boss rv-3 vs boss rv-5

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mavrick12x
Tiny Terror

boss rv-3 vs boss rv-5

Post by mavrick12x » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:27 pm

hey everyone its been a while since i've posted on here. im looking to add to the family of pedals and im thinking of getting either the boss rv-3 or rv-5.. who here has used both? im leaning towards the rv-5 because i dont need another delay having the timefactor and a carbon copy already.. also im working into a post/rock sound. lots of ambient sounds and such...

let list some pros cons here please... thanks
(USA) Fender Telecaster (Highway One)
Boss TU-2>Catalinbread DLS>Boss TR-2>MXR Carbon Copy>Eventide TimeFactor>Strymon BlueSky
MKII RV50 2x12 Combo BLACK TOLEX
Marshall Lead 900 Cabinet
Vox AC15C1

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Re: boss rv-3 vs boss rv-5

Post by chinese fork tie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:54 pm

get a spingtank. failing that, the ehx cathedral is supposed to be amazing. i honestly just prefer to look and tone of ehx pedals immensely to boss ones. boss stuff is too sterile/digital sounding for my taste.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:59 pm

I own the EHX Holy Grail plus myself. I use it more than the amp reverb on my Rockerverb. Obviously, due to it being much more "tweakable" than the amp.
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:07 pm

I never had the rv-3. I owned the rv-5 and if reverb is all you need it'll do that great. I ran mine through my efx loop and it was very transparent and very convincing. The spring reverb sound was one of the better spring reverb simulations I heard (nothing beats the real thing). I got rid of it because I purchased a line 6 M9 for all my effects loop based effects, it has lots of good reverbs/delays on it too. Plus now I have an RV50 which has a wicked reverb on it.

mavrick12x
Tiny Terror

Post by mavrick12x » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:14 pm

I currently run through an mkII RV50. I plan on expanding to an vox ac15 for stereo effects. That's why I'm leaning towards the RV-5 and partially because the boss pedals have such a small footprint on the board.
Boss TU-2>Catalinbread DLS>Boss TR-2>MXR Carbon Copy>Eventide TimeFactor>Strymon BlueSky
Vox AC15C1

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:20 pm

http://www.ehx.com/products/cathedral" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stereo reverb. and i'm pretty sure it runs about $50 less than the boss. has cooler features too, like the note freeze.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:22 pm

chinese fork tie wrote:http://www.ehx.com/products/cathedral

stereo reverb. and i'm pretty sure it runs about $50 less than the boss. has cooler features too, like the note freeze.
scratch that, it's a little more than the boss. but so many more features. i think it's an immensely cooler pedal.

mavrick12x
Tiny Terror

Post by mavrick12x » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:33 pm

One of the guys I play with has one. I do like it I maybe going down that road but also want to use something small too
Vox AC15C1

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:35 pm

I use a Malekko chicklet, and I like it a lot. It's pretty simple, but sounds great and if you're looking for small it can't be beat.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Just get the M9 and get rid of your delay, mod, filter and reverb pedals and have something that only takes up the space of 3-4 pedals and have heaps of great sounding stereo effects with alot less cables. The distortions are lack lustre, but fun to play with sometimes.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:11 am

If your looking for reverb, try the Fender Reverb pedal from Boss. I like it a lot more than the RV series, its a little more natural sounding. It DOES flaten out the tone a bit, but I still enjoy it.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:50 am

the correct answer is neither

the rv3 is overrated rubbish - i spent a month trying to get something good going with it but it just didn't sound that great - - -

check out the muza fd90 - though you might find that one of your other delays will be redundant....

10 delays, 11 verbs, 4 programmable presets, stereo in and out - 12 second looper and tap tempo... it's my bloody valentine in a stompbox - and it self-oscillates like mad - and it's under $100 :)

second best pedal ever made in my opinion
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

defrag
Orange Expert

Post by defrag » Mon Feb 07, 2011 3:35 pm

The RV-3 sounds decent. but the RV-5 was distastefully harsh with the Tone control anywhere past 7:00.

So, I got the VanAmps Sole-Mate spring reverb tank & it... is... awesome!

I also recommend the Boss FRV-1. Its much better albeit less versatile than the RV-5.
Mesa Roadster, Egnater Rebel, Orange Terror, Blackheart Giant • Ric 360MG, Schecter C1, Martin OMC15, Moog Phatty/6 Foogers, Korg microXL/Electribe MX • Alesis, Boss, Mackie, Peterson, Radial ( o )==#
http://gamefreaks.net/defrag/personal/music.html ♪♫

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:09 pm

Van Cleef wrote:the correct answer is neither

the rv3 is overrated rubbish - i spent a month trying to get something good going with it but it just didn't sound that great - - -

check out the muza fd90 - though you might find that one of your other delays will be redundant....

10 delays, 11 verbs, 4 programmable presets, stereo in and out - 12 second looper and tap tempo... it's my bloody valentine in a stompbox - and it self-oscillates like mad - and it's under $100 :)

This looks interesting and the MBV reference got me. Is this thing housed in plastic? Do you know if the inputs are PCB mounted? I've had a lot of trouble with the Danelectro pedals due to the PCB mounting. They sound great, but break after very little use.

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:32 am

baytamusic wrote:
Van Cleef wrote:the correct answer is neither

This looks interesting and the MBV reference got me. Is this thing housed in plastic? Do you know if the inputs are PCB mounted? I've had a lot of trouble with the Danelectro pedals due to the PCB mounting. They sound great, but break after very little use.
it's housed in metal and the jacks are metal... i haven't taken it apart - so not sure..

it seems to be well put together... and it's about $80 on ebay - hell, i'm probably going to buy a second one...

ummm.....

it's insane
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/