Decisions

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

pinnback

Post by pinnback » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:27 am

Hi, im new here. and well, i desperately want an orange amp. My budget is around 1,200 bucks. I dont know what to get! I've been checking ebay for a while now. I basically want something loud, the OR 120 looks perfect but it seems to be a little out of my price range. :( I'm in a harder band that can be considered like punk with screaming i guess, hahh. Our music is in the vein of transistor, transistor and the fall of troy, both which might i add use oranges. As far as the models they use i'm not quite sure and i've been trying to find out. So give me any suggestions you have! Also is ebay the way to go on getting a deal or is there a better alternative?

thanks,
josh

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Jul 21, 2005 6:34 am

You should have no problem getting an OR-120 for $1200. If that's what you want, i'd be patient and wait for the right one to come along. It'll happen...They're fantastic amps, and definitely worth staking out eBay for a while to find one that suits you.

Who from Transistor Transistor plays an Orange? I always saw them with Marshalls. I worked on Nate's JMP a while back. Then again, I probably haven't seen them in over a year. ;).

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

pinnback

Post by pinnback » Thu Jul 21, 2005 8:06 am

I'm not sure but i think its a recent development. They just came out with a new cd (erase all names and likeness) and inside the booklet there is a picture of their equipment and i noticed one of the guitarists was using an orange head with a hiwatt cab. Man i didnt think anyone on here would know who transistor, transistor even was, thats coooool.

Andy H.
Duke of Orange

Post by Andy H. » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:35 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Man i didnt think anyone on here would know who transistor, transistor even was, thats coooool.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Hey, you get all sorts here...! ;) Welcome to the colourful world of Orange, pinnback! :)

I'd agree with Nick - try to find a sensibly priced OR120. They truly are one of THE great amps, and you did say you wanted something loud!

So who are Transistor Transistor then? Glad its just a name they chose and not a way of life...

Andy.
Only dimly aware of existence, a dimly existing awareness...

You get a wonderful view from the point of no return.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:48 am

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by pinnback</i>
<br />I'm not sure but i think its a recent development. They just came out with a new cd (erase all names and likeness) and inside the booklet there is a picture of their equipment and i noticed one of the guitarists was using an orange head with a hiwatt cab. Man i didnt think anyone on here would know who transistor, transistor even was, thats coooool.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">Yeah, my old band used to play with TX2 pretty often. We used to share gear sometimes too, which is ironic because I have an OR-120 and Hiwatt cab. Though i'm pretty sure I was still using a JCM800 with that Hiwatt cab at the time (my Orange was out of comission for almost a year). ;)

Yeah man...if you seen any online ads or eBay auctions you want opinions on. Just post them up and we'll have a look. I can speak for myself as well as others on the board in saying that we'll be able to spot any lemons pretty quick.

Take care...

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

bassdrop
Orange Master

Post by bassdrop » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:17 pm

I must add that its well worth getting the right amp first even if you have to go into debt a little to get there since it'll cost you more in the long run the other way round.
mmmmmm drop

Guthrie Matthews Method
http://www.guthriematthews.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Modified Fender Custom Shop Jazz, Warmoth P/J clone,
Orange AD200 MkIII, Barefaced Compact

trentonvox
Tiny Terror

Post by trentonvox » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:07 pm

just get a supro amp

Norrin Radd
Duke of Orange

Post by Norrin Radd » Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:53 pm

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bassdrop</i>
<br />I must add that its well worth getting the right amp first even if you have to go into debt a little to get there since it'll cost you more in the long run the other way round.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

+1! Might be more now, but you will save a ton in the long run. Take it from those of us who have already been on that perfect amp quest! ;)
Greg

FrancesTheMute

Post by FrancesTheMute » Thu Jul 21, 2005 11:12 pm

I was just wondering if you like the band Pinback? Theyre an awesome band. I've never heard of Transistor but if they sound anything like Pinback, then they must be good.

pinnback

Post by pinnback » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:38 pm

awwwesome, ill deffinetely post anything im interested in to get your opinions. Fiveightandten, that's super rad about you guys playing with transistor transistor. What band were you in(are you still a band)??? I wanna hear your stuff! And frances yeah, pinback rules. Transistor transistor id say is quite a bit different though, hah. But both of them are deffinetely cool!

pinnback

Post by pinnback » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:40 pm

oh i just realised you said old band. But what about now?? Are you playing in anything? If you ever need a show in mid california we should deffinetely play.