30%
Classic White '61 SG RI
70%

Total votes: 20

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: Advice? Les Paul Special vs. '61 SG RI

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:10 pm

Its a real shame there are issues still with Gibsons quality control, I thought over the last 3 years or so, things had improved considerably- a studio is still a fairly expensive guitar, Gibson should be getting it right.

By the same token buying without seeing/ playing is a massive risk and a way certain companies may get rid of guitars that have minor issues.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

myboss57
Orange Master

Post by myboss57 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:49 pm

On another note, I'm now back to gassing for a Rickenbacker 620 (which I have been for a while, as some of you are aware). So, I'm gonna buy one of those hopefully by the end of the month. I have a secret method of getting a ridiculous deal on one that I will share after I am successful. hehe. 8) I'm gonna give the high-gain single coils a try, but I'm pretty curious about how the rick humbuckers would sound with an orange. Any Rick players use the hb-1s into their Oranges? I plan on giving the 330k stock pots a try (with hb-1s) but will probably swap them out for 500ks, maybe switch the tone caps to .03uf from .047uf. I'm getting way ahead of myself here.
Dude, I'd loooove to get a Ric 620, I used to have a 360 and the 620 is basically the same playability/feel, only in a solid body. Seriously sweet guitar and the single coils should sound great with your Orange! I never used the HB-1s, but did have GFS Humbuckers (ones that looked like Ric singles) put in my 360, great sound too - plenty of clarity and output, just hum-cancelling.
And please share your secret about getting a good deal on a 620! :wink:
Gibson SG Standard
http://www.nightmovesmd.bandcamp.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sovtek Mig 100h
TC Alter Ego
Mesa Oversized 412
Prev amps: 90s OD120, Tiny Terror, Rockerverb 100mk1

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:26 pm

I guess you saw the black Les Paul Studio Mahogany that is exclusive to Guitar Center? It's got the 60's neck and a mahogany top, but only comes in black (satin finish I think).

What about a white LP Junior? Maybe it's too similar to the Special, but that's not a bad thing if you like 'em both. I seem to recall that combination coming out on top in Bayta's thorough and exhaustive tone quest.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:14 pm

myboss57 wrote: And please share your secret about getting a good deal on a 620! :wink:

Well, I guess I'll spill the beans. When Musicians Friend has 15% off sales on stuff (usually for holidays), lots of brands are excluded (including Fender/Gibson/Orange). BUT Rickenbackers aren't so you can get a 620 for about $1150 new, and good deals on the rest of their in-stock Ricks!

I'm patiently waiting for the next MF sale and I'm gonna buy a 620 so I get dibs. 8)

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:19 pm

Randy Bass wrote:I guess you saw the black Les Paul Studio Mahogany that is exclusive to Guitar Center? It's got the 60's neck and a mahogany top, but only comes in black (satin finish I think).

What about a white LP Junior? Maybe it's too similar to the Special, but that's not a bad thing if you like 'em both. I seem to recall that combination coming out on top in Bayta's thorough and exhaustive tone quest.
I thought the studio mahogony LPs had the 50s neck? I'll have to check them out again. I think it comes in white but a white satin finish is a deal-breaker for me. It'll be get worn looking too quick for my taste.

Maybe I'll get a junior one day but it's a little close to the special for me to justify spending the money on the the moment. A white junior would be a cute counterpart to my TV yellow special.

chinese fork tie
Orange Master

Post by chinese fork tie » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:25 pm

indianDYsummer wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:I guess you saw the black Les Paul Studio Mahogany that is exclusive to Guitar Center? It's got the 60's neck and a mahogany top, but only comes in black (satin finish I think).

I thought the studio mahogony LPs had the 50s neck? I'll have to check them out again. I think it comes in white but a white satin finish is a deal-breaker for me. It'll be get worn looking too quick for my taste.

Maybe I'll get a junior one day but it's a little close to the special for me to justify spending the money on the the moment. A white junior would be a cute counterpart to my TV yellow special.
i love worn finishes. i'd get the white satin and gig with it for 6 months or so, right about to where the finish is starting to wear through from all the sweat. love that look on a guitar.
http://myspace.com/rewritedept
i gotta movie in my head! you wanna see it?

Randy Bass
Lord of Orange

Post by Randy Bass » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:12 am

indianDYsummer wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:I guess you saw the black Les Paul Studio Mahogany that is exclusive to Guitar Center? It's got the 60's neck and a mahogany top, but only comes in black (satin finish I think)...
I thought the studio mahogony LPs had the 50s neck? I'll have to check them out again. I think it comes in white but a white satin finish is a deal-breaker for me. It'll be get worn looking too quick for my taste...
It is only the Les Paul Studio 60's Mahogany (for Guitar Center) with the 60's neck as far as I know. I think I found it on the Gibson site. I think it's only available in Satin Ebony though. It looks better than a normal black Studio, but nowhere near as good as Alpine White.

indianDYsummer
Orange Master

Post by indianDYsummer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:48 am

Randy Bass wrote:
indianDYsummer wrote:
Randy Bass wrote:I guess you saw the black Les Paul Studio Mahogany that is exclusive to Guitar Center? It's got the 60's neck and a mahogany top, but only comes in black (satin finish I think)...
I thought the studio mahogony LPs had the 50s neck? I'll have to check them out again. I think it comes in white but a white satin finish is a deal-breaker for me. It'll be get worn looking too quick for my taste...
It is only the Les Paul Studio 60's Mahogany (for Guitar Center) with the 60's neck as far as I know. I think I found it on the Gibson site. I think it's only available in Satin Ebony though. It looks better than a normal black Studio, but nowhere near as good as Alpine White.

Oh yeah, I saw the 60s mahogany on Gibson's website, it looks pretty cool but ideally I'd want one in Alpine White with a gloss finish haha. Neck binding would be nice, and I could do without the tuxedo style body binding. I think there's also a studio mahogany with the 50s neck, which comes in white/black.

I've still got about 50 years of guitar playing in me so I should leave myself something to hope for.... ;)