What made you fall in love with Orange?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TESLA_EL34
Orange Master

Re: What made you fall in love with Orange?

Post by TESLA_EL34 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 4:50 am

I own a matamp and they made me a total tone snob. Assholes!
By the way, the Wishbone Ash tone is a GT120, not any of the current Orange Amps.
There opens a new shop in the states soon. You should check that out!

Well, i bought the Rocker30 because i needed an amp for the smaller gigs.
I mean the ones where the PA is kinda... weak. In fact, most smaller gigs have
a really shitty PA. I know in some places, it's useless to bring my Mat.
The MV on the R30 is great.

With the orange i get a very good overdrive tone on the dirty channel.
I use a minimum setup with a tuner,volume, boost and a delay pedal with it.
While i really hate how the amp takes the pedals, i like how you can get a good tone
on a smaller stage. That's not the case with othre amps i've played.
The good thing is, i don't need a distortion pedal with it.
I'm not the worst player in the world i know how to get different tones and how
you can shine with a simple amp. I really don't use the natural channel at all!

I think, while the new orange is another company nowdays..
they did a good job with the loudness! It's useless to own that superloud amps.
Even if they allow you to turn it up, most vocal PA's can't compete.
And i hate attenuators. Really. It degrades the tone too much.
accept darkness.

Citrus Monolith

Post by Citrus Monolith » Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:30 am

Wata from Boris. The image of her and this towering Orange behemoth was really striking. The simplicity was also intriguing. I don't like having a million things to fiddle around with on an amp.

zepfan

Post by zepfan » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:18 am

It was the tone and color ( black Orange ) of the one that Jimmy Page used in ''It might get loud''... I was blown away :shock:

dbsens03
Rocker

Post by dbsens03 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:47 pm

DylanWalters wrote:I must say that the RV series is really 'my amp' and exactly what I look for in an amp.

+1 on that!!!

Not even 2 weeks ago I was driving home from work. I decided I'd stop by a local guitar shop that carries all boutique amps. I had never played on or heard an Orange in person before but I had read some good things about the new RV MKII's. Previous I've played most Mesa's. A Triple Rec and a Roadster. The Roadster was an amp I had wanted for a long time due to it's sparkling cleans and lone star esque reverb. But I never really fell in love with that amp. The second I plugged the Les Paul at the store into the Rockerverb 100 I knew she had to come home with me. The sales manager quoted me a price, and it was a great deal. I went out to my car, had a quick smoke, then went back and asked what it'd run with the ppc412. That was the best purchase I think I've ever made. Orange is my tone! And it does sound real nice next to my buddies Triple Rec.
"Music is worthless unless it can make a complete stranger break down and cry."
"There are only two kinds of music; music that sounds good, and whatever you want to call that other stuff."

venusandeve
Tiny Terror

Post by venusandeve » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:41 pm

i own a tv50. it started with wanting an amp which gave me an expensive sounding crunch right off the bat, a real amp which sounded good at any volume and it ends with me blasting away without using the attenuator at all, with the master volume set to 14:00. how can i explain the awesomeness of an amp that has a million different sounds based on where the master volume is? i didn't try 100s of amps but i did try a rectifier in a store. rectos do awesome things, but you really need to spend some serious time and it won't sound awesome on all settings. my thunderverb? it doesn't matter. one setting's more metal than the other, but no single setting is ever weak. while not exactly pedal friendly, slight smidgens of fx will yield enormous changes in tone.

it's the amp that sounds like a whole band.
Music Man Steve Morse Y2D in C standard with EMGs (85/sa/60)
Music Man Petrucci 7 String w/ Crunchlab & Liquifire
Gibson LP Std in standard tuning w/ emg Hetfield set
Dean 30th Anniv. V. stock
Orange Thunderverb 50 into Kool&Elfring 4x12XL /w v30s

SlovakZombieHero
Tiny Terror

Post by SlovakZombieHero » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:43 pm

The first time I saw/heard an Orange was by listening to The Pillows early in high school, and I knew I needed to have one, so I saved up and bought a used AD30HTC, and absolutely fell in love with it. My taste in music has changed dramatically since then, but even now most of my favorite bands/ players play Oranges (Boris, Kylesa, Torche, etc.). I've never been as satisfied playing through any other brand amps. The only problem is that I always want more. :lol:
Orange/ ESP nerd.

StonieSlagg
Rocker

Post by StonieSlagg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:04 pm

woohoo!
my thread got tweeted!!

Everyone tells me they're crazy. Well crazy people aren't so f**king boring. So wake me when you're through being cool, cause I'm snoring...

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:45 pm

StonieSlagg wrote:woohoo!
my thread got tweeted!!
What is tweeted :D ?

It appears that the thread has been "edited" a bit, probably for that reason.

gaines
Orange Hero

Post by gaines » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:32 pm

I can tell you that the first time I had ever seen an Orange was inside of the Weezer Blue album cover. Their bass player had one. I thought it was so cool looking but pretty much forgot about it for years. I then graduated college and got my first job and started looking at them on ebay on a whim...saw how expensive I thought they were and that actually made me want to hear one more than anything..then The Mars Volta had a concert on Concert T.V. and Omar was using two Orange AD140 half stacks. I literally knew I was going to buy an AD140 after that.

I saved and found a dealer near by that had Oranges as most of the dealers at the time didn't carry them. I bought the 4x12 cab first then about a month later I bought the AD140.

I started the band that I'm currently in and realized the 140 was too much for the small places we were playing at the time. I bought an Egnater Rebel 20 and thought it was great but missed my signature Orange sound. I waited for tax return time and bought an AD30 combo which is my main amp to this day.

Even though I don't use the 140 with matching 4x12 cab I'll never sell it. Might want it down the road but even if I don't, I'll never get rid of it. That amp is what started my serious playing and reminds me of a time in my life when I was a younger man, still living at home and pissing my parents off with loud ass guitar.
F*ck it, buy everything

StonieSlagg
Rocker

Post by StonieSlagg » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:58 pm

Randy Bass wrote:
StonieSlagg wrote:woohoo!
my thread got tweeted!!
What is tweeted :D ?

It appears that the thread has been "edited" a bit, probably for that reason.

Orange posted a link on twitter...

Everyone tells me they're crazy. Well crazy people aren't so f**king boring. So wake me when you're through being cool, cause I'm snoring...

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:22 pm

I think one day I found out the lower-mid growl of an Orange is exactly what I've been trying to make marshalls do for years by scooping the mids slightly and pumping up the bass. But it never got where I wanted to be.

Then I heard an Orange and it was just like OH SNAP there it is!

The looks are just a bonus. ;)