Backing Tracks?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jason41224
Orange Master

Re: Backing Tracks?

Post by jason41224 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:27 am

Van Cleef wrote:just about everything else?

i think there would be more genres that don't use click tracks than those that do

i can understand br00tal metal using a click track...

but punk? grunge? folk? alt? indie?

i can't picture steve shelley or murph using a click track - who knows maybe they do
punk no (it's not really meant to be tight anyways). grunge, folk, maybe. depends on the group. alt yes. indie yes.

most pros do use one, surprisingly. either that or their drummer happened to be an LA session drummer for top 40 artists. in that case, he has a surgically implanted a metronome next to his pelvis 8)
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

baytamusic
Duke of Orange

Post by baytamusic » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:38 am

jason41224 wrote:
Van Cleef wrote:just about everything else?

i think there would be more genres that don't use click tracks than those that do

i can understand br00tal metal using a click track...

but punk? grunge? folk? alt? indie?

i can't picture steve shelley or murph using a click track - who knows maybe they do
punk no (it's not really meant to be tight anyways). grunge, folk, maybe. depends on the group. alt yes. indie yes.

most pros do use one, surprisingly. either that or their drummer happened to be an LA session drummer for top 40 artists. in that case, he has a surgically implanted a metronome next to his pelvis 8)
I'm calling BS on this one. I've seen hundreds of alternative and indie rock bands and I've rarely seen drummers with in-ears. If you have synths or time sensitive samples then sure, you have to, but it's by no means necessary and in a way can really sterilize a band. I have friends on large indie labels, like the really big ones, I'm not going to sit around and name drop, but NONE of them play with click tracks...

David Verb
Rocker

Post by David Verb » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:51 am

My most favourite live Australian band would have to be Cog. Best live band, in terms of sound, performance & energy.

They're a 3 piece band, but use a couple more layers in the studio. So they too use backing tracks. I really enjoy these performance because they are so tight. And the odd extra track or two really completes the mix.

Vocals are always live though! I think that is really important.
Amp
Orange Rockerverb 100

Cabinet
PPC 412 HP 8

Van Cleef
Orange Master

Post by Van Cleef » Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:54 am

the mark of cain are (were) heavier, tighter, meaner, and had just as wacky time signatures and they are a three piece - no samples, not frippery... and they play with 'bowel movement triggering' intensity...

wish they'd release their latest album damnit
LIKE SPACE ROCK? = VAN CLEEF @ BANDCAMP http://vancleef.bandcamp.com/

jason41224
Orange Master

Post by jason41224 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:19 am

baytamusic wrote:I'm calling BS on this one. I've seen hundreds of alternative and indie rock bands and I've rarely seen drummers with in-ears. If you have synths or time sensitive samples then sure, you have to, but it's by no means necessary and in a way can really sterilize a band. I have friends on large indie labels, like the really big ones, I'm not going to sit around and name drop, but NONE of them play with click tracks...
fair enough. some music needs to kinda flow, and not be tied to tempo. i get that. but there's a lot of music that is just the opposite of that. a lot of music needs to be tight as can be. it's not even an issue of dealing with time sensitive tracks or instruments as much as it's an issue of playing together as a band well.
Jason
Rocker 30
too many pedals

Borderline Productions
Orange Master

Post by Borderline Productions » Mon Jan 31, 2011 8:15 pm

If there are added tracks to a live performance then the advertisements need to say

Mostly Live!!

A band is only as good as they are live, but that I mean fully live.

At least when Todd Rundgren did this, he was up front about it. It would be him, the piano, and a tape deck on the stage.
Bob

http://www.purevolume.com/oxymora" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;