Duo Jet /w Dynasonics? Anyone have one?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

xenious
Orange Hero

Duo Jet /w Dynasonics? Anyone have one?

Post by xenious » Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Got my eye on a 6128T-CG and was wondering how the Dynasonics sound in Orange land. Heard a few demos on YT, but couldn't find a lot. How's the 60 cycle hum?
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

araT
Tiny Terror

Re: Duo Jet /w Dynasonics? Anyone have one?

Post by araT » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:53 am

I've got one, a 6128T-57, along with a 6128T (the one with Filtertrons) as you can see in my sig pic, I love them both to death, they're my favourite 2 guitars!!

I don't have any hum out of mine, no modifications, it's much quieter than I expected it to be, quieter than any of my other single coil guitars (before I fixed 'em).. and those Dynas sound AMAZING, very juicy beefy twangy single coil sound, nothing at all like fender single coil tones, you can almost get close to P90ish tones with certain settings.. they're just so rich & full

Come & check out http://www.gretsch-talk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - it's a great forum, loads of friendly helpful people! It's my main haunt. I'm known as the Jet Queen 'round there ;)

Congrats in advance on your Caddy Green Jet! you'll LOVE it! :mrgreen:

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:09 am

Ummmm yeah. Very cool. TV jones makes a replacement that's higher output if you ever get the urge. I had one of those CGs briefly, absolutely gorgeous. I ended up with a powerjet. But I'll take dynas over powertrons any day of the week.

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Purveyor of permanent hearing loss since 1978

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:47 pm

I have the same Duo Jet as araT (6128T-57) and I agree with everything she had to say about it. The pickups are kind of a cross between a Tele or Strat single coil and a P90. They have a a lot more jangle and are quite a bit clearer/cleaner than the p90s I've tried so it makes them pretty versatile. I'm a big fan of my Duo Jet and would say it's my #2 go-to guitar. I am going to look into the T-Armonds though. Very interesting.

Joe, what Jet is that you have? That thing is gorgeous! I've never really been a fan of black guitars, honestly but this Duo Jet played and sounded so damn good I looked past the color. :lol:

Jake
OrangePaul wrote:Ok gitar lead to you Jake :D
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:21 pm

Hey Jake

I bought this one

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/prod ... sku=424145" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I installed Hilo Trons from TV Jones in it and they are definately clearer but very low output. I've asked to return them as he has T-Armond dynasonics and P90s that fit in a filtertron spot coming out (hopefully soon).

The dynas are as you've described them in my experience. I think I could flip a coin between a pair of dynas or P90s and either way be happy...

I think a Gretsch just flat out has to twang or I feel like I'm being cheated! :D

-Joe

http://soundclick.com/blackvelvetelvis" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:39 pm

pages plexitone wrote:I think a Gretsch just flat out has to twang or I feel like I'm being cheated! :D
HAHA, that's a very true statement.

If you end up with the T-Armonds, PM me. I'd like to know your thoughts on them since I know you had a round of the Dynas a while ago and you didn't really care for the neck pickup. I'm curious of their overall balance between them since I think some of the best tones are from the middle position with the Dynas.
Jake
"One of the 400"

http://www.purevolume.com/JakeMcallasterBand/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

JRogero
Orange Hero

Post by JRogero » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:16 pm

pages plexitone, I am really digging the Gretsch in your sig photo. That's a mighty fine looking guitar.

Gretschguy

Post by Gretschguy » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:12 am

My white penguin has dynes in it and the sound is magnificent especially through my rv50.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:51 am

I had a Penguin for a while and it was a very cool guitar. I agree with the beefy twang tones. I had a lot of fun with it AD30T, but I highly prefered the tone of the TV Jones Powertron pickups. Dyna's are cool and all, I loved the tone, but wasn't in love with the tone... :P

Jet's rock. Seriously killer guitars, a blast to play, fun neck, light, sound amazing. I love mine more than any LP I owned. Good choice! Caddy Green is a hot color too!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

araT
Tiny Terror

Post by araT » Sat Jan 22, 2011 9:36 am

Wired wrote:Jet's rock. Seriously killer guitars, a blast to play, fun neck, light, sound amazing. I love mine more than any LP I owned. Good choice! Caddy Green is a hot color too!
I echo those sentiments! I consider them among the best guitars on the planet :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

pages plexitone
Orange Master

Post by pages plexitone » Sat Jan 22, 2011 5:36 pm

Will do Jake, I think T Armonds would be smashing and be correct in a cosmic way. I'll let you know what I think.

JRogero thanks. That pic doesn't do it any justice. I think it will be a very orange night when I drag it to a show with my AD140 :)

That tru arc bridge is cool. If I had my dream jet, it would be a caddy green one TV Jones single coils, a tru arc on a pinned bridge, the spertzals, with a 59 gibson neck profile. The caddy green is just gorgeous in daylight. When playing it in a dark bar people would ask about my black les paul :(

-Joe

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:13 pm

Well this thread definitely made up my mind as to which second guitar is coming with me to the gig tonight. I'm really curious as to how the Genz Benz BP30 is going to sound cranked up with the Tele and Duo Jet. Kind of excited actually. 8)
Jake
"One of the 400"

xenious
Orange Hero

Post by xenious » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:37 pm

You guys twisted my arm. Ordered the 6128TCG. Can't wait to get it. It will be the only guitar w single coils that I own (so far). ;)
-Xen
"Ran into a juke joint when I heard a guitar scream. The notes were turning blue. I was dazing in a dream."

OR50, Vox AC4
LP Standard Faded, JEM, ES-335
Custom King Bee relic tele /w TV Jones
Reverse Flying V
Epi EL-00

Thinline_slim
Orange Master

Post by Thinline_slim » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:33 pm

Nice! You'll have to post pics when you get it and let us know what you think.

After my gig Saturday I found something pretty interesting out. I've played the Duo Jet with my Orange amps often enough to know it sounds good, really good in fact. But Saturday I had my Genz Benz Black Pearl 30, which is a take on the Vox AC30 circuit and the Duo Jet sounded absolutely killer!

With the Oranges the neck pickup usually sounded pretty muddy, but was a decent rhythm option because of it but I'll be damned that every pickup position with the BP30 was articulate, punchy and was able to produce some sweet lead tones. I was really impressed.

I guess George Harrison had this whole "tone" thing figured out a long time ago. :lol:
Jake
"One of the 400"

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:10 pm

Thinline_slim wrote:Nice! You'll have to post pics when you get it and let us know what you think.

After my gig Saturday I found something pretty interesting out. I've played the Duo Jet with my Orange amps often enough to know it sounds good, really good in fact. But Saturday I had my Genz Benz Black Pearl 30, which is a take on the Vox AC30 circuit and the Duo Jet sounded absolutely killer!

With the Oranges the neck pickup usually sounded pretty muddy, but was a decent rhythm option because of it but I'll be damned that every pickup position with the BP30 was articulate, punchy and was able to produce some sweet lead tones. I was really impressed.

I guess George Harrison had this whole "tone" thing figured out a long time ago. :lol:
I noticed that too when I was using the Penguin through the AD30. Which is one of the reasons why I ended up trading it out for a Powerjet Firebird. Which sounds fantastic with both my Dual Terror and my AC30!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet