60%
SG!
40%

Total votes: 40

ironlung40
Orange Master

Re: Poll! Les Paul or SG!

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:46 pm

am I the only one who doesn't like the seams on the dual maple piece caps you see on most gibson maple capped guitars? Is it too much to ask for a one piece?
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:19 pm

baytamusic wrote:Them is four ugly looking guitars.
Fixed :D .

Flamed Maple just looks wrong on an SG for some reason. I don't mind the bookmatching seam so much if it's on a PRS or something more appropriate.

ironlung40
Orange Master

Post by ironlung40 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:02 pm

Randy Bass wrote:

Flamed Maple just looks wrong on an SG for some reason. I don't mind the bookmatching seam so much if it's on a PRS or something more appropriate.

Yeah, for some reason to me, the flamed maple on an SG looks fake or like the photo or foto flame you see on some of the older Strats. Although foto-flame can look great, sometimes, I guess. Hell, I dunno, I just know it looks amiss on an SG, but looks good on prs and lp's. Why is this? I've really haven't given it much thought, other than at first glance it just looks wrong to me.
Sincerely,
Ironlung40
OR120 Pix/text
Tiny Terror HW
Rocker 30 combo
Rockververb 100 MKII
Thunderverb 200
Gibson SG 61 RI

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:05 pm

ironlung40 wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:

Yeah, for some reason to me, the flamed maple on an SG looks fake or like the photo or foto flame you see on some of the older Strats. Although foto-flame can look great, sometimes, I guess. Hell, I dunno, I just know it looks amiss on an SG, but looks good on prs and lp's. Why is this? I've really haven't given it much thought, other than at first glance it just looks wrong to me.
Carved top guitars work better with Flame or Figured tops, so the SG looks a bit fake with the Flamed slab top. I'd still take one for free, but I'd only play it at home where no one could see it :D .

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:54 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
jason41224 wrote:i started off on an SG, and my second guitar was a LP. i just loved how light the SG was. i could play that thing for hours, and if i had a decent one to sling around now that i'm more active in live shows, I'd way prefer it to my les paul.

that being said, on a whole les pauls sound way better to my ears. i'd like to see an SG with a maple top ;) maybe that would make a difference.

Gibson did a limited run of flamed maple top sg - they were absolutely beautiful. Will try 2 find a pic later.
i do remember that :) those were flat out gorgeous. i woulda pounced on any one of those. wish it was available in more finishes though. something like a black cherry burst would seem more SGish to me.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Bandeapart
Orange Master

Post by Bandeapart » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:07 am

I'm not a Gibson guy in general (except hollowbodies) but I can respect an LP. But it needs to be a custom or something amazing.

In all honesty, I can't stand SG's. I don't like the look, I can't stand the feel (it sits off in the wrong position for me just naturally hanging from a strap) and I don't know, the body is just so effing thin. Just not my cup of tea, but then again, I don't drink tea, I drink coffee.
Orange AD30TC, Rickenbacker 360, 52RI Tele

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:10 am

Bandeapart wrote:I can't stand the feel (it sits off in the wrong position for me just naturally hanging from a strap) and I don't know, the body is just so effing thin.
I really wanted to like SGs because I was recently gassing for a '61 RI, but after playing a '61 RI, 3 SG standards, a faded SG and an SG special, I came to the conclusion that I am not an SG guy. Sitting down it feels like longer scale than my jazzmaster, and standing up didn't really help either. I took an LP special off the rack and immediately felt like I was 10x better at playing guitar than when I was trying the SGs. I even changed it out for an LP studio with the 50s neck (not usually a big fan of thicker necks), and it still felt really natural to me.

I can understand why some people would like them, but I can't do it. I'm a LP guy at heart. And maybe even a fender guy before that!

jackincaves
Rocker

Post by jackincaves » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:44 am

Voted SG purely because I don't think my back would forgive me if I tried to play a LP every night on stage.

Live, I play a Tokai SG Junior that weighs almost nothing, cost almost nothing and yet still looks and sounds amazing plus I'm not scared of it getting smashed in half, which is a serious risk at our shows! It's gonna be replaced for some live duties by a First Act Lola I bought for £26 though because I definitely won't care if something happens to that!
The band - FOR EYES - http://www.facebook.com/foreyesband

First Act Delia -> Joyo Ultimate Drive -> Napalm Volume -> Line6 DL4 -> MXR Smart Gate -> Rocker 30 -> PPC212 + Matamp 4x12

pinkpunkcaddy
Rocker

Post by pinkpunkcaddy » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

I voted Les Paul. I've owned several.

But as long as it has a P90 in it, I'll play either!
Orange AD30TC Combo
Orange Rocker 30
Orange AD200
1967 Fender Princeton Reverb
Marshall 4x12
Ampeg 6X10
Gibson Les Paul Jr.
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Les Paul Jr. DC
Mario Guitars Jazzmaster
Eastman Slope Shoulder

Deacon Blues
Orange Master

Post by Deacon Blues » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:58 pm

i'm a les paul fan but i have to admit the SG is a much more ergonomic design. its lighter and has better upper fret access.

however, i've owned 2 and couldn't get on with either of em. i've also owned pauls that i couldn't get on with though too.
My name is Alex. I used to have an AD30HTC, but now I have an RV50 and PPC212.

Skerrybear

Post by Skerrybear » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:32 pm

The LP sounds awfully muffled to me, but the balance feels good. The SG is a tad easier to play, but the neck always wants to do a divebomb into the monitor. I like the sound of the SG better, but the look of the LP. Tough call, really. The SG seems sharper, more defined than the LP. Both of them are reaching out a bit cause I keep my strap so short the guitar touches my chest lol. In my sig the guitar is slightly low slung for me :P

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:35 pm

pinkpunkcaddy wrote:I voted Les Paul. I've owned several.

But as long as it has a P90 in it, I'll play either!
Duuuude, your Gibson is so sick man! I'm not a fan of the LP style bodies, but I'll take a flat-top with a single P90 in it anyday!
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

merlhagstrom
Orange Hero

Post by merlhagstrom » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:01 am

What is an SG? As far as I know there is but one lord of the rock and it is Les Paul.

Yes Yes I have heard of AC/DC :D
THUNDERVERBER FOR LIFE

Dign'my new TT Still the best bang --EVER

No Pedals

Former Marshall addict..

http://www.myspace.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/pro ... 1239257924" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://soundcloud.com/zipperneck" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Orphin
Duke of Orange

Post by Orphin » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:48 pm

Le Chat Noir wrote:Flying V! ;)
Non Reverse Firebird! :twisted:
David
I'm speaking out of my a$$. Yours might differ.

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:04 pm

Orphin wrote:
Le Chat Noir wrote:Flying V! ;)
Non Reverse Firebird! :twisted:
Reverse Flying V! :shock: