TH30 or AD30HTC

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

355Hero

TH30 or AD30HTC

Post by 355Hero » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:30 am

Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I'm looking at buying either the TH30 or AD30 and I'm not sure which to go for. The local shop only has one Thunderverb series so I can't easily compare the two...aside from youtube clips of course. Anyway as I play mostly 60s/70s rock and 90s indie I think that the AD30 is of course the one to go for but I really can't live without an effects loop which of course the TH30 has. So I guess my question is will the TH30 get me anywhere close to the AD30 sound? Also why is it significantly cheaper than the AD30?

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Re: TH30 or AD30HTC

Post by Le Chat Noir » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:07 pm

355Hero wrote:Also why is it significantly cheaper than the AD30?
It's cheaper because it's totally made in China.
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:47 pm

the thunder 30 is much more modern-voiced than the ad30. it can definitely pull off vintage rock and indie, but perhaps not with the "wow" factor you might be expecting from an orange. i use my th30 for classic rock and blues, but not for the majority of the time, and if i was in a band playing that style of music, i might consider getting a rockerverb instead. if you were playing modern hard rock, i would tell you to go for the thunder 30 for sure. for what you're saying, i think it might be wise to try it. i think guitar center has them in stock. also, premier guitar has a pretty good review of the th30. if it's too modernly voiced for you, maybe you'd be better off going for a rockerverb 50 mki. they can be found brand new for much cheaper than then rv50 mkii's. check out humbuckermusic.com and look around. i love my thunder 30, but i also like a more modern sound.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

355Hero

Post by 355Hero » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks for the replies guys. I'm leaning more towards the TH30 now I think. I did consider the rockerverb series as well btw but thought that even 50W was really a bit ridiculous for my needs and apparently there are some problems with the fx loop on it. At the moment my amp is a laney VC30 2x12 combo so I'm hoping to at least improve upon that.

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55 am

bavaro wrote:the thunder 30 is much more modern-voiced than the ad30. it can definitely pull off vintage rock and indie, but perhaps not with the "wow" factor you might be expecting from an orange. i use my th30 for classic rock and blues, but not for the majority of the time, and if i was in a band playing that style of music, i might consider getting a rockerverb instead. if you were playing modern hard rock, i would tell you to go for the thunder 30 for sure. for what you're saying, i think it might be wise to try it. i think guitar center has them in stock. also, premier guitar has a pretty good review of the th30. if it's too modernly voiced for you, maybe you'd be better off going for a rockerverb 50 mki. they can be found brand new for much cheaper than then rv50 mkii's. check out humbuckermusic.com and look around. i love my thunder 30, but i also like a more modern sound.
mmm, the RV is more modern voiced, like your TH30. before the TH30, it was Orange's highest-gain amp by far. a vintage sounding alternative might be the Rocker 30. the R30 isn't just a RV without the reverb, it's a completely different sounding amp. it's an unfortunate name choice, if you ask me :P
355Hero wrote:Hi everyone,

I need some advice. I'm looking at buying either the TH30 or AD30 and I'm not sure which to go for. The local shop only has one Thunderverb series so I can't easily compare the two...aside from youtube clips of course. Anyway as I play mostly 60s/70s rock and 90s indie I think that the AD30 is of course the one to go for but I really can't live without an effects loop which of course the TH30 has. So I guess my question is will the TH30 get me anywhere close to the AD30 sound? Also why is it significantly cheaper than the AD30?
like a poster said a little earlier, i don't think the TH30 will really satisfy your needs if you want that kinda sound. if you're gawking at the price of an AD30, you might want to consider the Rocker 30. they're discontinued, but you can find them used around $900 for a head.you would get much better classic rock and indie tones out of the R30 than the TH30

humbucker has one brand new right here: http://www.humbuckermusic.com/orro30he.html
you'll find better prices for them used, of course, but at least there's one in stock here.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

bavaro
Orange Hero

Post by bavaro » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:06 am

jason41224 wrote:
bavaro wrote:the thunder 30 is much more modern-voiced than the ad30. it can definitely pull off vintage rock and indie, but perhaps not with the "wow" factor you might be expecting from an orange. i use my th30 for classic rock and blues, but not for the majority of the time, and if i was in a band playing that style of music, i might consider getting a rockerverb instead. if you were playing modern hard rock, i would tell you to go for the thunder 30 for sure. for what you're saying, i think it might be wise to try it. i think guitar center has them in stock. also, premier guitar has a pretty good review of the th30. if it's too modernly voiced for you, maybe you'd be better off going for a rockerverb 50 mki. they can be found brand new for much cheaper than then rv50 mkii's. check out humbuckermusic.com and look around. i love my thunder 30, but i also like a more modern sound.
mmm, the RV is more modern voiced, like your TH30. before the TH30, it was Orange's highest-gain amp by far. a vintage sounding alternative might be the Rocker 30. the R30 isn't just a RV without the reverb, it's a completely different sounding amp. it's an unfortunate name choice, if you ask me :P
ohhh. i always thought the tv50's were more modern, and the rv50's more vintage, though obviously both are very versatile. i know the r30 is definitely very different than the rv50, but i thought they were both kind of vintagey.
Rocker 30
strymon el cap
tc polytune
apogee one
harpoon hefeweizen

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:28 am

bavaro wrote:ohhh. i always thought the tv50's were more modern, and the rv50's more vintage, though obviously both are very versatile. i know the r30 is definitely very different than the rv50, but i thought they were both kind of vintagey.
yep, the thunderverb is actually pretty vintage sounding in its own right. nothing like the TH30. and likewise, the rockerverb is pretty modern sounding. nothing like the rocker 30

add some "vintage 30s" to the mix and we have enough confusion to keep orange in business for years to come! :lol:
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

StratusX
Rocker

Post by StratusX » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:33 am

355Hero wrote:Hi everyone,

I'd say look at either the Rocker 30 or the AD30 for sure. However, neither of these amps have an effects loop.

Why exactly can't you live without an effects loop? Several people run all their effects, including delay and chorus, all in front of their AD30s
Hi, my name is Ian.
1973 Gibson SG
2009 Gibson Melody Maker
2011 Gibson Midtown Standard
2006 Schecter Hellraiser
Orange Micro Terror
Orange PPC108 X 2
Orange AD30HTC
Orange PPC212

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:35 am

i agree. honestly, the difference an FX loop has is pretty minimal. and with orange, you won't be missing much since the power stage isn't exactly clean as say, a fender.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

355Hero

Post by 355Hero » Wed Feb 02, 2011 9:40 am

Thanks again for all the replies. Well now I am a bit less sold on the TH30...I'd been led to believe that all of Orange's sales talk of heavy gain was really doing it a dis-service on the 'vintage' sounds. Anyway I'm sure I would love the AD30 but it's just the lack of fx loop and not really the price that puts me off. Same goes for the Rocker30. For years I just used to run all of my fx in front of the amp until I learned how to really use them properly, i.e. that by putting all time based fx after the preamp they will sound much better etc...so therefore I would consider that a step backwards...but maybe you're right and it's different with an Orange.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:09 pm

You should really perhap’s consider the RV50 – whilst it is modern voiced, it does vintage very well, though not as well as the AD30.
In many ways, I feel the RV50 is an underated amp – it’s so versatile it’s incredible. Perhaps not ideal to do tight metal things, but it can do all the rest very well and has superb low/mid gain tones, as well as, IMO, the best clean channel in the Orange line.

And it’s low volume tone is so good it makes secondary practice amp redundant – or just almost… Combo or head + cab, the RV50 isn’t a pleasure to move!!!!! :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Aslan
Orange Master

Post by Aslan » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:30 pm

I'm going to go against the crowd here and recommend the TH30, I've had a chance to play a friends several times and I am totally impressed with the TH30, especially for the money. The clean channel is worth the price of the amp alone but the dirty channel is a gigging musicians dream, if your band has to cover a lot of sonic territory like I do than a TH30 would be my first choice (and I play a Orange Retro 50 and a Rockerverb). I will admit that I was never a big fan of the AD30 amps so this may bias my opinions but I would try the TH30 out before you purchase the AD30 to compare the tones, good luck in your search.

Gear:
Retro 50 & PPC212
RV50H & PPC212
65Amps Royal Albert
65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS David Grissom
PRS Prism
PRS Santana MD
PRS 305
PRS Hollowbody II single cut
PRS Sunburst 22

Dopp238
Orange Hero

Post by Dopp238 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:39 pm

I am also biased, and there's no doubt that you want the AD30. If you're talking about the indie rock sound, that is THE amp that you're looking for. And when you decide to crank the gain just a little bit more, you get a great natural overdrive that would sound excellent for classic rock. The TH30 is voiced wayyyyy more modern and is made by chinamen, which I think is the correct nomenclature... (anybody?)

I don't think you'll be AS happy with the TH30, not that you wouldn't enjoy it, but I believe that an AD30 would really hit the spot for the sound that you're going after.
Daniel.

AD30HTC / PPC412 / PPC212 / 92 Les Paul Studio / 07 Fender Tele

Le Chat Noir
Duke of Orange

Post by Le Chat Noir » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:40 pm

By the way... if your location is Aberdeen, Scotland not Aberdeen, USA, you can often find very good deals on AD30TC or R combos in the UK used market... just throwing that out there if price difference is an issue. I picked up my AD30TC in mint condition about 5 years ago for less than what a new TH30 combo sells for now and I've seen plenty go on Ebay for the same kind of price. Used Oranges hold their price better in the US though I think...
Teddy
The Blackwater Rebellion: 2-piece alt rock duo http://theblackwaterrebellion.bandcamp.com/
I play an AD30TC

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:44 pm

Dopp238 wrote:I am also biased, and there's no doubt that you want the AD30. If you're talking about the indie rock sound, that is THE amp that you're looking for. And when you decide to crank the gain just a little bit more, you get a great natural overdrive that would sound excellent for classic rock. The TH30 is voiced wayyyyy more modern and is made by chinamen, which I think is the correct nomenclature... (anybody?)

I don't think you'll be AS happy with the TH30, not that you wouldn't enjoy it, but I believe that an AD30 would really hit the spot for the sound that you're going after.
dude, chinaman is not the preferred nomenclature. asian-american, please.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?