropped in an amp that doesn't need biasing. :lol:
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen